Culture competence

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
ChloeAiden

Culture competence

Post by ChloeAiden » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:14 pm

Please all,

I am half way through the culture competence unit and i am completely stuck with the questions below:

6. Many Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people have experienced trauma. Give an example of how this may impact on their ability to:
● Make decisions about their well-being or that of their family
● Communicate with others
● Understand/problem solve
● Retain information

and

8. Explain the importance of ‘law’ in Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander culture.

Please help. Thanks

Lorina

Re: Culture competence

Post by Lorina » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:33 am

6. This may help:

ATSI Wellbeing
Grief, Loss and Trauma

8. Customary law in Australia relates to the systems and practices amongst Aboriginal Australians which have developed over time from accepted moral norms in Aboriginal societies, and which regulate human behaviour, mandate specific sanctions for non-compliance, and connect people with the land and with each other, through a system of relationships. Customary laws are passed on by word of mouth and are not codified (nor can they be easily codified). In addition, they are not singular throughout Australia — different language groups and clans have different concepts of customary law, and what applies to one group or region cannot be assumed to be universal.

Historically, customary law has not been recognised as part of the canon of Australian law. But, since the late twentieth century, the Australian Law Reform Commission (1986) and the Law Reform Commission of Western Australia (2005) have written extensive reports investigating the desirability of recognising the role of customary law in legal situations involving Aboriginal Australians. In the Northern Territory, some statutes and courts make explicit reference to customary law where such is useful in identifying relationships or social expectations. These changes have not been without controversy, especially in cases where customary law is either imprecise or infringes upon human rights.

Ref: Customary Law In Australia

:geek:,
Lorina

ChloeAiden

Re: Culture competence

Post by ChloeAiden » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:01 pm

Thanks Lorina.

The information you provided is very useful.

Many thanks for your help.

Can you please guide me with this question? I cant find any useful information.

11. How can educators demonstrate respect and learn more about the various dialects of the local Aboriginal people