children's speech

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
jensen2017
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

children's speech

Post by jensen2017 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:08 am

some help please. I've had one of my parents approach me with concerns about their child's speech. they are wanting to eventually get a referral for a speech pathologist but have asked if I have some sort of checklist I can do for speech (to back up their reasoning). I do my normal development checklist which cover all areas but i've never done an in depth one just on speech. This is only my first year as a qualified group leader so I'm not sure where I would find such checklist. I've researched as much as I can but can't find anything. my question is does anyone have a template or can point me in the right direction for a speech checklist? thank you

Lorina

Re: children's speech

Post by Lorina » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:12 am

what is wrong with their child's speech? have you noticed any delays?

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:14 am

how old is their child? you can just do observations, sound recordings when talking to the child if it helps...

:geek:,
Lorina

Nandy84
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nandy84 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:13 pm

Hello,

Actually, before making a checklist of speech development you need to know why the parents want to have the same? If there is any delay in the child's speech? If so, first of all it is important to know the age of the child.

A speech and language delay is when a child isn't developing speech and language at an expected rate. It's a common developmental problem that affects as many as 10% of preschool children. At the same time, it is not the thing that if the child is having delay, it is indicating some problem. A “Late Talker” is a toddler (between 18-30 months) who has good understanding of language, typically developing play skills, motor skills, thinking skills, and social skills, but has a limited spoken vocabulary for his or her age.

The child's age and exact problem are important to make a speech developmental checklist.

Thanks

Nandita