Childcare Award Wages: Classification Levels Explained

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
JasminLau

Re: Childcare Award Wages: Classification Levels Explained

Post by JasminLau » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:15 am

Thanks Lorina for your reply.

I am wondering why as a room leader I would be paid as Diploma qualified if we are paid according to our qualification, unless we are just filling the headcount as a casual? I have a friend who works as a casual through an agency and she told me that for some particular days, she would be paid by the Diploma rate as the centre just needed someone for that position for that day?

Jasmin

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:30 pm

Yes, as a casual you are usually just "filling in" for ratio purposes... I have read that even with an ECT degree unless you are actually the ECT of the service you wont be paid as such... I'm going to contact Fair Work Australia and just double check that for you... I'll let you know what they say when I get more information from them...

:geek:,
Lorina

Beckey

Post by Beckey » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:24 am

Hi, I just have a question regarding childcare pay. I have been running the centre for tive weeks while my director was in holiday. As an educational leader and 2IC, what is the right pay for running the centre for all that week and then you dont get paid as a director. I remember reading your article child care awards pay. And according to my understanding I am suposed to be paid for the higher possition if I am doing it for three conservative days.
I was told not to discuss this with the accountant as she doesnt know that I was the 2IC and will be running the centre while my director is away. I dont even know where to start as I havent even been paid according to what she has discuss with me.
Any help will be teally appreciated as I am thinking of contacting fairwork and see what they will say.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:35 pm

Beckey wrote:Hi, I just have a question regarding childcare pay. I have been running the centre for tive weeks while my director was in holiday. As an educational leader and 2IC, what is the right pay for running the centre for all that week and then you dont get paid as a director. I remember reading your article child care awards pay. And according to my understanding I am suposed to be paid for the higher possition if I am doing it for three conservative days.
I was told not to discuss this with the accountant as she doesnt know that I was the 2IC and will be running the centre while my director is away. I dont even know where to start as I havent even been paid according to what she has discuss with me.
Any help will be teally appreciated as I am thinking of contacting fairwork and see what they will say.
Yes, you're right. In the Children's Services Award 2010 it states:
18.1 An employee engaged in duties carrying a higher rate than their ordinary classification for two or more consecutive hours within any shift or day will be paid for the time so worked at the higher rate provided that:

- an employee engaged as a Children’s Services Employee Level 5 (Assistant Director) who is required to undertake the duties of a Director by reason of the Director’s absence will not be entitled to payment under this clause unless the Director’s absence exceeds two complete consecutive working days;

Since you have been running the centre for the past 5 weeks you are entitled to higher duty pay... You will need to bring up the clause in the Children's Services Award with your management at your centre, so you can be paid the correct amount.

Did you get anything in writing?

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:43 pm

Beckey wrote:Hi, I just have a question regarding childcare pay. I have been running the centre for tive weeks while my director was in holiday. As an educational leader and 2IC, what is the right pay for running the centre for all that week and then you dont get paid as a director. I remember reading your article child care awards pay. And according to my understanding I am suposed to be paid for the higher possition if I am doing it for three conservative days.
In regards to the amount owed to you from my understanding is, if you hold a Diploma qualification you will be on Level 6:
Level 6 Director

A Director is an employee who holds a relevant Degree or a 3 or 4 year Early Childhood Education qualification, or an AQF Advanced Diploma, or a Diploma in Children's Services, or a Diploma in Out - of - Hours Care; or is otherwise a person possessing such experience, or holding such qualifications deemed by the employer or the relevant legislation to be appropriate or required for the position, and who is appointed as the director of a service.

A level 6 Director minimum wage is $29.28/per hour.

So, I would discuss the issue with management to find out what will happen with your wages as you took the Directors role for those 5 weeks.

Hope this helps!

Lorina

CLEOKTM

Post by CLEOKTM » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:55 pm

Hi there!

I'm a newbie to the industry and I'm a little confused as to where I fit in.
I'm currently studying towards my Diploma, which level will that put me at once I finish my studies?
I'm then planning on going on to study towards my Bachelors degree, which level would that be once I am finished?

Any light that you can shed would be much appreciated :D

Thanks!

Greenkookaburra

Post by Greenkookaburra » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:37 pm

Hi Lorina,

I am new to the forum, and tried to post this query already, but it didn't seem to appear. If there's a time lag, and I a man jumping in too soon, I apologise in advance for posting twice.

Anyway, thank you for the detailed post. I have seen a job ad for a casual educator at an after school hours care centre. It says it is advertised at the award rate of 3A.1. However, they have asked for childcare qualifications and/or experience. Wouldn't the qualifications mean it would be level 3.1 by your definition? I have a certificate III in Education Support, which I understand qualifies me for the role. Could you please clarify whether the role should be at level 3.1, and how do you suggest I approach it?

Thank you for your help.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:08 pm

Greenkookaburra wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:37 pm
Hi Lorina,

I am new to the forum, and tried to post this query already, but it didn't seem to appear. If there's a time lag, and I a man jumping in too soon, I apologise in advance for posting twice.

Anyway, thank you for the detailed post. I have seen a job ad for a casual educator at an after school hours care centre. It says it is advertised at the award rate of 3A.1. However, they have asked for childcare qualifications and/or experience. Wouldn't the qualifications mean it would be level 3.1 by your definition? I have a certificate III in Education Support, which I understand qualifies me for the role. Could you please clarify whether the role should be at level 3.1, and how do you suggest I approach it?

Thank you for your help.
Yes, you're right. A cert 3 qualified educator starts on Level 3.1. For an Educator to be classified Level 3A - this is an Educator without a cert 3 qualification yet has a cert 3 position. For example - a service cook taking up the assistant educator position would be a level 3A.

It may be an error on their part. However, I would just clarify when going for the interview. If they still insist on level 3A, then don't take the position if it gets offered to you.

Lorina

Greenkookaburra

Post by Greenkookaburra » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:53 pm

Thank you for your answer Lorina.

Just further to that, I now realise that in NSW there are no qualifications required to work as an OSHC educator. So can they use that fact to deny me the correct award level, even though they asked for the qualification for the position (as an essential requirement), or should the correct award level still definitely apply so long as I have the Certificate III? Should I be calling Fair Work Australia?

p.s. I need the work.

Linda

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:09 pm

The correct award level should definitely apply! For all early learning services including OOSH, a minimum cert 3 qualification is required and you should be paid at the correct level definitely! Yes, you can call Fair Work Australia to confirm and to back up your information...

Lorina

LucyLou

Post by LucyLou » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:41 pm

Hi Lorina,

I have recently signed a contract to start a new job as a casual assistant at a new centre.

I have over 4 years of 38-hours-a-week child care experience (working as an assistant educator April 2014 to May 2018) and have held my Certificate III for over 5 years (completed November 2013)

After getting home and checking the pay rate that I agreed on (naively thinking the 24.20 offered was my rate before 25% casual loading was added, as there was no mention of my level in the contract) I started to wonder if this really was the case and called the centre... They are trying to claim I am a level 1.1 worker and that this is what I should be payed as a casual assistant as I am "starting over" with them. They said it was because I will only be doing lunch relief and closing, not taking on a "real educator" role in a room? I am so confused. It also feels awful to be told I will no longer be a "real educator" :(

I was previously at a level 3.3 award rate in my last position. I am going to "confront" them again about this in person and try to explain how I feel this is wrong. From what I understand after reading this thread, I may become a level 3.1 employee now that I have started at a different centre. I wanted to ensure I was correct about this and wanted an expert's opinion, so I can confront them with the facts. I want to be confident in my approach while advocating for myself, so I won't be bullied into thinking I was wrong again.

Sorry for the ramble.

I was wondering if I would drop down from a level 3.3 employee to a level 3.1 employee now that I have started with a new employer? Or, am I really now considered a level 1.1 employee?

Thanks,
Lucy :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu May 02, 2019 2:59 pm

Hi Lucy,

You are definitely not at a Level 1.1 - you have completed a Cert 3 qualification which guarantees you a pay rate of a minimum of Level 3.1. Level 1.1 has nothing to do with starting over at a centre. Level 1.1 is for an Educator with no prior experience or qualification for that matter. It doesn't matter whether you are opening, closing, covering lunch roles etc. you should be paid according to your qualification (in most cases) and since you are a cert 3 qualified educator with experience you should be paid at a minimum level 3.1.

You are absolutely right in being paid at level 3.3 since you have had your qualification for over 5 years. With Levels it factors in years of service, this has nothing to do with joining at a new centre then starting again at a lower level and making your way up the levels once again. However, I have noticed that centres will often pay at a lower level until after probation then if all works out they pay you at the level you're supposed to be on - but since you are working as a casual this shouldn't apply.

I just don't understand why they are offering you a Level 1.1 pay rate!! That's a red flag straight away! If that's what they offered you, what are they offering the other Educators??

Check out the following Level information which should help your understanding:

Levels For Childcare Wages

You have to tell them that in the Children's Services Award that a Level 1 is for someone with no formal qualification while a Level 3 is for an Educator who has completed the Cert 3 Qualification!

It just makes my blood boil when services misinform Educators like this!!! What is going on?

Let me know if you need further information.

Lorina

LucyLou

Post by LucyLou » Fri May 03, 2019 11:29 am

Hi Lorina,

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

I definitely thought it wasn't correct, but because it was the director telling me, I was starting to doubt myself. It is hard to question someone in a position of authority when you are not quite sure yourself!

I went in for a chat with director and reminded her I have completed Certificate III and have had so for over 5 years and that I should not be a level 1.1 pay rate. She said she would "look into it" and started to argue with me about how she was sure the pay rate was right - but I stood my ground. I told her if they don't fix my pay rate to match my correct level by next Tuesday, I would be putting in my "one hour notice" as per contract. I felt pretty horrible being so forceful and short, but I was quite upset and she kept trying to argue the point that I did not warrant that pay rate. I didn't want to argue the point and just said my piece and left.

I guess if they don't fix my pay rate or if they decide to fire me I have dodged a bullet. I honestly don't know if I want to work there at all. I guess by questioning them I worry they will all feel animosity towards me :( If I do have to go in for work, I will be quite stressed about how I will be treated by not only by the director, but with the other educators. :(

Honestly being told I wouldn't be a "real educator" hurt my feelings quite a bit... Like you, I worry about how other staff members are being treated, or if it was just me they were trying to take advantage of. I hope no one else is being taken advantage of or otherwise mistreated.

Thank you for your help, the information you provided definitely helped.

Thanks,
Lucy :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue May 07, 2019 8:03 pm

Hi Lucy,

How did it go? Did they increase your level?

You wouldn't believe how often Directors and even Owners misguide Educators in regards to their pay rate. It's so important that as an Educator you are aware of your correct pay rate so you're not taken advantage of. That's why I'm also here to answer any questions on pay!

Don't ever feel bad to stand up for yourself! Especially when you're right!

There are plenty of other centres around that will pay you correctly and have a greater work ethic so don't worry!

Hope all is well!

Lorina

Ola

Post by Ola » Fri May 24, 2019 4:36 am

Hi i am try to start work but i am not sure how much I charge and how it the system work in charging and how much the Directors charge what is reasonable fees charges ?
Thanks Ola

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat May 25, 2019 6:40 pm

ola wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 4:36 am
Hi i am try to start work but i am not sure how much I charge and how it the system work in charging and how much the Directors charge what is reasonable fees charges ?
Thanks Ola

Hi Ola,

Are you starting up a Family Day Care?

Are you wanting to find information on fees to charge as an FDC Educator?

Lorina

Ola

Post by Ola » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:51 pm

Hi lorina

Yes i am starting up a Family Day Care
I also wanting to find more info about how the fees and charges as an Educator will be before i start

Thanks

Butterflyblue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Butterflyblue » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:16 pm

Hi Ola,
Put up a post on this awhile ago:
https://aussiechildcarenetwork.com.au/f ... fees-12659

Feel free to ask any questions or for more info you need ;)

alex.i45

Post by alex.i45 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:04 am

I know this is old but I’m working as an assistant educator full time at a centre, i am studying towards my diploma, and according to ACEQCA I have completed all my foundation units to be considered diploma level I think it is? But anyway I’m getting paid at level 1.1 but I feel like this isn’t right since I’ve had experience working in a childcare centre, and my director said I could be paid at a certificate 3 level. She sent in proof of study but the people said I can’t paid be paid that level. Is this right?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:24 pm

alex.i45 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:04 am
I know this is old but I’m working as an assistant educator full time at a centre, i am studying towards my diploma, and according to ACEQCA I have completed all my foundation units to be considered diploma level I think it is? But anyway I’m getting paid at level 1.1 but I feel like this isn’t right since I’ve had experience working in a childcare centre, and my director said I could be paid at a certificate 3 level. She sent in proof of study but the people said I can’t paid be paid that level. Is this right?

Hi!

So, you're currently studying your Diploma qualification? Within the Diploma qualification at the beginning, you will have also have done the Cert 3 units, which qualified you as a Cert 3 Educator. Once you have completed the Cert 3 units, you should be paid at a level 3 - since you are technically a cert 3 qualified educator.

I would suggest you obtain a transcript from your course provider which lists the cert 3 units that you have completed which your Director can send as proof so you can be paid accordingly.

Lorina