Being Bullied At Work - Workers Rights

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
LeeSt86

Being Bullied At Work - Workers Rights

Post by LeeSt86 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:14 pm

Hey everyone. long story short my wife's been in the industry 8yrs, qualified group leader. She I having alot of problems with the director and assistant director, about things. Examples are, she closed on a Friday, Monday morning there was apparently empty boxes and rubbish in the playground. We since found out the 2 directors were there on the weekend with their kids who get into everthing.

She gets chipped for not signing all the checklists, even when she was not rostered on to work those days also. Other people do worse and don't get into trouble. She is the only one in the Centre who also uses gloves changing nappies and handling food.

she has been documenting dates times and what happened the last month, I was wondering is there a good union she can join that will send a rep out if she organizes a meeting about these problems with the area Manger and maybe the directors. She doesn't feel confident by herself and doesn't know who she can trust at work, so a union rep who knows the policy's etc in childcare who can come to a meeting and go through things with her and the manager would be so great.

she is ready to pack it in and run like she did a few years in another job....

Lorina

Re: Being Bullied At Work - Workers Rights

Post by Lorina » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:29 pm

I'm sorry to hear the your wife is getting so unfairly treated! It's good that she has kept records of all these incidences which she can use as evidence. Having a meeting with the area manager is probably the best option as she can discuss what's been happening at the centre with the area manager which is the manger above the director. In regards to the meeting, she could probably do a meeting by herself with the area manager first and then she would probably be asked to have a meeting between the area manager and the director. If your wife doesn't feel confident, she could send an email to the area manager to discuss her concerns and issues so before the meeting takes place the area manager is aware of what is happening...

It sounds though that your wife is being taken for granted and getting blamed for everything. Even if she has a meeting, it could get better for a couple of weeks but it could also get worse... So, if she has really had enough then it's probably best to move on. Before she does, she should still write an email to managers/directors highlighting the unethical behaviour towards her so that they are aware...

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:34 pm

Your wife could also call ACECQA regulatory authority to report the centre of issues that they have not complied with in regards to the NQF, so this would include: not wearing gloves during nappy changes. You can contact them here:

Regulatory Authority

I really hope that she talks to someone about these issues...

Lorina

LeeSt86

Post by LeeSt86 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:55 am

Lorina wrote:Your wife could also call ACECQA regulatory authority to report the centre of issues that they have not complied with in regards to the NQF, so this would include: not wearing gloves during nappy changes. You can contact them here:

Regulatory Authority

I really hope that she talks to someone about these issues...

Lorina
Thanks very much for relying. Unfortunately she was force by removed from her room and told it was because she has not got enough experience, meanwhile they encouraged her to apply for a GL job 20 minutes away knowing full well she doesn't drive.
The area manager called her yesterday, the directed has told her that my wife agreed to leave the room which isn't true. She told my wife she apparently works good one week then slacks off the next. Shr is consistently 30 mins or more early into work to setup, has never had a written warning and is up to date with checklists, and been there 2.5 years. This is the directors first time acting in this position, and I honestly think she had no clue.

All the talking is done by the assistant who complains she is stressed and feeling it really bad because she is pregnant. By the way my wife has been given half this week off sick on stress leave and prescribed Valium!!!! the area manager has been told stories and was taken by surprise with everthing my wife said over the phone to counteract her accusations.

JONDY83

Post by JONDY83 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:03 pm

I am in the similar boat, i work at a centre that has staff that are involved in bullying and although they don't see it as bullying but as a simple joke they don't understand that it has an effect on a person. I am now in a position that i too want to walk from the service i work in as i no longer believe in the services they provide. There is so many childcare services out there that claim they are there for the children and their families but the fact of the matter majority of them are their for the money in their pocket. I have witnessed many tours being taken place in my service where the director blatantly lies to these potential families, makes out that we are one big happy family but a matter of fact is that half of the educators including me feel differently.
I can't speak for anyone else but i know that i am losing my passion to work there.
There are too many chiefs and not enough indians in this place and there seems to be too many rules for certain people and other rules for those people not in the " GROUP'" so to speak. Your dammed if you do and dammed if you dont. This place is being toxicated, that so that most mornings my anxiety plays up. I intend to move forward and leave the service and all the toxic energy and people behind but feel that i need to look into a union of some sort as i feel that the members in the serive can turn nasty.
Any tips on which union is best to join?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:53 am

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time! It's so frustrating for me to read all the bullying that goes on in centres between Educators! It's pathetic, it's sad and it's completely unethical! WTH is going on in centres is beyond me and before we know it, all those passionate and hardworking Educators are going to leave the industry! We are working with children, teaching children about inclusion, about sharing feelings, about not being mean to others yet what's going in between the Educators! Argh!!

Here is an article I wrote on workplace bullying, how you can handle it and what strategies to use:

Dealing With Workplace Bullying In Childcare

Don't let this experience discourage you, there are so many wonderful centres out there, you just have to find one that you click with.

Lorina