Not sure childcare is for me. Help please!

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
ilovechildren
Participator
Participator

Not sure childcare is for me. Help please!

Post by ilovechildren » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:48 pm

Hi everyone so my mind has been going around in circles.
I did my cert 111 years ago and i have been iffy about going
further with all the change that has happened, eg: programming etc etc
But somehow i keep managing to get casual positions, but i dont go for Full time positions because i know i havent done programming etc.
I did apply for some diploma trainee positions but i havent had luck with that. I know they are hard to get.
I just want to know... is this career worth it? Is the Diploma really hard? i dont want to keep wasting time at my age.
Also because of my mental health i find it hard to concentrate and get things done quickly

Also im so over the mean staff and i am nice to everyone so i dont understand it...I suffer from Anxiety and i just wish everyone would get a long but i know thats not how life is in any career... just find you cant really escape the staff when youre working so directly together.
But i keep going back, because i love children.
Any advice will help so much.
Thankyou.

Lorina

Re: Not sure childcare is for me. Help please!

Post by Lorina » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:15 am

First off if you like children and it seems that you do then this is the right industry to get into. None of us does it for the money because you can get paid more doing meaningless jobs. Working with children is like no other, you form bonds, you form relationships, you get to be part of each child's life. You are meaningful to them, they get attached to you. You're there to witness them grow in their learning and development and you get to be apart of that. It's a beautiful thing!

Doing a Diploma Qualification is necessary if you want to be a room leader/director/supervisor etc. If you are happy just assisting than a Cert 3 qualification is sufficient enough. With the Diploma, it's doable. There may be a few tasks that may be difficult but it's not impossible and through the support of your course provider then you will be able to complete it. Also, there is a lot of information on the net so whatever task it may be you can complete it. If you have had experience working in this industry then it's easier to get through the Diploma.

The mean staff... hmmm... yes, working with a woman-dominated industry there will be issues and bitchiness, it's bound to happen. Some centres have Educators that are more tolerable... it depends really... However, you shouldn't take things personally... if they are mean just ignore it, don't let it get to you, if they gossip keep quiet, don't get involved in other's crap.

Dealing with your anxiety, if you feel like you're losing it, give yourself a few mins break (say you have to go to the toilet). Have a song on your phone that you can listen to you to calm you down, have a book of positive quotes that you can read, have some funny memes or images in your phone that you can scroll through, distract your mind for a couple of minutes, take 5 deep breaths and get back into it.

You are there for the children to engage with them, to support them in their development, you're not there to be best friends with all Educators at work. Just keep your head down and do what's necessary, then at the end of the day go home and relax.

I hope this gives you some pointers and let me know if you have any other doubts!

I'm here to help!!

:geek:,
Lorina

ilovechildren
Participator
Participator

Post by ilovechildren » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:50 pm

Thanks very much for your efforts in your reply means a lot Lorina. I think majority of my concerns comes from my anxiety ( I suffer from depression and anxiety) I love children but I get stressed very easily and I do tend to take things to heart. I’m working on it though. I do love children and I find myself always going back to trying to get childcare jobs. I just get anxiety about talking to parents, doubting if I am doing the right thing and I panic when I think a child is going to fall. It all just stems from my mind I think.
I did have one centre I worked for for a while that I was happy at and the other educators appreciated my help but unfortunately they had no positions for me.
I’ve been offered a position now as a support worker in a full time role and considering taking it.
Could I ask what that role means ? Also what the rate of pay is meant to be for a cert 111 support worker. I just want to make sure it’s correct. Thanks so much again :)

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:17 am

Hi ilovechildren,

Anxiety is such a debilitating thing but if you give yourself a break and take baby steps you can do it. Have you ever considered doing family day care? You are your own boss and yes you have to deal with the families yourself but it is only 4 families and in the comfort of your own home. This might be a better fit for you.
All the best
Linsaa fdc :wave:

amandas1

Post by amandas1 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:20 pm

Hi ilovechildren,
You should not stop working with babies only reason is because they are having a pure heart. And Yes i can understand your Anxiety Problem but, working with babies can cure your anxiety.
All The Best.
Amanda Stephanie