Can Children wear Necklaces at your centre? NQS/EYLF sources pls

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
ccSA

Can Children wear Necklaces at your centre? NQS/EYLF sources pls

Post by ccSA » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:46 pm

Hi guys,

So we've recently got a new centre manager. To say the least, her style of directing is starkly different from what me and my co-workers are accustomed to.

So she saw a child in our room wearing a necklace. She came in and asked me where to find the room leader, who was in the next room. She confronted her about the child wearing the necklace, and basically interrogated her on whether she knows the NQS/EYLF regulations and rules about this. The room leader, a very sweet and introverted person, freezes up and can't answer, so another co-worker intervenes and says she doesn't see a problem. The centre turns around, and lifts her finger up to her face and SHUSHES the coworker, stating that she had asked the room leader. sorry this is a bit long-winded, but her rudeness and harshness blew me away.

Anyone have any experience with something like this?
Are children allowed to wear necklaces at your centre? Are there any NQS/EYLF or regulations that you know of about children wearing necklaces

Thanks in advance for your help!! xx

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Re: Can Children wear Necklaces at your centre? NQS/EYLF sources pls

Post by linsaa fdc » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:40 am

Hi ccSA,
That sounds awful. I am not in a centre but FDC but we are all under the same NQS/EYLF, we have strict safety rules about sleeping with necklaces on but not about wearing them. What about when they are playing dress ups, don't they wear them then? The only thing i have a problem with children wearing jewellry from home is that if it is good i don't want to have to be responsible if it gets broken or lost.
Linsaa fdc :wave:

ethelcurtis

Post by ethelcurtis » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:58 pm

linsaa fdc wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:40 am
Hi ccSA,
That sounds awful. I am not in a centre but FDC but we are all under the same NQS/EYLF, we have strict safety rules about sleeping with necklaces on but not about wearing them. What about when they are playing dress ups, don't they wear them then? The only thing i have a problem with children wearing jewellry from home is that if it is good i don't want to have to be responsible if it gets broken or lost.
Linsaa fdc :wave:
nice sharing!!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:23 am

My thoughts are that children can wear necklaces but remove them when sleeping like Linsaa suggested. Some children wear a necklace that may be significant to them (not as in costly - but has meaning) and this helps bring comfort to a child. I wouldn't feel comfortable asking a child to remove it, especially if it cannot be seen however if needed, it can be removed during sleep time, (my daughter put her one under her pillow until she wakes up).

All costly necklaces (gold etc), she not be worn to the centre. A child should remove it for safety reasons and of course to make sure it doesn't get lost.

:geek:,
Lorina