How much do you get paid in Childcare? Open Discussion on Childcare Wages....

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Re: How much do you get paid in Childcare? Open Discussion on Childcare Wages....

Post by catchmeifucan » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:08 am

sunmonika wrote:I am so disappointed with my wages.I just finished Bachelor of Early Childhood Education and have 5 years experience a s a group leader with diploma and all I get is $24 per hour...I really think this is joke:( The only reason why I am still in Childcare is that I love this age group:(Is it going to change one day?I feel a little bit discriminated,if I work at school I would get paid much more!
I am so surprised when I read your post. $24 as an ECT? It's not really worth going to uni and studying if you are only getting a few more $ than a diploma trained. The government is insisting for us to get higher qualifications but what's the point when our wages are like this! :x

sbt

Re: How much do you get paid in Childcare? Open Discussion on Childcare Wages....

Post by sbt » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:13 am

hi all
im doing a traineeship for my cert 3 and was wondering where to find out what the award rate of pay is. ive tried using the fair trade website but its very confusing. can someone please point me in the right direction.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:12 pm

sbt wrote:hi all
im doing a traineeship for my cert 3 and was wondering where to find out what the award rate of pay is. ive tried using the fair trade website but its very confusing. can someone please point me in the right direction.
It is very confusing trying to work out the minimum award because everyone is based on a "level" and there isn't any clear information that states which qualification is based on which level... it's so silly we can't even work out how much our minimum wage is.

Please don't take my word for it because I could be entirely wrong but as a trainee I think you may be classified as a Children's Services Employee Level 3A.1. I think the minimum wage is $538.70 per week for a full time traineeship, depending on when you left school. This is the information I found in the Children's Services Award 2010:

I'm attaching a copy of the Children's Services Award 2010. Check out the section called "Minimum Wages for Full time Traineeship".

[attachment=0]Childcare_wages.doc[/attachment]
It's so confusing isn't it! Like I mentioned I could be completely wrong about this. You also need to consider that your wage also depends on the centre, whether they are offering above award, any other allowances etc.

Sorry I couldn't help you more,

:geek:,
L.A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:19 pm

sbt wrote:hi all

It's Me Again,

Thanks to one of our support team members I was able to find out further information regarding your minimum wage for your traineeship. According to the Children's Services Modern Award the community services traineeship falls under "Wage Level A". So if you're completing a full time traineeship your minimum wage is as follows:

Wage Level A

Subject to clause D.5.3 of this schedule, the minimum wages for a trainee undertaking a full - time AQF Certificate Level I-III traineeship whose training package and AQF certificate levels are allocated to Wage Level A by Appendix D1 are:

Highest year of schooling completed

Year 10:

School Leaver - $272.40 per week
Plus 1 year out of school - $300.10 per week
Plus 2 years out of school- $357.50 per week
Plus 3 years out of school - $416.00 per week
Plus 4 years out of school - $484.10 per week
Plus 5 or more years out of school- $554.30 per week

Year 11:

School Leaver - $300.10 per week
Plus 1 year out of school - $357.50 per week
Plus 2 years out of school- $416.00 per week
Plus 3 years out of school - $484.10 per week
Plus 4 years out of school - $554.30 per week

Year 12:

School Leaver - $357.50 per week
Plus 1 year out of school - $416.00 per week
Plus 2 years out of school- $484.10 per week
Plus 3 years out of school - $554.30 per week

I didn't want you to provide you with the wrong information so I thought I'd add the above, so it can give you a better understanding of what is the required minimum wage for a traineeship.

L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:03 pm

Recently the government announced a $300 million funding package to increase wages of early childhood educators.

Join our discussion by adding your comments to the following forum: Government's $300 million wages funding!

L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:30 am

Hi Everyone,

I've added a new topic which gives an explanation of the level classification in the childcare award wage.

Childcare Award Wages: Classification Levels Explained

For those of you, this should clear up any confusion you may have in which classification you fall under to determine your minimum wage.

L.A

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:03 am

Gosh it really is quite dire isn't it- not much to encourage people to choose our profession.i am also feeling very grateful that my positions have always paid over the minimum wage- those few dollars an hour make a difference! Quick question- do ECT's in the industry get covered under the Teacher's Award? And can someone please link this award here ?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:40 am

Important Information on on Pay, Leave, Hours, Rosters, Breaks etc.

Childcare Award Wages: Info on Pay, Leave, Hours, Rosters, Breaks etc.

L.A

claremarie

Post by claremarie » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:49 am

hello every one
This is my first post.
I am 23 unqualified but studding certificate 3. I work for a centre connected to a private school down in Hobart, Tasmania.
I've been working there for 1 and a half years as a casual relief worker, my pay is $23.69 an hour.
But its been hard to work as I have a 4 year old son.

Misse84
Helper
Helper

Post by Misse84 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:15 pm

I am a certificate 3 with three years experience, and get 21.50 I think. I left my old job due to bad conditions, and my co worker who has ten years experience gets paid the same as me. I think that is unfair, because she is also a nominated supervisor.

At the last centre, the ECT got $35 an hour, that would be my perfect wage when I qualify.

amelia08

Post by amelia08 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:21 pm

Hi everyone! This is an intersting topic. How much a childcare worker received this days? This will be a lot of help for those who would like to venture in this new career.

Cor26

Post by Cor26 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:38 pm

I have worked in child care for 6 years. Second year Diploma qualified and a senior educator, Ed Leader, 2IC and I get paid 23.96 an hour...

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:45 am

Cor26 wrote:I have worked in child care for 6 years. Second year Diploma qualified and a senior educator, Ed Leader, 2IC and I get paid 23.96 an hour...

That seems reasonable. You are probably getting paid at a Level 5.2 rate as you're a 2IC...

L.A

Grandmaforhelp

Post by Grandmaforhelp » Fri May 09, 2014 7:58 am

Hello Everyone, It depends what services are you going to offer and the area where you live. They are different states in USA. You may charge them per hour for your services unless you've agreed to something else.

Elianaa
Participator
Participator

Post by Elianaa » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:09 pm

I do relief work for the council and I get $30 an hour which I'm very happy with as I'm a cert 3 with zero experience.

Laiorwyn
Participator
Participator

Post by Laiorwyn » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:38 pm

23.16 for diploma level. It's up from 22.46 last financial year, but i'm only getting 22.5 hours, so it's still next to nothing.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:56 am

Elianaa wrote:I do relief work for the council and I get $30 an hour which I'm very happy with as I'm a cert 3 with zero experience.
If you are getting $30 as an inexperienced cert 3 qualified educator what are diploma qualified with experience getting? With the rate I would rather do relief than working full time and probably earn more for doing less!! Seems like a council centre always pays above above award wage. Why is it hard for others centres to follow as well...Obviously it can be done!

L.A

Elianaa
Participator
Participator

Post by Elianaa » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:34 pm

I had a look, and diploma relief workers get $37 an hour with my council :)
I don't think I could go back to working for $20 an hour now! I've been spoiled haha

wimble
Participator
Participator

Post by wimble » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:15 pm

Lorina wrote:
Elianaa wrote:I do relief work for the council and I get $30 an hour which I'm very happy with as I'm a cert 3 with zero experience.
If you are getting $30 as an inexperienced cert 3 qualified educator what are diploma qualified with experience getting? With the rate I would rather do relief than working full time and probably earn more for doing less!! Seems like a council centre always pays above above award wage. Why is it hard for others centres to follow as well...Obviously it can be done!

L.A

That is a casual rate, so no sick pay, no annual leave and most importantly no guarantee of work from week to week. So it is about balancing your needs. If you can find blocks of full-time casual work, for example maternity leave, you can really earn a lot. I did casual for a few months last year after travelling, as a qualified ECT I was on $38/hr. However some weeks I would get a full weeks work and others only 2 shifts.

Oh and there are many private LDC centres out there paying above award. In big cities like Sydney and Melbourne you can find many as there is so much demand for qualified staff. When I moved to Sydney I had 3 interviews and received offers from them all (all offering above award pay).

Samue89

Post by Samue89 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:23 pm

Thanks for information..