Casual Payrate

Questions on working as a casual. Such as job responsibilities, what to do, finding casual work etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Miss_Blue

Casual Payrate

Post by Miss_Blue » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:07 pm

Hi,

Next year I will be starting casual work after being in a permanent job for a long time so it’s a bit of a change for me.

I have looked at the ‘childcare wages in Australia’ page but just want to make sure I have read it right.

I have had my diploma for 11 years and my payslip from previous job states I am level 4.3 which I think means as a casual I would get paid $32.30 an hour?

My other question is how can I make sure I am paid at the right level. I ask because years ago when I did casual work I noticed that I was getting paid slightly different at different centers (and I’m pretty sure it’s because one was paying me at the wrong level). I’m nervous this will happen again and I’m not sure how to resolve it if it does, without sounding like all I care about is money.

Lorina

Re: Casual Payrate

Post by Lorina » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:56 am

Hi!

Yes, you will be on Level 4.3 and your casual rate will be $32.30 per hour.

When working as a casual it depends on your role which determines your pay rate. If you are working as an assistant in the room, you will not be on Level 4.3 since this is the room leader. You will be on Level 3.4 which is $29.96 per hour (casual). However, if you are working as the room leader in the room then you will be Level 4.3. I think that's why you may have noticed a difference in pay at some centres.

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

Miss_Blue

Re: Casual Payrate

Post by Miss_Blue » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:44 am

Oh ok...maybe that was why.

The only thing with that was, I was never a room leader at my last centre it was just based on how long you had your diploma/how much experience you had. So I wasn't aware of this.

As in-my pay (and level) went up based on my experience as a diploma trained person until I reached level 4.3.

And at my last centre the casuals were paid in the same way depending on how long they had had their qualifications. So diplomas who had their qualifications a long time were paid at level 4.3 no matter what position they were covering.

I honestly always thought the levels were just based on your experience/qualifications regardless of what position you were in.