Award Rates/Position description

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
JenniM

Award Rates/Position description

Post by JenniM » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:27 pm

Does any one know the rate of pay/award for a diploma qualified Supervisor/Educator with several years experience, who now works in the office most of the time, but fills shifts when required? Is this just an administration position or is there something in children's services that describes the position and hourly rate?

Lorina

Re: Award Rates/Position description

Post by Lorina » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:09 pm

How long have you had your Diploma qualification for? When you fill in for staff it sounds like you should be paid a casual rate... Are you being paid as a casual? Do you fill in for room leaders or assistant or both?

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:12 pm

Sorry for the questions...

Lorina

JenniM

Post by JenniM » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:35 pm

Lorina wrote:How long have you had your Diploma qualification for? When you fill in for staff it sounds like you should be paid a casual rate... Are you being paid as a casual? Do you fill in for room leaders or assistant or both?

Lorina
Thd staff member has had her diploma since 2010/11. The fill in shifts are either supervising or assisting but not both. I forgot to mention this is in OSHC. The office work is at head office 4 days per week umless she is filling a shift in one of the services.
Thanks.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:44 pm

I think for this scenario since she works in the office for 4 days a week that she should be paid as an administrative position. However the days she fills in shifts at a service she can probably be paid as a casual since this is not within her normal duties and she is filling in for educators away. So, technically she should be considered as a casual when not doing her normal duties and responsibilities...

I would just advise that you contact Fair Work Australia to confirm...

Lorina

Jensheehan3

Post by Jensheehan3 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:44 pm

Hi I would like to know what the after tax pay is for a 1st yr diploma qualified educator is? Non room leader. If possible in pic?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:45 pm

You are on Level 3.4 and your hourly wage is $23.97/per hour as a full-time Educator.

As for your taxable income, you will need to check out ATO.

Lorina

Janefd

Post by Janefd » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:47 pm

Im a permanent part time and i’m only getting $20.08 an hr at before and after school care and i reckon for what i am getting a week is ridiculous

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:19 pm

What is your qualification?

Lorina

Diana R

Post by Diana R » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:06 pm

Hi Lorina,
I have a question relating the Award Rates... i have been working on my current centre for 1 and a half years . When I first started working I was starting my Cert 3 course but then I changed my enrrolment to a Diploma wich is my current course A friend told me that when I finish my Cert 3 Subjects I could ask for a pay rise.. But when I did it, the director told me I can’t because I need even to provide A cert 3 certification wich I can’t because im doing a Diploma , Or finish my Diploma and get the qualification in order to get the psy rise... on the another hand Im being paid as a level 2.1 - $19.42. But on my understanding I am level 3.1 ( studying towards a Diploma) wich means my rate should be $21.29 is this correct.

Thanks for your help. Diana

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:57 pm

Hi Diana,

Are you an assistant within your room? Is that your position?

Your friend is right - once you have completed your approved cert 3 units, you are considered a cert 3 qualified educator. You can get a transcript/certificate of attainment (i think it's called from the top of my head) - from your course provider that will list the cert 3 units you have completed. This is sufficient evidence proving to your employer that you're have completed your cert 3.

When did you finish your cert 3 units?

Lorina

Diana R

Post by Diana R » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:53 am

Hi Lorina,
Thank you very much for your help, yes I’m an assistant at the Nursery room and I have been in charge of the room when Group Leader has been on holidays. I finished My Cert III Subjects like a month ago. And I have told my boss and provide screenshots of my progress but She has told me that, I need to provided a Cert 3 certificated. What she knows I cant provided because Im studing a Diploma not a Cert III. Also I told her I could ask for a letter from the school with results and progress but She said That wasn’t enough. And also as I mentioned on my last message I believe that I haven’t been paid what I should since the beginning. Im being paid as a level 2.1 - $19.42. But on my understanding I am level 3.1 ( studying towards a Diploma) wich means my rate should be $21.29 is this correct.
Thanks Diana

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:04 pm

I don't understand why she is keen on getting your cert 3 certificate when you are completing the Diploma qualification.

From ACECQA, if you have completed the following units, you are cert 3 qualified:

CHCLEG001 Work legally and ethically
CHCECE002 Ensure the health and safety of children
CHCECE003 Provide care for children
CHCPRT001 Identify and respond to children and young people at risk
CHCECE004 Promote and provide healthy food and drinks
CHCECE007 Develop positive and respectful relationships with children
HLTAID004 Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting
CHCECE001 Develop cultural competence
CHCECE005 Provide care for babies and toddlers
CHCECE009 Use an approved learning framework to guide practice
CHCDIV002 Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety

For your position as an assistant educator, if she is accepting your Cert 3 qualification - yes you will be on Level 3.1 - $21.29 per hour.

However, if she is not accepting your cert 3 qualification, you should be on Level 3A.1, which is $20.96 per hour.

Reference:Childcare Wages

A Level 2 is:

This is an employee who has completed 12 months in Level 1, or a relevant AQF Certificate II, or in the opinion of the employer has sufficient knowledge and experience to perform the work within the scope of this level. An employee at this level has limited knowledge and experience in children's services and is expected to take limited responsibility for their own work.

Reference:

Levels For Wages

Can you talk to the owner? Someone higher than your director?

Lorina

Diana R

Post by Diana R » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:56 am

Hi Lorina,
I’ll try to get a letter from school with these units grades and talk to her again...
So just confirming That I understood well.. it means that:
Level 2.1 is studing towards - Cert III . And ..
Level 3A1 is studing towards - Diploma ?
Or it refers to the position in my case I started as a Float Educator and have been promoted to Assistant Edu since January.

Thanks Diana

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:54 am

A Level 2 is only a Cert 2 qualified educator. As a unqualified assistant educator you should be on Level 3A since your job position is an assistant educator.

You shouldn’t be paid less than a Level 3A if your Director doesn’t accept your Cert 3 qualification.

If your Director does accept your Cert 3 qualification then you should be paid as a Level 3.1 as a assistant educator.

You should not be paid less than a Level 3A.
Try and aim for that when talking to your Director. Let them know, that you’ve check the Children’s Services Award 2010 and that you’ve worked out your Level as a 3A or 3 - depending on what she accepts.

Hope this helps!

Lorina

pfoley

Post by pfoley » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:29 pm

Hello,
Could someone please advise me on my correct CASUAL rate.

I'm currently studying my ECT. I began in October, 2017.
I hold my Diploma since June 2015.
I have worked in the industry since April 2013.

Currently I'm being paid $29.96p/h, I just want to be sure it is correct.

Thank you,
Tricia

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue May 01, 2018 2:53 pm

pfoley wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:29 pm
Hello,
Could someone please advise me on my correct CASUAL rate.

I'm currently studying my ECT. I began in October, 2017.
I hold my Diploma since June 2015.
I have worked in the industry since April 2013.

Currently I'm being paid $29.96p/h, I just want to be sure it is correct.

Thank you,
Tricia

I've added my response here:

Pay Rates

Lorina

Diana R

Post by Diana R » Tue May 01, 2018 8:42 pm

Thank you for all the info... it’s been very useful. :)

Diana

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed May 02, 2018 8:13 pm

You’re welcome Diana!

Lorina