Cert 3 or Diploma in Early Childcare

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please refer to Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
BigKid

Cert 3 or Diploma in Early Childcare

Post by BigKid » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:28 pm

Hello!

I'm not only new to this forum, but Early Childhood as new career, and I'd love some advice!

I've made the decision to move into the Early Childhood industry and am looking to get qualified (I guess raising a son doesn't mean I'm qualified does it??). I'm speaking to a few different training facilities, but think that Victoria University Poly / TAFE is who I will be going with. I just cant decide if I should start with Cert 3 or just go straight into the Diploma??

6 months for the Cert 3 vs 18 months for the Diploma, an extra year of study is a big commitment. If I go for the Cert 3 and get myself employed in a facility, how then does it work in continuing on to get my Diploma, or even onto finish my Batchelor?

I think the part that makes me reluctant to commit to the Diploma straight away is the thought of going 18 months without an income, or is that not the case??

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks a million

Ryan John

Re: Cert 3 or Diploma in Early Childcare

Post by Ryan John » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:42 pm

hello. The current Aus requires you to have a Cert 3 or studying towards a Cert 3, but you can do trial periods of 1 month I would recommend doing this so you can see if the job is right for you.

I completed my Cert 3 about 6 months ago and I am in my diploma. for me doing them separately gave me more of a chance to learn the basics.

I personly don't do well in a tafe and setting. I prefer online I am currently going through "recognition first" and they are awesome and very supportive and because I am signed up as a trainee the gov pays for 2 hours a week to go off the floor at work to study and the course costs me around $400.

also in Canberra, we have a company (Randstad and expect-a-staff) who sends people to centers who need extra staff temporally and i found this a great opportunity to see different centers and different settings.

i hope this helps