CHCCS400C - Scenario: Molly and Sandra

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
kimzz

CHCCS400C - Scenario: Molly and Sandra

Post by kimzz » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:50 am

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCCS400C
Your Assignment Type: Case Scenario
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
Scenario 2

You work at a childcare service and one busy morning when you answer the phone you find Molly’s mother, Sandra, upset and angry on the line. You, who have a Diploma in Children’s Services and a co-educator, Robyn, who has a Certificate III in Children’s Services, share responsibility for the 26 children aged 3-5 years who attend your service. Molly is 2.11 years old and has been attending the service since she was 18 Months old. She is currently transitioning from the Toddler group (18 months – 3 years) where there are 16 children with 4 educators, one with a diploma, two with Cert III and one educator who is studying children’s services. During the 18 months Molly has been attending your service her attendance has been erratic. Sandra has confided in you and other educators at times about her abusive relationship and has on occasions moved away with Molly to stay with family. She usually returns after a week or two. Sandra often appears stressed. She occasionally shows signs of impatience with Molly. She often calls your service with complaints or concerns, especially if Molly is unsettled on arrival, which is often the case. The pattern of her complaint calls usually has been more frequent the week leading up to an absence and the calls of concern the week of returning to care. You find her calls tedious and frustrating hence, difficult to communicate with. Yesterday, the sandpit was being emptied and refilled with new sand. Approximately a third of the yard was out of bounds as the fence had to be removed to allow the tip truck and bobcats in. As a result the toddlers spent more time indoors than usual that day. Sandra says “I’m very upset.Molly was very clingy and irritable when she came home last night and this morning I discovered a hand-shaped bruise on her back while I was giving her a bath. When I asked Molly how she got it, she said someone at your service had hit her but she didn’t say who it was. I asked her if it was child or a grown up and she didn’t answer. I wasn’t told of any incident when I picked Molly up last night. I also noticed in the day book that the children didn’t go outside at all yesterday. I want to make a formal complaint about this and I want information about educator/child ratios and educator qualifications. I also want to know who was in charge that day. I am concerned that Molly isn’t getting sufficient supervision and I want this incident investigated”.

Discuss the following elements:

1. What client rights are in issue?

2. Is any conduct unethical or illegal? If so, what should you do about it?

3. Discuss duty of care and negligence in relation to the scenario.

4. How would you handle this/these complaint(s) and what information will you need to provide? What service specific policies and procedures (not legislation) are/could/should be in place in the organisation to provide you with these guidelines?

5. What referrals would you make, if any, and how would you go about it?

6. Explore your own values and attitudes and how they affect your work. How would you ensure your conduct is non-judgmental?

7. What legislated regulations and guidelines would you refer to guide you with this scenario?

*Question 7 – Children’s Services students ONLY to identify the following: Educator ratios for all age groups, minimum number of EC educators for numbers of children, minimum staff numbers for all age groups, specific educator qualifications.

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
this is all i have got so far
What are the client’s rights?
The clients right that are in issue are the parents rights for confidential also the right for the answers that Sandra has asked for and the respect that she deserves.

Is any conduct unethical or illegal if so what should you do about it?
Within in the scenario there isn’t anything unethical or illegal there was information that the sand pit was getting empty and that the fence would be down for that day the educator also wrote this in the day book.

Discuss the duty of care and negligence in relation to this scenario
The duty of care is to all the children but you cannot watch every child like a hawk there is no possible way to know how molly got the bruise as she is not saying who had did this there is really no negligence within in this.

What service specific policies and procedures (not legislation) are/could/should be in place in the organisation to provide you with these guidelines?

there would have to be a formal complaint made (written)

Description and Message:
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: need help

Post by Lorina » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:22 pm

Here are some points to consider regarding the scenario:

1) If the client has reasons to be concerned or has any issues, it is their right that these should be addressed and resolved.

2) Ratio - 1:10 (check for vic) In the room there are 2 staff for 26 children.

3) check ratio for 18 months - 3 years.

4) Address parental concerns. Write in detail the issues and concerns from the parent. Discuss with toddler room staff what happened during the day and if they had witnessed this child being hit. Find out if an incident form was written regarding this incident and whether a staff member forgot to tell the parent about it.

Polices and Procedures include:

- Supervision Policy
- Environment Policy
- Complaint Handling Policy
- Confidentiality Policy
- Safety Policy
- Incident Procedure

5) Refer this matter to the director if necessary.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

kimzz

Re: CHCCS400C - Scenario: Molly and Sandra

Post by kimzz » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:10 pm

thank you so much this has helped me a lot :)