Aussie Childcare Network Forum • Need help understanding observation methods for an assignment
Page 1 of 1

Need help understanding observation methods for an assignment

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2025 2:06 pm
by lyly19
Hi everyone,

I am currently studying for my Certificate III in Children's Services, and I’m having trouble with one of my assignments. The task requires me to explain the different types of observation methods (such as anecdotal records, running records, learning stories, etc.Take Care Of Shadow Milk ) and describe when each method would be most appropriate to use in a childcare setting.

I’ve reviewed the course material, but I’m still uncertain about how to explain the differences clearly and provide real-life examples. Could anyone share some tips or examples that helped you when you were studying this topic?

Thanks so much!

Re: Need help understanding observation methods for an assignment

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2026 5:35 pm
by Lorina
Great question! Observation is at the heart of understanding children’s learning. Each method has its own strengths:

Anecdotal records capture quick snapshots of milestones.

Running records give detailed play‑by‑play insights.

Learning stories celebrate progress in a narrative style families love.

Checklists and time samples help track skills and routines.

For a clear breakdown with examples, check out this article: Types Of Observations

:geek:,
Lorina