Looking For Placement

Forum for all questions, issues and concerns when completing work placement within an early childhood setting.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
triffina89

Looking For Placement

Post by triffina89 » Sat May 25, 2013 12:02 pm

I currently study online because I have a job ( though the hours are flexible and I can pick and choose when and if I wish to work ) anyway, my tafe informed me I should start looking for placement. I've never had to do this before and they didn't really tell me how to go about it, should I just call around to my local child care centers? Any help would be appreciated .also how many hours a week is required, are you able to pick and choose or do they.

lumamelzemm
Participator
Participator

Re: Placement

Post by lumamelzemm » Sun May 26, 2013 9:35 pm

I believe yes you have to pick up the phone and call all the local centers in your area ,the minimum hours you need to do is 120

triffina89

Post by triffina89 » Sun May 26, 2013 9:44 pm

That's what I thought, I'll be doing that first thing in the morning :D

rosie.
Participator
Participator

Post by rosie. » Tue May 28, 2013 8:55 am

Just a thought, if you are able, do some research/get the gossip on your local centres before you contact any. I was lucky to be able to do my placement in a great quality centre (exceeding national expectations) so was able to see how a centre actually should be run. There are some not so good centres in my town which did not do well in accreditation and therefore are not the best places to learn in my opinion.

Rosie

triffina89

Post by triffina89 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:47 am

I have to wait to get my blue card anyway I think so I might look at some reviews etc online

Kaz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kaz » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:08 am

You will get a good feel form looking at reviews online, mostly mothering sites. Also if you have any friends with children or family members ask them or ask them to ask their friends. Best thing is word of mouth, I worked in one centre that I'd heard good things about yet I didn't find it that good. I have also been n centres where you get next to no time with the children and that isn't doing you any good sadly

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:30 pm

It is worth doing your placement somewhere good if you can as a lot of places will try and snap you up if you are good. Plus as mentioned you will get better experience if you get experience somewhere decent.