Multicultural Displays

Childcare room set-up ideas, strategies for teaching children, group times, Montessori teaching and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
LaurenB

Multicultural Displays

Post by LaurenB » Wed May 01, 2013 10:57 am

hi all.
im wanting some ideas about individual families cultural displays.
i wanted to point out where each family comes from and maybe work some aspects of their culture into our curriculum but im not sure how to start. i was thinking of a map of the world and photos and string...? any ideas people??
LaurenB
Last edited by Lorina on Fri May 03, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic has been moved from Experiences In Childcare Forum

Lorina

Re: Multicultural displays

Post by Lorina » Fri May 03, 2013 6:19 pm

Yeah, that's a good idea...

You could also ask families to bring in a photo of the family, add it to a frame and underneath write a brief description about them. For e.g.

my family is from....
at home we speak....
our favorite foods are...
we celebrate....

Ask families to bring in a favorite recipe that can be incorporated into the menu/or as a cooking experience, share stories and songs from other cultures during group time, add posters of different families/cultures around the centre for children to observe, take a photo of a family and add it to the monthly newsletter with details about the families culture etc, encourage families to bring in photos of their holidays... All these can displayed on a "cultural wall"...

Hope this gives you some ideas,

:geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Multicultural Displays

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:28 pm

I also had cooking experiences/ dressing up experiences from different parts of the world which was good

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:11 am

Here's an idea:

Choose an area with a table or shelf or you can use a wall and each week "visit a country". Display items from the country (if possible ask parents to bring in), photos of famous buildings or famous people from the specific country, display words in the language such as hello/goodbye etc, find recipes and display them, photocopy these recipes and make them available for families to take home, play music from the country, add books about the country etc. Integrate this into the curriculum with teaching games, simple songs, teaching simple phrases, counting, cooking a particular dish etc.

Make pretend passports for the children and each week when they "visit a country", you could stamp it. Take photos of the display you set up as well as document the experience through learning stories, reflections etc over the week and display these for parents/families to see. Maybe you can entitle it "I've been everywhere, Man" and add the documentation to it. :lol:

:geek:,
L.A

Smiley

Post by Smiley » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:18 am

I used photo frames. Add stuff from the country in a frame (money, fabric, recipe etc) & photo of family from the country. Fills a whole wall. Looks good.

:D