What is the likely impact of serious psychological harm to a child?

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
MissOlivia2302

What is the likely impact of serious psychological harm to a child?

Post by MissOlivia2302 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:12 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCCHILD401A Assessment Task Two SS166 Sexual Abuse
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? Yes
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge

Your Question?
Hey.

I am almost finished my cert 3 in childrens services and I am stuck on this question. I sort of have an idea. If you could read it and tell me if im right or wrong and if someone could help it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
Psychological harm can result in poor self-esteem and serious emotional damage. ( not sure if this is correct or not)

Description and Message:

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Re: What is the likely impact of serious psychological harm to a child?

Post by LindyT » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:00 pm

Hi Olivia

Effects of harm
Harm experienced in childhood can have significant and lasting effects for children and young people, and no two children or young people react in the same way.

Some children and young people show no observable effects of harm they may have experienced, while others show a wide range of effects.

There may be long-term effects even when short-term effects are not apparent.

Children and young people may experience a range of emotional, psychological and physical problems as a result of being harmed, including:

low self esteem
increased fear, guilt and self blame
distrust of adults
depression
suicidal thoughts and self harming
anxiety disorders
attachment disorders
post traumatic stress disorder
learning disorders, including poor language and cognitive development
aggressive behaviour and other behavioural problems
developmental delay, eating disorders and physical ailments
delinquency and criminal behaviour including violent or aggressive behaviour
drug and alcohol abuse and high-risk sexual behaviour
permanent physical injuries or death
difficulty forming relationships with other adults
symptoms and behaviour that lead to them being singled out and victimised.
The most serious effects are likely to occur when no one takes action to stop the harm and protect the child or young person.

With early identification and an appropriate response and support, children and young people can recover from being harmed.

A child or young person's support network and bonds with those who believe in them and protect them will help them to cope.

Without effective support, harm experienced in childhood can have long-term effects on individuals and communities.
The information above is directly cut and pasted from when I googled your question and this was the 2nd link I found. I think you will find it useful. http://www.communities.qld.gov.au/child ... ts-of-harm

MissOlivia2302

Post by MissOlivia2302 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:32 pm

Thanks Lindy T...your information really helped me to understand the question.

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:21 am

No problems glad to help