Certificate III or Diploma? HELP!!!!

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
cdquizon07

Certificate III or Diploma? HELP!!!!

Post by cdquizon07 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:50 pm

My permanent residency visa just got approved last month, and I would very much like to study again. I took BS Psychology in the Philippines and I finished up to second year. However, my family and I had to move to Australia because of our visa. That was two years ago, and well, I have been working ever since.

I am very passionate with kids as I have a niece of my own and I love her very much. She pretty much opened my eyes to the possibility of working with kids, and my mom and I are planning to start a family day care business when I have more qualifications.

My mom has a friend who enrolled in Selmar Institute in St. Kilda, and we went there a few weeks ago to inquire about their course. The tour went well and I am impressed. They offered me $750 (government funded) for the Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care.

I reserved a spot but I still looked for other schools. I tried inquiring in Victoria University Nicholson Campus, and I have been told that they will decrease the tuition fee in 2018 for the Diploma in Early Childhood Education and Care. For 2017, the tuition fee is up to $10,000 (government funded). I have also been informed that I no longer need to take a Certificate III course and I can pretty much jump into taking the Diploma course instead.

I am working as a service assistant in a fast food restaurant for almost two years now. But I really want to step up and have a new career. I am planning to take short courses at the moment but would soon get a bachelor’s degree. I really want to resign from my job but it’s the only thing that I can earn money from so I can save up for my education.

At first, I was planning to take a Certificate III and would hopefully get a job in a child care centre. The course is 6 months. If by then, I can get a job, I’ll save money while working and then I can take a diploma. But if I wait till February 2018 to start studying for a Diploma, it would take me 1 and a half year before I can get my diploma and get a better job. I know that having a diploma makes you more qualified than having just a certificate but money-wise, time-wise, education-wise and career-wise, which would be a better option for me?

Also, would it be better to study in a private education provider because it’s more affordable or in a credible and renowned university all over Australia? Would it give me a higher chance of landing a job if I study in a university?

Also, can anyone suggest a good institute/university/school that has a reputation of providing quality Certificate III and/or Diploma course here in Melbourne?

I apologize for the long post. But I appreciate anyone who can help me out. Thank you! ♥️

Lorina

Re: Certificate III or Diploma? HELP!!!!

Post by Lorina » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:15 am

Welcome to the industry! :wave:

In regards to the Cert 3 and Diploma Qualification, yes the Cert 3 is now embedded into the Diploma so it's not a separate qualification. Once you complete the Cert 3 portions of the Diploma qualification, you will be considered as a cert 3 qualified educator even though you haven't completed the course entirely this is because you have completed the Cert 3 portion.

Also, ACECQA (Regulatory Authority for Early Childhood) has a working towards condition for educators studying:

Certificate III and Diploma

You are considered actively working towards an approved certificate III level qualification if you can provide documentary evidence from the course provider to your approved provider that you are:

enrolled in the course and have started study
making satisfactory progress towards completing the course
meeting the requirements to maintain enrolment.

You are considered actively working towards an approved diploma level qualification if you can satisfy all of the above and one of the following:

hold an approved certificate III level qualification OR
have completed the approved certificate III units OR
have completed 30% of the units in an approved ECT qualification.

‘Actively working towards’ provisions may not apply where a state or territory specific regulation is in place, including for services educating and caring for school age children. If you have any questions about this, contact your regulatory authority.

Ref: Actively Working Towards An Approved Qualification

So, you are still able to work in an early childhood service even though you haven't completed your qualification.

Another option is to become a trainee this means your employer will pay for your qualification while you work with them. You still have to pay the registration/enrolment fee and you will be on a contract that you have to stay with your employer until you finish your course. One of the good things about being a trainee is that you study and get hands on learning at the same time.

This may give you some more information:

Starting A Traineeship In Childcare

So, you do have a few options to think about...

Let me know if you have any further questions!

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:17 am

You mentioned about doing family day care... is this something you would like to pursue or would you prefer to working in a childcare?

To establish a family day care you don't have to have completed your qualification, you can be "working towards"...

Lorina

cdquizon07

Post by cdquizon07 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:36 am

Thank you so much for the quick reply, Lorina! I really appreciate it! :party: So based on your reply, if I take a diploma course and have finished the units in Certificate III, I can still get a job because I have finished those units already?

Is it better to study in Victoria University though it would be $7,000 to $9,000 for the whole course or should I just study in Selmar Institute because it’s a lot cheaper? I don’t know if it would affect my chances of landing a job if I study in a private education provider instead of a university.

And if you know any good schools where I can take a child care course, please tell meeee.

Thank you so so so much again, Lorina!

cdquizon07

Post by cdquizon07 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:48 am

Hi again, Lorina!

I am planning to obtain a Certificate III and Diploma course at the moment, and I hope I can save up enough money to start a family day care at home, and hopefully level up to have a different location just for the business itself. It would be a few years before that happens, of course. Hihi.

You mentioned something about “working towards” having my own family day care. Please tell me mooore! Thank you again! ♥️

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:36 pm

cdquizon07 wrote:QR_BBPOST if I take a diploma course and have finished the units in Certificate III, I can still get a job because I have finished those units already?

Yes, that correct! You can be employed as a Cert 3 Educator which is an assistant/floater position within a room.

cdquizon07 wrote:QR_BBPOST s it better to study in Victoria University though it would be $7,000 to $9,000 for the whole course or should I just study in Selmar Institute because it’s a lot cheaper?

Sometimes the cheaper course providers aren't always the best and have known to cut corners in regards to their courses. I have no idea about Selmar and their reputation. However, if you have had a tour with them and they seem to suit your needs then it should be fine. Just make sure they are a registered training organisation.

cdquizon07 wrote:QR_BBPOST And if you know any good schools where I can take a child care course, please tell meeee.

Is this for your qualification? Or Short courses? You could try TAFE for your qualification before you commit to Slemar. TAFE is very reliable and is recognised throughout Australia.

cdquizon07 wrote:QR_BBPOST You mentioned something about “working towards” having my own family day care. Please tell me mooore!

Ok, so this means that you can practically start your family day care while you're studying your qualification... You don't necessarily have to finish your qualification. However, I will suggest that it's a good idea to get some industry knowledge and experience so you know more about the regulations, requirements etc. So, it's good that you start off working in a centre before running your own FDC.

Hope this helps!

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:41 pm

Just had a check on Selmar... they seem to be popular and are a registered training organisation and have a lot of positive reviews...So, if they suit your needs you can start with them...

Lorina

cdquizon07

Post by cdquizon07 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:19 pm

Hi, Lorina! So sorry for the late reply but I want to thank you again for taking the time to reply to me.

I’ve decided to take a Diploma course in Victoria Polytechnic in February! You’ve been a great help!

Have a good day! ♥️

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:08 pm

Congratulations!

Enjoy your studies!!

Lorina

keryen28

Post by keryen28 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:17 pm

Hello, I'm am doing my diploma and I am stuck on my last question. Can someone help me with them?

Research Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander culture and history, the impact of European settlement, loss of land and culture and importance of law and kinship and write a report on your findings

Thank you

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:27 pm

keryen28 wrote:Hello, I'm am doing my diploma and I am stuck on my last question. Can someone help me with them?

Research Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander culture and history, the impact of European settlement, loss of land and culture and importance of law and kinship and write a report on your findings

Thank you

Please start a new topic...

Lorina