HLTWHS001 - Scenario: OH&S - Nappy Change Area In FDC

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Jesspryor
Participator
Participator

HLTWHS001 - Scenario: OH&S - Nappy Change Area In FDC

Post by Jesspryor » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:48 am

The setting is a family day care service in Brisbane, Queensland. The nappy change table at the care service is located at one end of the living room. After changing the babies’ nappies, Zara, the educator, needs to open the gate and clean her hands in the sink located in the bathroom off the hallway.

Hazard/s:

Possible outcome/s:

Relevant WHS legislation:

Relevant WHS authority :

Designated WHS personnel you should report to:

Up to three ways to minimise risk:
1. Move the change table closer to a wash basin.

I'm not really sure what to put as I'm not really sure what the hazards are or who the relevant WHS is? I'm in NSW if that helps? can someone point me in the right direction, thanks.

Lorina

Re: HLTWHS001 - Scenario: OH&S - Nappy Change Area In FDC

Post by Lorina » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:30 pm

WHS is the same as OHS (Occupational Health and Safety) in NSW.

If the wash basin is down the hallway in a bathroom, each time the educator is changing a nappy she has to open the gate (causing germs to spread when opening gate) and supervision will also be limited with the children since she has to go to the bathroom away from where the children are located....

:geek:,
Lorina

Jesspryor
Participator
Participator

Post by Jesspryor » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:21 pm

So what would that make the relavant Legislation and authority for this matter? It says in Queensland in the scenario

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:11 am

I'd say Workplace Health and Saftey Act 2011 and Workplace Health and Safety Electrical Safety Office Workers' Compensation Regulator.

I'm not too sure if the second one is right though...

:geek:,
Lorina