Notice To leave Due To Medical Condition

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
gurman
Participator
Participator

Notice To leave Due To Medical Condition

Post by gurman » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:30 pm

Hi louran
I am facing one Issue in my service. I have no idea how I can deal with this situation.
Before Christmas I was working as casual with one service and after Christmas from 3rd of jan they gave me a 6 months fixed term contract until 23 May and they promised me to give me casual or permanent position after contract.In between contract I had some medical problems. I had lumber puncher. My g.p wrote she can not pick up things up to 5 kg and she can not set up the activities at outside for 3 months. Now, the service give me a notice to live the service and they said because of your medical condition we are not able to extend your contract and you are not able to work as a casual and as a permanent.
My question is
Is this fair?
What I have to do?
Who will help me?
Is this discriminate?

Lorina

Re: Notice To leave Due To Medical Condition

Post by Lorina » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:05 pm

First off I apologise for my delayed reply. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I haven't been able to get on the forum... Now I'm back...

Ok, so from what you have written, you have had a lumbar puncture and you are restricted in your movements. When working in childcare as you know, it is a very physically demanding job, with picking up children, setting up activities, cleaning duties and so on, etc. For the next 3 months if you're unable to do this it will be hard for a centre to employ you because physically you are needed to do all the tasks. However, if your centre is willing they may be able to work around your condition for the next 3 months. So, instead of lifting children to change nappies, you use a step ladder, for cleaning duties you use brooms and mops with tall handles so you don't have to bend down as much etc. There are ways to work around this so you can still be employed... Have you asked your centre if you can work around your condition so you can still be employed? Have they given you another option?

:geek:,
Lorina