Overtime in Family Day Care

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Abeona

Overtime in Family Day Care

Post by Abeona » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:22 pm

Hi there.

I have a little bit of a problem, with parents changing pick up times and I dont know how I should handle it.

First, some general information: my core hours are Monday – Friday, 6.30am – 4.30pm, for which I charge on a daily rate. Before and after these times I charge on an hourly (slightly higher) rate. I don’t have a ‘late pick up’ fee.

Lately I have problems with two of my families:

Family A: one child enrolled 7.30am – 4.30pm, two days a week. Now mum found a job, casual on a ‘on call’ basis, which means: if mum gets a call, she will let me know at drop off who is picking up the child in the afternoon. Problem is: if dad is picking up the child, he will not be here before 6pm. It can happen once a fortnight, but every day as well.
Question: As the time sheets are already filled in and booked – do I charge these hours ‘cash in hand’?
(my scheme suggested, that I change booked times, which I am not comfortable either as I never know if and how often it will happen)

Family B: two children enrolled 6.30am – 3.30pm, five days a week. Lately mum comes not before 4.30pm.
Question: should I say something or just change the booked hours as my core rate is meant for a 10-hour day anyway?

Thanks and kind regards,
Abeona

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Re: Overtime in Family Day Care

Post by linsaa fdc » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:26 pm

Hi,
Any hours outside of the families booked hours should be charged as unbooked hours on your timesheets NEVER cash in hand.
So if you have 6:30-3:30 and they arrive at 4:30 then you charge from 3:30-4:30 unbooked hours rate on the timesheet. What timesheet system are you using?
Timesheets shouldn't be done till towards the end of your pay week/ fortnight to allow for these extra hours. If it is the last day of the pay week/fortnight they can wait a bit till you fix it up once they arrive or get them to text you when they are leaving work so you know what time and can fix it before they arrive or if your scheme doesn't mind it being submitted unsigned you can do it and get them to sign it the following week.
Don't short change yourself, we are paid little enough as it is in childcare to be doing extra time without pay, and a lot of the time it is only one child you have at that time of day so you are really working for nothing much.
What your scheme said is true, you should change their booked hours if it is happening on a regular basis, it doesn't matter if sometimes they don't use it it just saves you all this mucking around and they know what they are up for each week without it changing from week to week.

Linsaa fdc :wave:
I also don't have a late penalty fee but I do let my families know if they start to get slack that I can implement one if they take advantage.

Abeona

Post by Abeona » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:12 pm

Thanks Linsaa.
We have one colum with booked hours and one colum for actual hours.
Problem is: doesn't matter what the actual hours are, the scheme puts just booked hours into account!
Kind regards,
Abeona

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:35 am

Can you personal message me a copy of the timesheet so I can have a look?
So in the actual hours column is where you put the actual time they are in care ie 6:30-4:30 instead of the booked hours 6:30-3:30..........Does it have an adjustment section at the bottom to make an money adjustment amount?
Is your scheme one that does your timesheets for you and you just submit the times or do you do it yourself?

That's probably why they asked you to change their booked hours then. But you should be able to charge for extra hours if a family uses it.
Does your scheme use Harmony for timesheets?

Abeona

Post by Abeona » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:32 pm

Hi Linsaa.
How can I pm you? ☺️

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:21 pm

oh dear I can't remember, I will check it out tomorrow morning and let you know

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:20 pm

Abeona wrote:Hi Linsaa.
How can I pm you? ☺️
In Linsaa's post click on her username and it will go to her profile. From there you can message her. You will find the message button on the banner.

:geek:,
Lorina