Claiming Regular Doc Appointments As Sick Leave While Pregnant

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
aranadee

Claiming Regular Doc Appointments As Sick Leave While Pregnant

Post by aranadee » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:24 am

Hi lorraine.

Im pregnant and im going for monthly regular doc appointments .But my manager at work said that i cant claim it as sick leave ,so i have to choose whether im going to take that day off as unpaid or annual deduction.Is that legal?because i have read some articles and it says still we can claim regular appointments as sick leave(Personal Leave).

Thanks lot.

Lorina

Re: Claiming Regular Doc Appointments As Sick Leave While Pregnant

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:35 am

Since you are pregnant you can claim "personal leave" if you are unfit to work during your pregnancy, however, I'm not too sure if this included regular doctor check-ups as well.

I will contact Fair Work Australia and let you know what they say...

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:41 am

Just a couple of questions, what is your current position, are you working full time/part time, are you taking maternity leave?

Lorina

aranadee

Post by aranadee » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:04 am

Hi,

Yes im permanent full time and working as childcare Assistant .Im taking maternity leave .but still not decide when,because i want to work for the last moment if im fit.

Thanx lot.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:34 pm

I had a look at Fair Work and it says that instead of sick leave if you are pregnant and can't work as a result of your pregnancy then you can take personal leave, which is different from sick leave. However, I'm not too sure if this is also valid for doctor's appointments as well. I will let you know once I find out more.

Also in regards to working when pregnant, just make sure that you take plenty of rest your bub comes along. Leading up to the last months of pregnancy you could feel uncomfortable and tired and the last thing you should worry about is working. So, for you and your little one take it easy!

Lorina