2 IC / Educational Leader award classification.

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
PeppermintPolkadot

2 IC / Educational Leader award classification.

Post by PeppermintPolkadot » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:30 pm

Hello.. I'm currently considering a position as a 2IC / Educational Leader for a long day care center.

I'm having trouble trying to determine what my award classification/ Hourly rate would be?

To clarify, I hold both a Diploma and a Bachelor of Education (ECE.) And have been in the industry for over 10 years.

Lorina

Re: 2 IC / Educational Leader award classification.

Post by Lorina » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:39 am

How long have you had your Diploma for?

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:40 am

As a 2IC you will be on Level 5 and your starting rate will be $25.39/per hour full time...

Childcare Wages In Australia

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:41 am

You should also consider a Director role... or an ECT role within a service...

Lorina

PeppermintPolkadot

Post by PeppermintPolkadot » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:38 am

Thanks Lorina. I have had my Diploma for 6 years.

PeppermintPolkadot

Post by PeppermintPolkadot » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:24 am

I am also seeking ECT roles in a LDC, preferring to be employed under the VECTEA award. Am I within my rights to negotiate this to services that offer an ECT wage under the Children's Services award?

I would feel that I am suitable for a 2IC role, however have not had adequate leadership experience/ or the self confidence at this point to seek a director position.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:42 am

PeppermintPolkadot wrote:QR_BBPOST I am also seeking ECT roles in a LDC, preferring to be employed under the VECTEA award. Am I within my rights to negotiate this to services that offer an ECT wage under the Children's Services award?
If you get a position as an ECT within a centre you are under a different award since you are a qualified ECT. An ECT is not covered in the Children's Services Award unless it is for the Director position. So, you shouldn't have to worry about negotiating...However, you should double check with them as well...

Lorina

PeppermintPolkadot

Post by PeppermintPolkadot » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:51 pm

Unfortunately Lorina, I have already found from 3 ECT positions that I have enquired about, VECTEA is NOT offered and the Children's Services award is used to pay the ECT.

One from an employment agency and the others from large chains of LDC's. One director informed me that I would not be eligible for school holidays as the Kinder program was run year round and I would be entitled to 4 weeks annual leave.

Another full time ECT position offered just 3 hours a week non contact time. Sadly, having to negotiate or find a VECTEA paying role has been an issue. Even during study at University, a lecturer urged us to the importance of finding a position covered under VECTEA.

PeppermintPolkadot

Post by PeppermintPolkadot » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:55 pm

Anyway, in more positive news, next week I'm interviewing for a 3yo teacher position in a sessional kindergarten very close to home. I'm feeling really excited and confident about it and am putting together a bit of a portfolio showcasing some of my previous planned experiences and personal philosophy..

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:44 am

You mentioned that the Children's Services Award was being paid to the ECT. Was that ECT role for a director's position/room leader role, because I don't know how the centre is getting away from it, paying their ECT's on the Children's Services Award pay rate... You're right, you do have to make sure the Award is right... In regards to the school holidays, this may be a problem for long day care settings as they are opened throughout the year but there could be an alternation option. In the Educational Services Teachers Award, an ECT working in an LDC gets an extra 14% (I can't exactly remember off the top of my head - but something like this) on top of their salary if they are working within a long day care setting...

Hope your interview goes really well!

Good Luck!

Lorina