Biting in the Preschool Age Group

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
blissneso
Participator
Participator

Biting in the Preschool Age Group

Post by blissneso » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:16 pm

Hello Aussie Childcare Network Forum Friends! As an educator I am wondering what to do in a situation when you have been bitten by a child of the preschool aged group. How do you react in an appropriate way in order to teach them that biting is not OK and let them understand that they hurt you emotionally and physically. Please share your experience and let me know your advice in how to deal with this difficult situation.

gurman
Participator
Participator

Re: Biting in the Preschool Age Group

Post by gurman » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:23 am

If you see the biting incident, move quickly to the scene and get down to children’s level. Respond to the child who did the biting. In a serious, firm tone make a strong statement: “No biting. Biting hurts. I can’t let you hurt Josie or anyone else.” Next, offer a choice: “You can help make Josie feel better, or you can sit quietly until I can talk with you.” Help the child follow through on the choice if necessary.
Respond to the child who was hurt by offering comfort through words and actions: “I’m sorry you are hurting. Let’s get some ice.” Perform first aid if necessary. The child who did the biting can help comfort the bitten child—if both child agree. Help the child who was hurt find something to do.
Finally, talk to the child who did the biting. Maintain eye contact and speak in simple words using a calm, firm tone of voice. Try to find out what happened that led to the incident. Restate the rule, “Biting is not allowed.” Model the use of words that describe feelings: “Kim took your ball. You felt angry. You bit Kim. I can’t let you hurt Kim. No biting.” Discuss how the child can respond in similar situations in the future.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:37 am

Ouch that has got to hurt!

If you have been bitten by a child you need to obviously let them know that they have hurt you! From your topic heading, I'm assuming that the child is in the Preschool room so they are aware that what they are doing will hurt you and could be doing it intentionally to get a response from you... Educators should not be bitten by children and children shouldn't bite!

When it happens you firmly say "Stop you are hurting me" remove yourself from the child and go get an ice pack. For any bite where the skin isn't broken wash it with soap and water and apply an ice pack on it. Once you have received first aid, ask the child who bit you to stay with you and let them know how you feel. "I feel really sad because we were playing and then you bit me, can you tell me what I did to make you bite me". Give the child some time to explain why they bit you. You don't have to be intimidating or use a threatening tone, you just want to understand the cause of the biting. Also, the child already probably feels extremely bad at this point... You could also say something like "When you bit me it really hurt, your teeth are very sharp and it hurt me skin, it's not OK to bite and I won't let you hurt me with your biting anymore@ Then provide support to the child and say something like "when you don't like something you need to use your words because only then I know how you feel, so maybe you could trying saying stop instead" etc.

Also, don't make a big deal in front of everyone about the bite when it happens during play as you don't want to ridicule or humiliate the child just try and deal with it in a quiet way... You will also need to fill out an incident form for the biting child's parents to read as this is an incident that occurred at the service...

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

blissneso
Participator
Participator

Post by blissneso » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:22 am

That really helps a lot! I wish i knew this information before the incident happened but at least I will be prepared for next time. I did not fill out an incident form at the centre as I did not know I was supposed to but I did let the other educators know that the incident had happened. One of the issues I have is that the biting incident was unprovoked. The child was sitting next to me and we were watching the other children play on the equipment. Then the child grabbed my hand and brought it to her mouth and chomped down. I was also a bit upset that I wasn't told by the other educators that the child bites people as I would have been more careful and perhaps this situation could have been avoided. The child simply wanted my attention so I am wondering how to guide the child to seek attention in more appropriate ways? I am also wondering how to avoid similar situations in the future? It was my first experience being bitten and apparently it won't be the last.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:16 am

Maybe you could have a group discussion with the children on appropriate ways to get an educators attention. Such as patting the educator in the back, calling the educators name, walking over to the educator etc. You could also discuss with the group what are some inappropriate ways... such as biting, hitting, etc. You could also probably find some stories on biting and how it hurts etc.

Yes, you should of been informed that the child bites and an incident form should of been written to let the biting child's parent let them know that this incident occurred...

:geek:,
Lorina