Childcare Award Wages: Classification Levels Explained

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Lorina

Childcare Award Wages: Classification Levels Explained

Post by Lorina » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:19 am

Classification Structure For Children's Service's Employees (CSE)

Level 1:
This is an employee who has no formal qualifications but is able to perform work within the scope of this level. The employee will work under direct supervision in a team environment and will receive guidance and direction at all times. The employee will receive structured and regular on - the - job training to perform the duties expected at this level. Normally an employee at this level will not be left alone with a group of children.

Indicative duties:
Learning and implementing the policies, procedures and routines of the service.
Learning how to establish relationships and interact with children.
Learning the basic skills required to work in this environment with children.
Giving each child individual attention and comfort as required.
Basic duties including food preparation, cleaning and gardening.

Progression:
A Level 1 employee will progress to the next level after a period of one year or earlier if the employer considers the employee capable of performing the work at the next level or if the employee actually performs work at the next level.

Level 2:
This is an employee who has completed 12 months in Level 1, or a relevant AQF Certificate II, or in the opinion of the employer has sufficient knowledge and experience to perform the work within the scope of this level. An employee at this level has limited knowledge and experience in children's services and is expected to take limited responsibility for their own work.

Indicative duties:
Assist in the implementation of the children's program under supervision.
Assist in the implementation of daily care routines.
Develop awareness of and assist in maintenance of the health and safety of the children in care.
Give each child individual attention and comfort as required.
Understand and work according to the centre or service's policies and procedures.
Demonstrate knowledge of hygienic handling of food and equipment.

Level 3A:
Such an employee would be an ‘E' Worker as previously classified under the Child Care (Long Day Care) WA Award 2005 as CSE Level 2.

Level 3:
This is an employee who has completed AQF Certificate III in Children's Services or an equivalent qualification or, alternatively, this employee will possess, in the opinion of the employer, sufficient knowledge or experience to perform the duties at this level. An employee appointed at this level will also undertake the same duties and perform the same tasks as a CSE Level 2.

Indicative duties:
Assist in the preparation, implementation and evaluation of developmentally appropriate programs for individual children or groups.
Record observations of individual children or groups for program planning purposes for qualified staff.
Under direction, work with individual children with particular needs.
Assist in the direction of untrained staff.
Undertake and implement the requirements of quality assurance.
Work in accordance with food safety regulations.

Progression:
Subject to this award, an employee at this level is entitled to progression to Level 3.3. An employee at this level who has completed an AQF Diploma in Children's Services or equivalent, and who demonstrates the application of skills and knowledge acquired beyond the competencies required for AQF Certificate III in the ongoing performance of their work, must be paid no less than the rate prescribed for Level 3.4. Such an employee would also include an ‘E' Worker as previously classified under the Child Care (Long Day Care) WA Award 2005 as a CSE Level 3.

Level 4A:
This is an employee who has not obtained the qualifications required for a Level 4 employee who performs the same duties as a Level 4 employee.

Level 4:
This is an employee who has completed a Diploma in Children's Services or equivalent (e.g. Certificate IV in Out of School Hours Care) as recognised by licensing authorities and is appointed as the person in charge of a group of children in the age range from birth to 12 years or an employee who is appointed as an Authorised Supervisor (as defined in the Children and Young Persons (Care and Protection) Act 1998 (NSW)). An employee at this level will also take on the same duties and perform the same tasks as a CSE Level 3.

Indicative duties:
Responsible, in consultation with the Assistant Director/Director for the preparation, implementation and evaluation of a developmentally appropriate program for individual children or groups.
Responsible to the Assistant Director/Director for the supervision of students on placement.
Responsible for ensuring a safe environment is maintained for both staff and children.
Responsible for ensuring that records are maintained accurately for each child in their care.
Develop, implement and evaluate daily care routines.
Ensure that the centre or service's policies and procedures are adhered to.
Liaise with families.

Level 5A:
This is an employee who has not obtained the qualification required for a Level 5 employee who performs the same duties as a Level 5 employee.

Level 5:
This is an employee who has completed an AQF Level V Diploma in Children's Services or equivalent and is appointed as:
Assistant Director of a service;
A Children's Services coordinator;
A Family Day Care coordinator;
A Family Day Care Trainee Supervisor; or
 School Age Care coordinator.

An Assistant Director will also take on the same duties and perform the same tasks as a CSE Level 4.

Indicative duties:
Co - ordinate and direct the activities of employees engaged in the implementation and evaluation of developmentally appropriate programs.
Contribute, through the Director, to the development of the centre or service's policies.
Co - ordinate centre or service operations including Occupational Health and Safety, program planning, staff training.
Responsible for the day - to - day management of the centre or service in the temporary absence of the Director and for management and compliance with licensing and all statutory and quality assurance issues.
Generally supervise all employees within the service.

A Children's Service Co - ordinator undertakes additional responsibilities including:
Coordinating the activities of more than one group;
Supervising staff, trainees and students on placement; and
Assisting in administrative functions.

A Family Day Care Co - ordinator undertakes the following indicative duties:
Arranges, administers and monitors a number of Family Day Care placements;
responsible for the direction, supervision and training of a number of family based childcare workers;
Implements licensing regulations and accreditation requirements for family day care;
Assists in recruiting and approving the registration of family based childcare workers in accordance with the scheme's policies and licensing regulations;
Documents, interprets and uses information about children;
Assists family based childcare workers to develop care routines for children;
Communicates effectively with family based childcare workers, children, parents and families;
Applies well - developed theoretical knowledge to the care situations with respect to cultural diversity, gender issues and scheme philosophy;
Responsible for the quality of their own work and the work of others; and
Ensures that records are maintained and up to date.

A Family Day Care Trainee Supervisor undertakes the following indicative duties:
Provides support and guidance to family based childcare workers undertaking the AQF Certificate III Traineeship;
Undertakes supervision visits for the purpose of on - the - job workplace assessment;
Organizes training assistance such as additional resources, in - service sessions and study groups as required; and
Contributes to the development of the scheme's policies.

An unqualified Co - ordinator who co - ordinates and manages a stand alone out - of - school hours care and/or vacation care centre may undertake the following:
Develop and/or oversee programs and ensure they offer a balance of flexibility, variety, safety and fun;
Supervise the programs/activities and ensure each staff member is fulfilling their relevant duties and responsibilities;
Carry out administrative tasks including fee collection and receipting, banking, staff pay, etc;
Administer first aid when appropriate and ensure that injured children receive appropriate medical attention;
Work positively with parents and/or committees; and
Understand and work in accordance with the centre or service's policies.

Level 6A:
This is an employee who has not obtained the qualification required for a Level 6 employee who performs the same duties as a Level 6 employee.

Level 6 - Director:
A Director is an employee who holds a relevant Degree or a 3 or 4 year Early Childhood Education qualification, or an AQF Advanced Diploma, or a Diploma in Children's Services, or a Diploma in Out - of - Hours Care; or is otherwise a person possessing such experience, or holding such qualifications deemed by the employer or the relevant legislation to be appropriate or required for the position, and who is appointed as the director of a service.

Indicative duties:
Responsible for the overall management and administration of the service.
Supervise the implementation of developmentally appropriate programs for children.
Recruit staff in accordance with relevant regulations.
Maintain day - to - day accounts and handle all administrative matters.
Ensure that the centre or service adheres to all relevant regulations and statutory requirements.
Ensure that the centre or service meets or exceeds quality assurance requirements.
Liaise with families and outside agencies.
Formulate and evaluate annual budgets.
Liaise with management committees as appropriate.
Provide professional leadership and development to staff.
Develop and maintain policies and procedures for the centre or service.

Director Level 1
A Director Level 1 is an employee appointed as the Director of a service licensed for up to 39 children or a Family Day Care service of no more than 30 family based childcare workers and is paid at the Level 6.1 to 6.3 salary range.

Director Level 2
A Director Level 2 is an employee appointed as the Director of a service licensed for between 40 and 59 children or a Family Day Care service with between 31 and 60 family based childcare workers and is paid at the Level 6.4 to 6.6 salary range.

Director Level 3
A Director Level 3 is an employee appointed as the Director of a service licensed for 60 or more children or a Family Day Care service with more 60 family based childcare workers and is paid at the Level 6.7 to 6.9 salary range.

Qualified Co - ordinator
This is also the level for a qualified Co - ordinator who co - ordinates and manages a stand alone out - of - school hours care and/or vacation care centre and has successfully completed a post - secondary course of at least two years in Early Childhood Studies or an equivalent qualification. A Co - ordinator appointed to co - ordinate the activities of a service licensed to accommodate up to 59 children will be paid at the salary range Level 6.1 to 6.3. A Co - ordinator appointed to co - ordinate the activities of a service licensed to accommodate 60 or more children will be paid at the salary range Level 6.4 to 6.6.

Harmony
Participator
Participator

Re: Childcare Award Wages: Classification Levels Explained

Post by Harmony » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:14 pm

Hi just wondering if the next step from 3.4 is to 4 (for someone not appointed in charge of children)? I can't seem to work it out.

Cheers

kelly1212

Post by kelly1212 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:35 pm

Thank you for that information. I found it very helpful.

Kel

erikawilson081012

Post by erikawilson081012 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:15 pm

Hi L.A,

Good day. I just thought of messaging you cause I really believe you know heaps a lot about childcare. Since you posted something about the classification of levels, I think you are the best person to ask about my query. As mentioned in my last post , I'm 22 and I'll be doing my children services cert III traineeship ans I still don't know what rate to expect . I saw a link and found info about the award rates and classification levels. My concern is I do not know where I belong, in what level? Do I belong in Children Services Employee level 1.1 ? 2.1 ? or 3A.1? or 3.1 ? :think: :? :? :think:
And with regard to this as well,
"In this schedule:
adult trainee is a trainee who would qualify for the highest minimum wage in Wage Level A, B or C if covered by that wage level"

I'm 22, am I eligible to get this benefit?

Thank you and I hope you can share some of your ideas on this matter L.A.

Erika :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:24 pm

Hi Erika,

In regards to the pay rates, when completing a certificate 3 traineeship in children's services the rates are as follows:

Wage Level A

Subject to clause D.5.3 of this schedule, the minimum wages for a trainee undertaking a full - time AQF Certificate Level I-III traineeship whose training package and AQF certificate levels are allocated to Wage Level A by Appendix D1 are:

Highest year of schooling completed

Year 10:

School Leaver - $272.40 per week
Plus 1 year out of school - $300.10 per week
Plus 2 years out of school- $357.50 per week
Plus 3 years out of school - $416.00 per week
Plus 4 years out of school - $484.10 per week
Plus 5 or more years out of school- $554.30 per week

Year 11:

School Leaver - $300.10 per week
Plus 1 year out of school - $357.50 per week
Plus 2 years out of school- $416.00 per week
Plus 3 years out of school - $484.10 per week
Plus 4 years out of school - $554.30 per week

Year 12:

School Leaver - $357.50 per week
Plus 1 year out of school - $416.00 per week
Plus 2 years out of school- $484.10 per week
Plus 3 years out of school - $554.30 per week

From my understanding, as an adult trainee the minimum wage would be $554.30 per week.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:31 pm

Harmony wrote:Hi just wondering if the next step from 3.4 is to 4 (for someone not appointed in charge of children)? I can't seem to work it out.

Cheers

Classification Level 4 is for someone who has completed their Diploma of Children's Services. If you have only completed a Certificate 3 in Children's Services you are classified as Level 3. Once you have reached the maximum number of levels for your particular Classification then in order to receive more pay, you will either have to expand your qualification or change your job position.

Hope this helps,

L.A

Harmony
Participator
Participator

Post by Harmony » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:08 pm

Thanks L.A,

I am a Diploma assistant and I am on step 3.4, in the awards it says "3.4 (Diploma)" which I found confusing...

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:34 am

Level 3.4 is the classification given to a Diploma qualified who is not the group leader. If you are a diploma qualified group leader then you will be at level 4.

L.A

TanyaK

Post by TanyaK » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:57 am

Hi Lorina

I know this is an old post, so I'm hoping the information is still current and that you will reply!

Okay, so...

I'm working as a Lead Educator (LE) working towards my diploma. What level is this? I was thinking 4A. I've been at the workplace for three years, working as LE for only 5 months. Does pay go up each year depending on how long you've been at the workplace, or how long you've held a job position?

Thanks!
Tanya

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:34 pm

Hi Tanya,

Don't worry I'm always on this site! :thumbup:

Regarding your question, yes it sounds like you are on Level 4A until your complete your Diploma qualification where you will move onto Level 4.1.

To progress onto the next level, in the Children's Services Award it states:

Progression for children’s services employees

(a) Progression from one level to the next within a classification is subject to an employee meeting the following criteria:

(i) competency at the existing level;

(ii) 12 months experience at that level (or in the case of employees employed for 19 hours or less per week, 24 months) and in-service training as required; and

(iii) demonstrated ability to acquire the skills necessary for advancement to the next pay point.

So, this means you will need to have at least 12 months experience in your current position.

Hope this helps,

Lorina

funny

Post by funny » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:03 pm

Hi just wondering I have only just started in childcare and am currently studying my cert3 just wondering what pay rate I should be on. No previous work in child care and currently studying my cert 3 can anyone help I am getting level 1 but have been told that isnt correct. I am 32 years old. can anyone help its very confusing.
Thank You

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:50 am

According to ACECQA "Working Towards A Qualification" you can be counted as a cert 3 educator if you meet the following requirements:

A person who meets requirements 1 to 4 below may be counted as a certificate III qualified educator. They must also give the approved provider documentary evidence from their course provider that they meet requirements 2 to 4.

The requirements for actively working towards an approved qualification are:
being enrolled in a course for the qualification
having commenced the course
making satisfactory progress towards completion
meeting the requirements to maintain enrolment

Ref: Actively Working Towards A Qualification

If you meet the above requirements as stated by ACECQA you will be on Level 3A...

Hope this helps,

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:51 am

Also, just wanted to ask... what position are you in? Are you an assistant educator in the room?

Lorina

funny

Post by funny » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:38 pm

sorry for the late reply have been so busy thank you for your help I have had a read of this information and this is good to know to possiably have the converstion with the boss I am currently a causal on call float so I am assisting in rooms when the assistant or anyone for that matter is away but since i hold no certs I can not be in a room on my own and am getting paid at lowest rate. level 1.1

balanceandcomposure

Post by balanceandcomposure » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:46 pm

Hi Lorina,

What level would I be if I've finished my Diploma but not lead educator and will be in the second year at the centre?

I can't figure it out

Thank you!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:04 pm

balanceandcomposure wrote:Hi Lorina,

What level would I be if I've finished my Diploma but not lead educator and will be in the second year at the centre?

I can't figure it out

Thank you!
You would be on Level 3.4. This is the level of a diploma qualified educator working as an assistant in the room...

Hope this helps!

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:09 pm

balanceandcomposure wrote:Hi Lorina,

I can't figure it out

Thank you!
Just wanted to add.. As a Diploma qualified assistant educator your Level won't increase depending on how many years of service you have done. You will always be on Level 3.4. You would need to be a room leader for your wages to increase any more than this...

Hope this helps!

Lorina

JasminLau

Post by JasminLau » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:06 am

Hi Lorina,

Thank you so much for your information. I will be completing a master of teaching in early childhood degree by October and would like to know what level I am on as I have been offered casual after I finish my studies. My only experience in early childhood was my three unpaid practical experience which was 4 weeks full time 5 days for my last two pracs and my last practical experience is 9 weeks. Not sure whether that counts as "years of work experience"? Would you know how superannuation is calculated if I work as causal ? Thanks so much!

Jasmin

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:36 pm

JasminLau wrote:Hi Lorina,

Thank you so much for your information. I will be completing a master of teaching in early childhood degree by October and would like to know what level I am on as I have been offered casual after I finish my studies. My only experience in early childhood was my three unpaid practical experience which was 4 weeks full time 5 days for my last two pracs and my last practical experience is 9 weeks. Not sure whether that counts as "years of work experience"? Would you know how superannuation is calculated if I work as causal ? Thanks so much!

Jasmin
What position have you been offered as a casual?

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:53 am

It depends on what position you are offered as a casual... If you are employed as an ECT within the service then you will be paid based on the Education and Care Teachers Award, however if you are employed as a room leader I think you are only paid as a Diploma qualified...

Lorina