Documenting EYLF - Family Day Care

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Amanda Close

Documenting EYLF - Family Day Care

Post by Amanda Close » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:31 pm

Hi all,
I am a fdc'er and I need help with documenting eylf evidences. I need to formulte an easy way, or should I say a compact way, of documenting programms etc that will cover all areas of eylf when there is only one of me on a daily basis with 3 -5 children.
I have looked at, and revised doco's on the resourses section of aussiechildcarenetwork, but still find that I have 3 - 4 forms to complete each day.
I want to provide full coverage and complete documentation for myself, families, child profiles and meet quality standards.
All suggestions so gratefully recieved
:)) Amanda

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Re: Documenting EYLF - Family Day Care

Post by LindyT » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:54 am

Hi Amanda,
I too am a FDC'er
I am in the process of looking into the same things as you.
I'm designing my own diary/programming page.
I've only just started but it might give you some ideas or you can help me work on this and we can refine it.
It is in it's infancy and I've as yet not given credit to those I have gotten ideas from
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jrw60
Participator
Participator

Post by jrw60 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:52 am

Hello,
Another FDC'er or "Home Based Educator" here. Have been working with EYLF for just over a year now. The articles and forms on this site are a fantastic way to start your learning journey. I can't remember how many different ways of documenting I've tried out, but over time have become comfortable with what I have developed myself through research. Be prepared to try try again until you find a way that fits you and your service personally. There is a lot of info out there now and it is easy to feel overwhelmed but take your time and enjoy the ride!

Amanda Close

Post by Amanda Close » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:38 am

Lindy, thank you for sharing your ideas...most welcome and I particularly liked the bottom section where you have defined all the Learning Outcomes.
Jen, encouraging words thanks...I too have and am trying many forms of documentation and have at this point whittled them down to 3 - 4 but still not happy with them. Enjoy the ride?? I will keep trying :)

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:54 am

Have just updated it a bit more. Is a work in progress lol
Stole an idea from LA's documentation too (Sorry LA)

This is the one I took and had printed off as a trial. I am very happy with it. Anyone see anything I have missed?
a3 diary for printing.docx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:37 am

Hi Lindy,

I've just had a look at your creation... I'm impressed... I've liked what you have come up with... So, if I'm not mistaken this is a weekly "daily diary" where you have incorporated child checks, sleep, sunscreen and an account of what happened during the day... Like an all in one document! Will this be used as a program as well or do you have a separate program where you will add on your follow up experiences? Also what about meals and if the children ate or not?... maybe you could include it into this document as well..

I'm sorry if these questions sound silly, I never had any experience with family day care... I know it's different from LDC so I just need to get an idea of how it differs...

Overall I love your ideas in incorporating all the elements into the one document...

Most importantly I really appreciate you sharing your own work with everyone!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:17 am

Thanks LA

As they say the only silly question is the one you dont ask.

I would move the ideas/activities that come forwardi nthe forward planning section to a display sheet for programming with includes the childrens names in name date code.

Yes I should include a section about their eating habbits. (Good catch)
I have found a few omissions myself.
I need to make the sleep checks to include each day of the week somehow and I have missed a colum for the NQF which I will add.

So now to find a way to work a weekly sleep and eating list into it.

Anyone got suggestions how I can do this?? :geek:

jrw60
Participator
Participator

Post by jrw60 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:12 am

Hi Lindy

Great minds think alike! I'm also working on something similar where everything is in one place. The yearly planner from Smarty Arty is great, but as I'm trying it I'm finding there are things in it I don't need and other things missing that I do need......so it's a work in progress towards what I really want. Thanks so much for sharing yours! For daily communication to parents I currently use a form which is on display for them to read - headings are Name, nappies (wet/soiled), toileting (Independent, sat & tried, accidents) appetite (ate all, most, some), sleep/rest (from...to...) or rest only. All have little boxes to tick off. I used to use little exercise books but they didn't always make it back here, and this saves lots of trees as I fit 3 days to an A4 page! Unfortunately I have no idea how to attach a copy here but will try later if you want a look!

Cheers, Jen

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:38 am

Hi Jen I too have the Smarty Arty diary but it doesnt work for me or my scheme.

I'd most definately like to see your sheet.
Down the botton of where you replied to me next to the options button is an 'upload attachment' button. Click on that and it is fairly straight forward.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:52 pm

Hey Lindy,

I've just been thinking about the template you made and it will be great to incorporate the daily diary you made along with the Program somehow so the experiences in the following up planning can be written on the program which is also included in the same document... I just thought of an idea... Do you know how you made a box each day with observation, underneath each of the observations you could add another column box exactly like it and title it daily curriculum. Then instead of having forward planning whatever activities you want to implement you can add it in the column titled "Daily Curriculum" along with the LOC and I... So, when you look at this document you will have the top bit with all the child info, then the "observation" which you could probably change to "learning experience" and below it the activities/experiences on the "Daily Curriculum", which shows what the children experienced on each day... I really hope this makes sense and I know I'm probably rambling on... LOL... If you don't understand what I mean then let me know and I'll try to add it to your sample so, you can get a better idea..

Anyways, just an idea I wanted to share. BTW - you can name the headings anything you want I just added what I'm familiar with...:giggle:

L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:30 pm

Hey Lindy,

I guess I couldn't wait any longer so I added my edits in the diary sample you posted... This should hopefully give you an idea on what I'm talking about. Also I've added the meal times at the top next to the sleep column for each day (I only did it for the one day). Let me know what you think...

[attachment=0]A3_Diary_FDC_LA_EDITS.docx[/attachment]
Hey Jrw60,

I would love to see your samples too, if you don't mind sharing. It will be great to get an idea on how people are creating their documentation... it will be awesome if you could share it... To upload the attachment first click on post reply at the bottom of this page and like Lindy said you'll see the upload attachment tab down the bottom!

L.A

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:04 pm

scratches head not quite sure I'm 'getting ' your idea.

Wanna show me? (I'm a visual person!)

Ah I see said the blind man!

Hear hear said the deaf man!

Here's what I have so far.
Will have to start using it tomorrow so fingers crossed.
a3 diary for printing.docx

jrw60
Participator
Participator

Post by jrw60 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:31 pm

DAILY COMM PARENTS 2011v2.docx
I am so inspired by all the great advice on here - thanks everyone! Here is the daily communication sheet I mentioned earlier, Lindy. Keep in mind it is also a work in progress - I printed several out double sided then realised it would be easier to type in the children's names & dates and separate each day of the week after I started using it. I display this on a noticeboard for the parents to sight each day. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:43 am

Looking good jrw60,

Looking at yours reminded me that I need to do a nappy change table as well.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:17 pm

Hey Lindy,

Love what you came up with for your draft and I'm glad you understood what I meant about adding the Daily Curriculum underneath the Observation section... Although you may have to make it a longer column in order to fit each follow up experiences on... or maybe not... It's all about trial and error! I really am so excited for you, it's great to use a document that you created and overall understand!!

Hey Jrw60,

Great idea on the communication chart... it's simple and best of all it's all on one page! Oh and all you have to do is tick boxes... so easy...

I know Im probably repeating myself here but to the both of you THANKS FOR SHARING! :mrgreen:

L.A

Amanda Close

Post by Amanda Close » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:51 pm

Wow Lindy, look at all the work you've done. This is fantastic!
Thanks once again for sharing. :thumbup:
I had not thought of adding daily routines into my documenting. I have been concentrating on observations, out comes and forward planning, with a couple of learning stories as well.
I do have a loose plan/program time line at the top of my form.
I will have a go at up loading it.
This is great...sharing and stuff. :giggle:
Nope, cant send it..extensin is not allowed

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:05 am

Hi Amanda am glad you liked it. Is only by sharing these ideas we can evolve our planning and documentation.

Am interested in what type of file extension you were trying to attach?

Amanda Close

Post by Amanda Close » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:26 pm

file extention?...not sure on terminology here, but the program I used to design the form was works word processor. Not too comp. savvy lol :oops:

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:12 am

Blank for programming sheet.docx
Yet again my baby has grown.

I've been trolling through the wonderful resources here and have added some things from the resources pages. :giggle:

My coord had a look at my sheet this week and she was REALLY impressed.
So thanks everyone for your input and suggestions.
This help is what makes this site such a valuable resource.

Amanda Close

Post by Amanda Close » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:07 am

Wow this has grow into something all incluseve..well done Lindy. Its been interesting to see your documentation form develope :).
Thought I might try again to send you what I have come up with. :think:
DATE CURICULUM.docx