how to start a childcare care business in melbourne

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
janachu

how to start a childcare care business in melbourne

Post by janachu » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:41 pm

Hi there,

I just completed my diploma in childcare and found a job in a good centre. However, I still want to open my own childcare care centre in south-east suburb, Melbourne, in near future. Ideally, I would start with small amount of children around 20-30 everyday. I've contacted a few business sell agencies, however, they told me the childcare business is very popular recently and would be very hard to buy an exist-centre.

I have a few questions about this business:
1) should I start now or wait for another a few years after I get more experience? Government is currently working on this area, I'm afraid I might miss good opportunity if I start after a few years. what do you think?
2) would it work if I rent a residential property and then restructure it after as it will be too experience if I buy a land and build a new one. also, I don't want to do the franchise. Is there any other ways to start with?
3) I found that there are so many childcare centres in Melbourne. Do you think it's still on storage?

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!

Lorina

Re: how to start a childcare care business in melbourne

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:05 am

In my opinion I really think that you should gain alot more experience! You have got so much to lean in this industry and now that you are qualified you can experience it first hand.. You should also consider a "Nominated Supervisor" role or even a Director position which will really put you in the drivers seat. These two positions enable you to really feel what it's like to running a centre since you will be dealing with each and every part of running a service.

Another option you can look into is FDC (family day care), you use your existing home as a "childcare setting" and you can look up to 7 children a day in your home. You still need to follow and implement or regulations, laws, EYLF and NQS etc. You can actually get this going asap if you can use your home and set up an area within your home that can be used...

Would this be something you could be interested in?

:geek:,
Lorina

janachu

Post by janachu » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:06 pm

Hi Lorina,

Thank you so much for your reply. It's very useful. I agree with you that I should gain more experience in this industry before I start to run a centre. Also, I know it's easier to use my own property as a start. However, for certain reasons, I'm unable to make it in this way. I would prefer to rent a residential spot to run a centre rather than using my own property running a family day care.Would it work as well? If it works, what should I do? Where should I start with?

thank you so much for your quick reply again!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:27 pm

I would prefer to rent a residential spot to run a centre rather than using my own property running a family day care.Would it work as well? If it works, what should I do? Where should I start with?
So does this mean you're interested in FDC but would rather use another property other than your own?

Lorina

janachu

Post by janachu » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:33 am

Hi Lorina,

I'm not very interested in FDC; especially I have a partner, she will invest this busniess and work on together with me (I asked the staff from council here, she said I'm not allowed to work on with or hire someone else if I run a FDC). Also, I would like to rent a place to do the business not use my own property.

Best regards,
Jana

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:26 pm

Hi Jana,

It' very hard to find a residential property to turn into a childcare centre. Let alone rent... You need to convert the house to make it suitable for a childcare. So, this means you need to make sure there is enough room for the amount of children you're going to have, have rooms for each of the age groups, have sleep areas for the rooms, meal areas, nappy change area, bathrooms, enough outdoor space etc, A house can be converted however if you are renting I don't know if the owners are going to allow you to make the changes to their house to turn it into a childcare but then maybe they will (if you're lucky)... How about buying an existing centre or franchising?

Lorina

samne

Post by samne » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:03 pm

Lorina wrote:In my opinion I really think that you should gain alot more experience! You have got so much to lean in this industry and now that you are qualified you can experience it first hand.. You should also consider a "Nominated Supervisor" role or even a Director position which will really put you in the drivers seat. These two positions enable you to really feel what it's like to running a centre since you will be dealing with each and every part of running a service.

Can Jana hire an experienced director who can be "Nominated Supervisor"? This helps her to get started soon instead of waiting till she gets few more years of experience under her belt.

shree

Post by shree » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:11 pm

Hi Jana,

I just went through this forum. I am on same boat at the moment. I live in Melbourne, just curious how did you go with your childcare plan. Did you open one finally. Please do share your experience.

Thanks

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:49 am

Here is a topic on one of our members opening an FDC:

How To Start Your Own FDC

Lorina