Assignment Tips & Study Strategies

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please refer to Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Assignment Tips & Study Strategies

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:52 am

Everyone has a different way of going about their study and assignments and workload.
Just thought perhaps everyone can share what works for them so that other people can read it and maybe pick up some good study tips. I have found it good to tell people what and how I study as some people, esp those new to formal study or returning to it after a big gap feel very apprehensive.

I always set myself clear goals eg. will finish assignment 1 task 1 within 2-3 days etc .... be realistic about how much time u need for your assignments, rushing yourself will just leave you stressed and frazzled and your assignment will not be the best if you rush through to just get it done.

If you are busy again realistically assign time to your study even if it is just 1/2hr a day & study away from distractions, phone, tv, kids etc ... make sure that people around you know u r studying and do not disturb u for that time period

Having the recommended texts I say is always a must, even if you hardly use them they are a good resource and will be with you forever.

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Re: Assignment Tips & Study Strategies

Post by catchmeifucan » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:46 pm

Hi fefe76,

A very good topic!!

I will share what I learnt from my good old days of studying. Many times I have noticed that in the beginning, when starting to do an assignment, it appears sooooo hard and sometimes it doesnt make any sense what so ever!! I straight away start to think - OMG, how am I gonna do this? This is so hard, I dont understand this! etc..etc..But after awhile I understood that "Research" is the key to everything. A subject is ONLY hard when we dont know anything about it. But once you start researching to understand the question and ways to answer it, you begin to learn more along the process and the question all of a sudden begins to make sense. This is always the case..it is only hard in the beginning, but once you start learning it will be a lot easier. So people who give up as soon as they read an assignment question, A TIP - 'Dont panic! Just start your research and you will gain the knowledge'.

I have never come across an assignment that was impossible to complete. All the assignments are doable. Make sure you give 2-3 days for each (atleast) and try NOT to finish it in haste. Your hard work will be reflected on your grades...and it is worth end of the day.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:20 pm

With a lot of the scenario-type questions you find you have to do, its always good to imagine yourself in the scene rather than the 3rd person ... put yourself in that position and then ask yourself what you would do, it makes those questions much easier when you do it that way.

Like catchmeifucan said Don't Panic! yes a lot of the assignments you will look at and go "huh, what theu hell are they asking me" but just read through it slowly.
The unit heading will be a big clue of what the assignment is, and you can usually find a lot of resources by searching key words eg toddler development, rural childcare etc

No study can be done without collecting relevent background info first, unless you have a lot of experience and can just do the assignments without anything!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:35 pm

Hi FeFe,

Great topic :mrgreen: !

Just wanted to pass on some of my own study tips...

The first thing I like to do is read over the questions that I need to answer. This way I know the type of information I'm looking for. After I read the question I give myself some time to list any information I already know about the particular question or ideas I have on what the answer can be. Then after I come up with the list of answers I re-word it to answer the question.

When researching information in books, articles etc... I use highlighters to highlight useful information that I can include in my answer. I also find it very helpful to note down the page no. of where to find the info I highlighted so I can refer back to it later. I also find when reading information (on the net) to bullet point relevant points onto a notepad. This also helps me to refer back to it when writing my answers.

Once I have gathered the information needed for the question I read the points I have made then write my answer, using my own words. This way the information is still fresh in my memory. Sometimes when writing answers to questions I don't know where to begin but once you get an idea you can normally build upon it from there...

It's also a good idea to try and study where there a little distractions, this could be in your room or using the lounge room or the library.. If you are studying at home let your family members know so they don't interrupt you during your study time. Also make sure that you have all your study materials in front of you so you don't get distracted by trying to look for things...

I found that listening to music on low volume also helped me as this helped me relieve some of the boredom i get while studying... I don't recommend watching T.V and this can be a major distraction.

Like Fefe and catchmeifucan I want to mention about the assignment questions... I don't know why they do it (although there are probably many answers) but sometimes when reading a question you think "how the hell am I going to answer that" (I know I did). If I don't understand the question how am i supposed to answer it. However once you re-read it a few times the question can be very simple and it's the wording they use that normally throws you off. If you don't understand the question... don't panic.. just re-read it... if you don't understand the words they use, get hold of a thesaurus... or you can always post your question on this forum ;) :lol: ... In all seriousness, ask a family member to read the question and see if they can interpret it for you... sometimes all you need is a second opinion!

Well that's all I really do when it comes to studying...

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:40 pm

Post-its can be your new best friend! ... When I study I have heaps.... I use little ones to stick on pages of text that are important....big ones to make notes....huge ones for reminding myself of stuff!!! or jotting down bullet points as I read thru ref material or text books
you can colour code them too...eg all green ones are assignment 1, red assignment 2

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:28 pm

There are many times students have trouble trying to describe the answer in words although they may know how to answer it. You can even notice in this forum. Sometimes, it can be hard to phrase it in sentence even if you may know what you need to say. During these times, I normally write my answer in a very simple english at first. I dont worry too much about the grammer or the way the sentence is framed. I just get my draft answer first. I then re-read it, try to re-phrase it to a good english sentence. It always works! sometimes it can be hard when you begin to think how to start.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:36 pm

One thing again that I seem to notice on here, people studying without the recommended textbooks :wtf:
If books are recommended, it is so for a reason ....they help you understand what you are meant to learn and help you with assignments.
How can one study a Cert III or Diploma without the books??? Nothing will make sense.
Books can be costly but if bought online or second hand they are very affordable.
Personally I always get the books, I got mine for my Diploma, never needed to use them but I got them regardless because you never know what book may come in useful during your career.
I have a big collection of Montessori books and am building a collection of other books and resources helpful to me as a GL.
In short GET THE BOOKS

Misse84
Helper
Helper

Post by Misse84 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:37 pm

One thing I heard which is really good : Write things as if the person reading it ( teacher etc ) has no clue about the topic . That way you can make it simple yet informative . And one thing I need to learn: read the questions !

syakira
Helper
Helper

Post by syakira » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:42 am

I always try to get the recommended books from the uni library. I study externally so I make an effort to borrow the books. You need to fully understand the question then you can start it. I also find find helpful is writing the question on my white board. I use a different colour for each question and I mark or tick each question that i have completed. It really has helped me to break up the assignment and work on the question that is easy to answer. Another tip is do more research and you will learn more. When i get assignments, i have no idea how to answer it. But when I start researching I can answer it. Also with referencing, I use the Harvard Style. So I make it a habit to do it straight away, such as date it, website etc. I used to do it last but would become frustrated trying to remember the websites. If you do it at very end it takes longer.

babayaga

Post by babayaga » Wed May 30, 2012 5:27 pm

all good tips, I have to have a tidy study space to be able to have a tidy mind when studying: uncluttered desk with file folders, organising racks and a big cork notice board with sleeves for assignments in progress. Good luck everybody, the world needs more great Childcare Educators!

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Wed May 30, 2012 7:01 pm

The biggest tip I could give anyone would be 'read the rubric'!!! I studied so much better at Uni when I looked at the rubric to see exactly what it was the lecturer was looking for, what areas of the assignment were afforded the most marks, and the types of things that could move me from a pass to a distinction. So I would very much recommend checking out the rubric (I assume most TAFES/Unis have them for their assignments)
Cathie

Kaz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kaz » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:05 pm

So glad I have read these tips, I have some great idea's now and hopefully won't stress myself with studying this year :D

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:34 am

Kaz wrote:So glad I have read these tips, I have some great idea's now and hopefully won't stress myself with studying this year :D
All the best with your studies this year Kaz! We're always here if you need extra support! :)

:geek:,
Lorina

KarenT

Post by KarenT » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:02 am

What a fantastic topic. For someone like me who is feeling so daunted by the thought of study, the tips here are awesome! Thank you all for sharing them!

Karen

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:39 pm

I agree! Some good ideas!

Since my laptop is my life I still use sticky notes and draw board pdf. These 2 applications on my laptop make it so much easier for me. My desktop screen is full of sticky notes! :giggle:

Lorina

Tam27

Post by Tam27 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:56 pm

Hi all, I like these strategies. I am just trying to figure out a way it would work for me. I am currently studying Diploma of Early Childhood and Education and Care and in need of some help. I am currently doing my first assessment even though I started 2 months ago. I have just found it hard to study as this is my first actual course. My assignment is based on a little boy who is being neglected. While his mother is on weekends away with her partner his older brother is home looking after him and having wild parties which include alcohol and cigarettes being involved , his clothes are unwashed, he is withdrawn, uninterested in usual activities, seems to be hungry so what would be the ethical dilemma on this situation, how can I deal with it?

hope I said this in a way for you all to understand

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:35 pm

Tam27 wrote:Hi all, I like these strategies. I am just trying to figure out a way it would work for me. I am currently studying Diploma of Early Childhood and Education and Care and in need of some help. I am currently doing my first assessment even though I started 2 months ago. I have just found it hard to study as this is my first actual course. My assignment is based on a little boy who is being neglected. While his mother is on weekends away with her partner his older brother is home looking after him and having wild parties which include alcohol and cigarettes being involved , his clothes are unwashed, he is withdrawn, uninterested in usual activities, seems to be hungry so what would be the ethical dilemma on this situation, how can I deal with it?

hope I said this in a way for you all to understand
You will need to create a new topic...

Lorina

TannaLDietrich

Post by TannaLDietrich » Sun May 27, 2018 5:13 am

This is a good post and I find most valuable tips on this topic. Music is the fashion for a kid. I think it uses as enjoyable.

Sidhe13

Post by Sidhe13 » Wed May 08, 2019 4:55 pm

This makes me feel better. I am so worried that I have fallen behind in my study! I find it really hard to focus on studying and get tired very quickly, and with all the housework, and to-do lists....study just seems to get pushed to the side a lot! There are some great tips here and I think I just need to be harder on myself and others about making time for study!

I have found it easier to use the Assessment questions as a guide for the resources we were given, since there doesn't seem to be any structure to it and it requires you to go research the Frameworks and Regulations yourself. It took me almost 6 weeks just to figure that bit out! Since then it has been smoother sailing. I've learned to talk to the trainers more too. I have a call booked with them tomorrow to discuss my feeling I am so behind, and also to discuss the trials of getting a first aid certificate and a adequate placement when I love so remotely.