Too old for a career in childcare?

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
ylee

Too old for a career in childcare?

Post by ylee » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:39 pm

Great to find this forum! Im in my late 40's and considering taking up a career in childcare again. I say again as I worked in Childcare for 10 years but that was 8-9 years ago now and I have decided to go back to what I know. I had considered a career in Nursing but would be starting as a complete novice in that field and I feel a bit 'old' to start from scratch. So a childcare career would suit me better.

But is 40 something too old to make a return? I am more interested in completing the Dip. after my Cert.3 as I would prefer to look at more of a leadership role this time around. I almost completed my Cert.3 all those years ago but not quite so I will have to do it all over again which doesnt bother me at all as no doubt a lot has changed since then anyway. I now have grandchildren (which makes me sound so old, I was a younger Mum myself) so I have a lot of contact with the under 5's still.

I am looking at doing the cert.3 in a classroom environment as I learn better this way. The course Im doing is for 3 days a week from 8.30 - 2.30. I need the discipline of a classroom otherwise I know I would deviate from my plan but how would I fit into a classroom of, Im guessing, much younger people? Are there many other older students doing this course? Will I feel like a total misfit as I know many younger people are also attracted to this profession. My 17yo daughter is about to begin her Cert.3 in Childcare through her school!

Maybe I am worrying for nothing but I guess what I am really looking for is reassurance that I will be accepted into a classroom situation at my age. The course I am thinking of doing is actually pushing for mature age students to apply. The course is fully funded by the Govt. if you meet certain criteria which I would.

Thanks for reading my small book here. Looking forward to some replies. Cheers

Sharlene J

Re: Too old for a career in childcare?

Post by Sharlene J » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:45 pm

I certainly don't think you're too old!! I've just turned 37 and have started my Diploma. I only made the choice to choose Childcare as a career because I had to find something that would fit in with my family. Yes, you may be older than a lot of other classmates, but think of the life experience that you can bring and contribute to your class. Go in with an open slate and positive thoughts and hopefully it will be a great experience for you - good luck!!

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:54 pm

No one is ever too old, I worked with a lady who must have been in late 50s in my last job, she was a qualified teacher returning to work. The only thing that I found a hinderance was her attitude to be honest.
At Uni in the UK we had plenty of mature students and they integrated really well ... we enjoyed their company too, it was nice having older people with a mature outlook to life and studying ...we had to complete our assignments before they allowed us to run to the pub or out clubbing :lol:
I am 35 and just completing my Diploma, though doing through Correspondence.
In my opinion if someone is a friendly person it does not matter what age they are. Like Sharlene said your life experiences can make a big contribution to the class. You will learn from the younger ones and they will learn from you.
Good Luck with the studies, I am sure you will have a great time and if you need help everyone on here is super helpful
:D

kessie

Post by kessie » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:30 am

I am doing my diploma with around 35 people, and I think only a handful would early 20's. Most of us are late 30's up to early 50's. A work friend has just enrolled in her bach of Education at 58 years old. So no way are you too old! You will find it Cert III very easy with your life experience and former childcare experience. Also each centre is very different, some have only young staff and others a mix or only mature staff. If it's funded that will be great, good luck!!

ylee

Post by ylee » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:59 am

Thanks for your very supportive replies, it makes me feel a lot better about returning to a classroom environment. I certainly admire all those women (and men) pursuing qualifications at a higher level in the mature years. My youngest are 15 & 17 so they will impact on my study time only slightly so thats a positive. Well, better see if I can get this course happening then. Time to make the call. Cheers all.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:59 am

Good luck with the study
Let us know how u get on
I'm sure it will be a great experience & pretty easy for you

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:18 pm

hi Lee. Just some added encouragement. I am 38 and have just returned to the early childhood sector after being in the finance/insurance industry. I have just enrolled in my diploma level of study and might not finish it till i am 40. So I say go for it- all your life experience is so valuable in this industry. you will have so much to offer!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:25 am

Hey ylee,

Honestly speaking it's great to have some mature and experienced women working in this industry... there are often times when you go to a centre and most of their staff are just out of high school or act like children themselves! No wonder some people in our community thinks we are babysitters! I really wish you the best of luck!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

law92
Helper
Helper

Post by law92 » Sun May 27, 2012 8:12 am

Hi

I would just like to say good luck with your studies! i am nearly finished my certificate 3 now and i am 20 years old so u will have no problem with it at all :)
the only thing i could say is that working in child care is very physically demanding and you need to be prepared to go home everyday completely physically and emotionally exhausted. it is a hard industry to work in with a high burn out rate. i just hope that u are prepared for this, and for the poor pay as well. good luck!

Rosie123
Participator
Participator

Post by Rosie123 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:09 pm

Hi

You are certainly not too old for childcare. I am 47 years old. Have in the last 2 years completed my Cert 3, Diploma and this year started my 3 year Bachelor early childhood at curtin uni. I have been in a class of younger students and have had no problems fitting in. Go for it and enjoy

Rosie

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Tue May 29, 2012 7:43 pm

yay @ Rosie- wonderful positive advice there- I Love It! ( much nicer and more helpful than the previous poster- just saying! :shh: )

Jaye16

Post by Jaye16 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:24 pm

Hi
Just to let you know my assisant is in her early 60's and has just started her cert 3, will be finished at the end of the year, and is already talking about completeing her dipolma. She always say your never too old to start something new, She's also loving it after being a office manger at a primary school for over 30 years.

Jaye

vickianne

Post by vickianne » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:46 pm

Hi I have just found this forum and it is great, everyone is so helpful and encouraging. I am 52 years old and want to go back working in Early Childhood, it has always been my passion and I use to work in the industry for about 25 years on and off, especially when my girls where young. I have owned businesses, traveled and have been a jack of all trades and a master of none. I think it is time to become a master of what I love most, thank you for this site, now just to find the right Training program to get started with my Cert 3.

Suseeq

Post by Suseeq » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:44 pm

I don't think you are too old. I returned to work and took up my Cert 3 in 2008 when I was 44. I am now on my second year of my Diploma. I am loving it. I also believe that as an older mother (and yourself now a grandmother) you can bring something valuable to the profession. Plus you are never to old to love children and want to see them make the most of their early years.
Go for it!!!!!

Grandmaforhelp

Post by Grandmaforhelp » Wed May 14, 2014 5:40 am

Hi Ylee. I don't think you are too old. Its an average age for childcare. Good luck for your career.

MarkPowter
Participator
Participator

Post by MarkPowter » Wed May 14, 2014 8:49 am

Hey Ylee! First of all well done for returning to child care - I am sure you will agree it is hard to leave the kids!

I am 21 and work with both people my age and people who are old enough to be my parents! I think it is great to have a mix between the staff and the children seem to respond well to it. My only criticism in relation to mature workers is it is easy to forget children are children and it is difficult to keep up with current trends children follow (Which seem to change on a daily basis now!). I personally don't think age has anything to do with the work but more so the personality you have and the reasons you want to work in childcare. My opinion is...If you love the job - You are never too old :)