Design, implement and evaluate programs and care routines for children

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
onturk

Design, implement and evaluate programs and care routines for children

Post by onturk » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:14 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCPR510A
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Advanced Knowledge

Your Question?
I'm so confused when It comes to evaluating activities for program planning. For my evaluations I wrote about what children did, their interactions, any changes that i would do, further planning and my outcome but I'm so confused when it comes to short term broad goal. It's asking me what my short term goal is for the overall plan but I just thought it was the outcomes but apparently their different? If it is different how do I put this into my evaluation?

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
I'm in a 3-4 year old room. Would a broad goal be to get all children involved in the activities or something like setting up an environment for children to work cooperatively.

Description and Message:
My teacher is coming to visit me real soon and I would like an answer ASAP
thank you

onturk

Re: Design, implement and evaluate programs and care routines for children

Post by onturk » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:21 pm

Its saying evaluate program in relation to short term goals of the program but I don't understand because I thought the outcomes were the goals. How do I include both in their?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:20 am

As a short term broad goal you can still use one of the learning outcomes. It is basically what you want all the children to achieve throughout the program. So, if you are doing a weekly program and you are adding a short term broad goal 5.3 Children express ideas and make meaning using a range of media, you need to evaluate if all the children were successful in achieving this goal and how. Usually you do this evaluation at the end of the week. On the program you have a short term goal an overall one as well as individual goals for each expereince.

As well as using the learning outcomes for a short term broad goal you can also use part of your service philosophy. Either one can be included as program goals.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

onturk

Post by onturk » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:55 am

It says has it met the learning outcome and short term goal? I'm doing one plan for 2 weeks and at the end of each week I need to evaluate on 3 experience. For example say if I had a planting experience and my outcome is for children to demonstrate an increasing knowledge of, and respect for natural and constructed environments. My program goal is increasingly co-operate and work collaboratively with others. Would I just say the outcome and goals have been achieved, children have cooperated and worked collaboratively by watering each other's plants. They've demonstrated an increasing knowledge of respect for natural environments by planting their own plants and talking about what will happen if we don't water our plants. Also they showed what steps to take when planting.

This is just an example. Is that how I would evaluate? What if not all experiences showed that children worked together and the program goal hasn't been achieved? Like say if I had a painting experience and children have not met the broad goal, how would I say this in a evaluation?

onturk

Post by onturk » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:02 am

Also can I use the short term goal for my second plan because I do a plan for 2 weeks and another weekly plan?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:48 pm

Yes the example you had given is good!

When evaluating the goals and they have been achieved you need to detail how the children have achieved the goals. Your example does this. :thumbup: You're doing it right!

Yes you can use a short term goal for a second plan. Asking as the goal can be achieved in a short amount of time it doesn't matter whether you are using weekly or fortnightly plan...

L.A

onturk

Post by onturk » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:07 pm

Okay thank you so much and if it hasn't been achieved can I say that it hasn't been achieved and then I would have to write down how I can improve on it?

onturk

Post by onturk » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:40 am

Is that right??

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:00 am

Yes if the goal isn't achieved you need to continue with it until it has... You can do the same experience or choose a different one.

L.A

onturk

Post by onturk » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:41 am

Okay and say if I'm implementing an experience for a focus child, do I still write about the short term goal? My short term goal is for children to work cooperatively but one of the experiences is just for my focus child.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:01 am

The short term goal should be evaluated at the end of the programming cycle as part of your reflection. Say, if you are doing a weekly program at the end of the week you need to reflect on whether the short term goal was achieved or not and how it was achieved etc. For your focus child you should a separate goal (learning outcome) based on the expereince you are providing and what you want the child to achieve from the experience.

L.A