New Toddler Room Leader (2-3 Year Olds)

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
krystalxo

New Toddler Room Leader (2-3 Year Olds)

Post by krystalxo » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:19 am

Hi everyone,

So as of next year I will be taking on the role of roomleader in our cute (and crazy) 2-3 room and just wondering if there are any must read articles and tips I need to be aware of. Interested in your opinion about progressive meal-times and nappy changes. Does it work in your centre?

Thank you :)

Lorina

Re: New Toddler Room Leader (2-3 Year Olds)

Post by Lorina » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:49 pm

Hi Krystal,

Welcome to Aussie Childcare Network! :wave:

First off, the toddler room (2 - 3 years olds), in my opinion ids one of the hardest rooms to run. I spent almost 2 years as a room leader in the toddler room and you're in for a fast, action roller coaster ride! :lol: Even though, the children are just beautiful and melt your heart. You form such a strong bond with each and everyone of them they are just too cute to resist!

Alright back to your questions... toddlers will be toddlers they are defiant and independent and sometimes drive you crazy. They don't mean to be this way it is all part of their development however it's your responsibility to guide them. Saying No, Don't, Stop over and over doesn't help and how many times can you say it as well as the children listening to it.

You need to set up some clear easy to follow guidelines that the children understand so they know what is expected of them. It's a great idea to have a class discussion about this at group time. The older ones will be able to participate and the younger ones observe. For example "Sophie I liked the way you packed away the blocks when you finished, that lets us know that someone else can play what else do we do that helps out our friends in the room" then you can talk about putting books on shelves, walking inside, etc. You could also act it out. For example: if one of the behaviours was throwing toys on the floor, you can start playing with the toys then after a few seconds start throwing them everywhere and walk but to the group and say something like "is is safe to throw toys on the floor, why, what will happen" etc. Conversations like these will be grasped by the older toddlers and once they know what is acceptable and what is not then you will see an improvement.

Also, on shelves that have permanent activities such as puzzles, blocks, etc. take photos of these toys an stick these on the shelves that way the children know exactly what goes where during pack away! Give plenty of reminders for pack away as well. Sometimes toddlers are so engaged in what they are doing they wouldn't want to stop, so you could use a bell which you could ring 3 times then 2 times then 1 time (pack away time) to let the toddlers know it's nearly time for pack away!

You could also make colour rules (guidelines). Choose 5 rules one for each colour, display them on the floor on shelf for children to see along with a photo. These should be discussed regularly. For example :red rule - walking feet inside, blue - pack away toys etc. Children will begin to remind each other. Re-directing their behaviour is also helpful and it just quickly diffuses the situation and just move onto the next. Toddlers understand and pay attention to much more then they are believed, so having visual cues will really help.

Here are some helpful articles for some tips and suggestions:

Behaviour Management In Childcare
Group Time With Children

Hopefully this gives you a few starting points,

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:53 pm

There are also quite a few topics in our forum on working with the toddlers which may give you some great ideas as well:

Activities and Experiences For Toddlers
Toddler Room Blues
Engaging With Toddlers
Interactions With Toddlers

This should give you plenty to read before you start as the toddler room leader!

Let me know if you need further information,

Lorina

krystalxo

Post by krystalxo » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:51 pm

Thanks so much!
It is a little overwhelming isn't it?
And for the children who do not participate in group time, and for the children who have special needs of some sort do you offer them quiet activities on a separate mat? That's what we try to do currently - as much as we try to encourage them to join the group sometimes it just doesn't work lol

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:05 pm

It's good you're trying not to force group time upon them. I mean, if they don't want to be involved then that's their choice. During this time, you can set up a couple of quiet activities that they can do, while you do group time. So, maybe you can have a few puzzles and books. Have it set up near where you are doing group time so they can still "listen" to what is going on even though they may not want to be involved. You could also try and get them involved to make them want to be part of the group time. So, one of the children can choose a story which you can read during group time, another can help you set up by getting the calender ready (or what ever you use)... Maybe if they help they will want to be in group time themselves.

It's also good to plan for group time ahead... It's not just about reading a story and singing songs, it can be an opportunity to have group discussions, do science experiments, use your intentional teaching. I's a time where you can get together as a group and engage and interact with them...

Lorina