Best Group Time Stories For Preschoolers

Childcare room set-up ideas, strategies for teaching children, group times, Montessori teaching and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
EmCass

Best Group Time Stories For Preschoolers

Post by EmCass » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:43 pm

Can i please have your top 5 group time stories for 4 YEAR old group

and….

book about community, the world in which we live, different skin colours or families etc

THANK YOU

Lorina

Re: Best Group Time Stories For Preschoolers

Post by Lorina » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:10 pm

Go Away Big Green Monster - This is a deceptively simple book with a powerful message for a small child…YOU can tell the monsters to “GO AWAY!” As children read along, they build a monster with the die-cut pages and then send it away again, one scary part at a time. Love this creative way of making children feel powerful and encouraging them to say “No!” when they’re faced with things that scare them!

If You Give a Mouse A Cookie - This is a light-hearted and imaginative story about a bossy little mouse and his good-natured little boy host. Children find it funny simply because of the silly series of requests and how one thing leads to another…to another…to another. Adults find it funny for the same reason because of how much it reflects spending the day with a small child! (As a bonus, this book is a great lesson on sequencing. After reading it in storytime, ask your children what happened when the mouse got the cookie he asked for, then what happened when he got the glass of milk, etc.)

Peters Chair - Little Peter has a problem, and it’s sleeping in the next room! A baby sister has joined the family, and Peter doesn’t like it, not one little bit. And when his old cradle and crib get painted pink, Peter knows it’s time to take action. He takes his favorite chair (to protect it from being painted pink!) and his pet dog and sets off on his own, but on the way learns about growing up and the value of each and every family member. In this adorably illustrated book by the author of the Caldecott Medal winning book, The Snowy Day, children will find a kindred spirit in little Peter and enjoy watching him find his way back home again.

Ref: Preschool Books
Others include:

Where the Wild Things Are
One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Goodnight Gorilla
Horton Hears a Who
Green Eggs and Ham

For Books on Diversity:

Colours Of Us - Through a little girl's quest to paint a picture of herself, Lena and her mother take a walk through their neighborhood to understand that skin color comes in all sorts of shades. As Lena and her mother compare each person's skin color to food such as honey, cinnamon and more, diversity is put in a perspective even small children can grasp. The Colors of Us (Barnes & Noble, $8) by Karen Katz is terrific for children ages 4 and up.

Children Just Like Me - Based on interviews with youngsters from all around the world, this children's book celebrates the beauty of cultural diversity while linking the worldwide similarities children of all walks of life share. Filled with photos and information on children of every continent in more than 140 countries, young readers will learn the foods, living conditions and fun in communities that are more similar to their own than they may first think. Children Just Like Me: A Unique Celebration of Children Around the World (Amazon Prime, $15) by Anabel Kindersley and Barnabas Kindersley was created in collaboration with UNICEF and is ideal for kids grades 3-6.

The Sandwich Swap - When a small disagreement over a hummus sandwich causes two best friends to divide, the story spreads across the school and transforms into intolerance. In an effort to mend fences, the principal helps the girls to celebrate their differences while giving the student body a lesson in the beauty of cultural diversity. The Sandwich Swap (Amazon Prime, $11) by Queen Rania of Jordan Al Abdullah and Kelly DiPucchio is a wonderful choice for kids ages 3 and up.

Oni Good Hair Day - This multicultural series of books features kids of all different ethnicities who experience intolerance but grow thorough the discovery of their own customs, strengths and appreciation of others' differences. These affordable reads help promote tolerance and understanding of cultural diversity through situations with which kids can identify. The Alphabet Kids book series (AlphabetKids.com, $35 for the complete set) is geared toward kids ages 2-7.

Ref: Diversity Books

Hope this gives you a few options,

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:37 pm

I'm obsessed with Dr Seuss books at the moment and so is my daughter! They are so fantastic with the rhyming, repetition, theme and more! I have 14 at the moment and waiting to get my hands on more!

Just wanted to share!

:geek:,
Lorina

Nandy84
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nandy84 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:17 pm

Hello,

Some books on group time stories are

The Duckling Gets A Cookie by Mo Willems.
What Pet Should I Get? by Dr. Seuss.
Pete The Cat And His Four Groovy Buttons by Eric Litwin.
Mouse Shapes by Ellen Stoll Walsh.

And some books on diversity, please click the below link

https://reedsy.com/discovery/blog/child ... -diversity

Thanks

Nandita