Access To ECT 20% Of The Time In A Service

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
harshitha

Access To ECT 20% Of The Time In A Service

Post by harshitha » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:21 am

Hello Everyone,

According to the regulation ,a centre should have an access to ECT 20% of the time if service has a less than 25 children .Our service has 8 children every day with 2 staff members.Can someone please help me how to calculate 20% time.Is it less than quarterly we need to have an ECT every day ?how it's been divided.
Thanks

Lorina

Re: Access To ECT 20% Of The Time In A Service

Post by Lorina » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:06 pm

A couple of quick questions...

Are you working in an LDC (long day care) or FDC (family day care)?

What is the age range of the children in your care?

:geek:,
Lorina

harshitha

Post by harshitha » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:49 pm

Hi Lorina ,

I am working in a ldc .we have a mixed age group (0 to 5 years ) 8 children a day .

Thanks

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:44 pm

Like you mentioned in your post I found the above in the National Regulations:
130 Requirement for early childhood teacher—centre-based services—fewer than 25 approved places

(1) If the approved number of places for children preschool age or under at a centre-based service is fewer than 25, the service must have access to an early childhood teacher working with the service for at least 20 per cent of the time that the service provides education and care.

(2) To comply with subregulation (1), the early childhood teacher may be working with the service by means of information communication technology.

(3) For the purposes of this regulation the period that an early childhood teacher works with a centre-based service may be calculated on a quarterly basis.

I think it means that if you provide care for 50 hours during the week (10 hours each day if your centre is opened from 8am - 6pm), within a week the service must have access to an ECT for 10 hours during the week. In (3) it says that it can be calculated on a quarterly basis (every 3 months). So, working with 50 hours a week of care x 12 weeks (3 months), you need to have access to an ECT for 120 hours for those 3 months.

I hope this makes sense to you...

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:45 pm

I'm actually going to contact ACECQA just to confirm that the information I have given you above is correct...

Lorina

harshitha

Post by harshitha » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:56 pm

thanks Lorina.That would be great

harshitha

Post by harshitha » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:02 pm

we open from 8.30 to 5.00pm Monday to Friday .

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:05 am

Still haven't heard back... I'm just doing another follow up with them... I'm sorry it's taken this long!

Lorina

harshitha

Post by harshitha » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:03 pm

Hi Lorina,

Thank you for letting me know.No problem .Happy to wait .

Regards,
Harshitha.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:45 pm

Here is the response I just received from ACECQA:

As per regulation 130 of the Education and Care Services National Regulations, if the approved number of places for children preschool age or under at a centre-based service is fewer than 25, the service must have access to an early childhood teacher working with the service for at least 20 per cent of the time that the service provides education and care.
(2) To comply with subregulation (1), the early childhood teacher may be working with the service by means of information communication technology.
(3) For the purposes of this regulation the period that an early childhood teacher works with a centre-based service may be calculated on a quarterly basis.

Therefore, to implement this requirement within your service you should calculate the total amount of hours that your service educates and cares for children across a three month period. Twenty per cent of the total from this calculation is the amount of hours you are required to have access to an early childhood teacher (ECT).

For example, in a five week period, an ECT could work with the service for one day per week for five weeks, or for one whole week of the five. In both of these cases, the ECT would be working with the service for 20 per cent of the time.

The ECT may work with the service by means of information communication technology (i.e. digital communication, email, phone etc.). Therefore, while it may suit the functionality of your service, the ECT does not have to be on the service's premises.

I hope this helps answer your question!

Lorina

harshitha

Post by harshitha » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:19 pm

Hi Lorina,

Thank you so much for clarifying this.I really appreciate your time and effort in explaining this in detail .

Regards,
Harshitha.

MrsFort

Post by MrsFort » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:44 am

Hi Lorina
Can I please ask what exactly would an offsite ECT's role play? Would it mainly be programming if they are not on site in a teaching role, just curious to see if this is an avenue that may suit us in the future.
Thank you Callie

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:36 pm

MrsFort wrote:Hi Lorina
Can I please ask what exactly would an offsite ECT's role play? Would it mainly be programming if they are not on site in a teaching role, just curious to see if this is an avenue that may suit us in the future?
Thank you Callie
Hi Callie,

I will look into this for you to clarify, however, in my opinion, the offsite ECT would probably be an "advisor" to the educators working within the ECT room. In regards to programming, they can lead the program with the room educators by being in contact with them. The off-site ECT can go through documentation written by the educators (emailed), provide ideas on experiences to be followed up or extended upon, collaborate and plan with the educators in the room for teaching strategies and intentional teaching plans, support educators etc. So, I would assume that Off-site ECT will need to always be in contact (daily) with all the educators in the room and probably need to visit the centre often to work effectively with the team...

Hope this helps!

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:37 pm

MrsFort,

Once I find out more information I'll get back to you... I'll contact ACECQA to find out...

Lorina

MrsFort

Post by MrsFort » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:35 pm

Thank you so much Lorina, this is very helpful :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:11 pm

No worries!

Lorina