What brand of jackets do you buy your kids?

Parenting FAQs, parenting issues & concerns, dealing with behaviour problems, disciplining children, sleeping problems, teaching children, pregnancy and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Scottish Joan
Helper
Helper

What brand of jackets do you buy your kids?

Post by Scottish Joan » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:29 am

I usually go for Regatta or Northface for Rhona and due to her being fussy, she will only wear girly colours like purple, pink or red.

I am not one of these parents that will by sport name brands for her and tbh, she will not ask me because she is quite happy with her Regatta.

Also, she is fussy about it being full zip and warm, she will not wear half zip pull overs so I have a nightmare with her when looking for new jackets for her.

Also, a couple of questions.

1) Do you need to ask your children when they need to zip their jackets up, like I do with Rhona or do they automatically do it themselves without needing reminded.

2) As I said in a PM to a member, my view is that if Rhona needs a jacket on then it MUST be zipped up because her jacket has a zip for a reason, to be used so thats sometimes what I say to Rhona "Rhona please do as your told, your jacket has a zip for a reason so get it fastened". Do you agree with that statement?

Lorina

Re: What brand of jackets do you buy your kids?

Post by Lorina » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:03 am

I don't really go for brands but as long as it's girly and cute!

I know Rhona is 7 and my little one is only 2 but I always fasten up her jacket. Even if she wants it off I explain to her that it's cold outside, I don't want her to get sick and when we go inside she can take it off. She also sees that I also wear my jacket (zipped up) "mummy wear jacket, me wear jacket". So, at the moment we're okay for now...

:geek:,
Lorina

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:01 am

Hi, I don't go for brands either. Our winter wardrobe in Queensland is usually a singlet, jacket or jumper over our summer clothes and shoes. My sister in law has lived in London and she told me the coats you get there are completely different quality and fabric to here as it gets so cold there.
Linsaa fdc :wave:

Scottish Joan
Helper
Helper

Post by Scottish Joan » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:03 am

Lorina wrote:I don't really go for brands but as long as it's girly and cute!

I know Rhona is 7 and my little one is only 2 but I always fasten up her jacket. Even if she wants it off I explain to her that it's cold outside, I don't want her to get sick and when we go inside she can take it off. She also sees that I also wear my jacket (zipped up) "mummy wear jacket, me wear jacket". So, at the moment we're okay for now...

Lorina
It is slightly easier for anyone with children under 5 because the parent can just zip the jacket for the child and child will most likely accept it without complaing. With anyone over 5, they need to be asked to zip their jackets which can sometimes cause complaints from the child. With Rhona, I will ask no more than twice, if she doesn't answer then I zip it for her and say something like "Rhona, when I ask you to zip your jacket up thats what I expect you to do", she then complains that its zipped to high to which I reply "its cold so its getting zipped right up so leave it zipped that high".

Scottish Joan
Helper
Helper

Post by Scottish Joan » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:59 pm

Linsaa, do your kids zip their jackets up automatically or are they like Rhona and need to be asked when to zip up their jackets or, like me, do you have to do it for them because a) they can't or b) you ask them to do it themselves but they ignore you?

Everytime I am walking Rhona to School I am seeing kids younger than Rhona in sports brand jackets and am thinking "that must be expensive, kids that age don't need sporty jackets".

Anyway, I always make Rhona wear her School issued waterproof jacket to school, as do Caitlyn and Gabrielle's parents because we want to make use of the jacket issued by the school. Rhona is always saying to me "these boys should have their school jackets on like all the girls do", I fully agree with Rhona, the kids get hyper at times and may slip in mud whilst playing football which can get sport jacket dirty. Rhona, Caitlyn and Gabrielle are really bad for playing about on grass and getting mud all over their jackets which is why me and the girls parents will never let them go to school in their daily use jackets, in fact we have 3 of the school jackets so we can wash the dirty ones and girls can have a clean one (which never stays clean very long). What is it with kids and getting dirty....aargh lol?

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:48 am

The children I look after are from 12months-6 years old. The 6 year old will put a jacket on and zip it himself but I have to ask him because he is in a hurry to play outside. The 4+2 year olds I look after I have to do it for them because some of their zippers are hard. I am a firm believer in keeping their chest and back covered and warm. It is no where as cold as London but I still get the little ones to do it in this cooler weather. My own children when they were younger did it when they were asked because they knew if they didn't listen there would be consequences, and if I had to keep asking the same thing day after day the consequences got harder and longer and we didn't cave in. They soon realised that if they did what they were asked the first time they had more privileges and freedoms and they were not in trouble all the time. I have 4 children of my own and had the 4 in 6 years. 3 boys and a little girl last. My oldest was the one who challenged nearly every thing he was asked but because the younger ones saw him missing out on video games, computer and playing at the park with his friends they all did what they were asked the first time.They are all grown up and have children of their own.

Scottish Joan
Helper
Helper

Post by Scottish Joan » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:06 am

With Winter fast approaching, I think it's time to bump up this thread.

I am looking for comfortable/thick winter jackets for Rhona but am not sure what to get :-(.

The jacket that she likes is a school issued one which is too light for winter, I found that out last winter so school suffered that I get her a thicker one for this winter because Rhona kept complaining about being frozen last winter and that was even with the jacket fastened up.

Also a quick post about Rugby.

I am gutted/heartbroken that my home country (I am Scottish but live in London, moved there when I started secondary school) lost to Australia in the matter that they did, today that heartbreak turned to wild anger when the World Rugby admitted that referee was WRONG to award that last minute penalty to Australia. If the ref called it right on the day then Scotland would have WON 34-32 :'(.

Now, I am not against Australia and hope they go on and win rugby world cup, I get on well with members on here so am not going to fall out over something that referee got wrong!

Anyway, back on topic, any advice regarding winter jackets would be greatly appreciated ;-).

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:18 pm

Yes, the referee being wrong is like being kicked in the gut! I don't follow rugby but I can imagine how it must feel for you as a supporter!

I'm not sure either since I just buy whatever I think it's suitable at that time. Maybe you can take Rhona with you to the shops to try on some jackets?

Lorina

Scottish Joan
Helper
Helper

Post by Scottish Joan » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:32 pm

I managed to get a nice thick waterproof Regatta jacket for Rhona :-).

Here is a picture of it: http://www.regattaoutlet.co.uk/girls-wi ... mwine.html.

I saved £25 on this too because it was reduced from £50-£25 and Rhona is quite happy with it too because its quite "snug, comfortable and warm" plus is a "cool colour" and only has a zip.

Scottish Joan
Helper
Helper

Post by Scottish Joan » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:14 pm

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:51 pm

They do look warm and comfy! Love the bright pink colour! Wouldn't mind one for myself actually!!

Hope Rhona keeps warm!

Lorina

Scottish Joan
Helper
Helper

Post by Scottish Joan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:22 am

Yeah, Rhona loves the pink one too so I may have to get rid of the other one, her friend likes it so I might give off for free to her once I have spoken to her mum at school tomorrow because I don't want it hanging on a oeg in cloakroom doing nothing.

Scottish Joan
Helper
Helper

Post by Scottish Joan » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:18 pm

Well, Rhona picked a replacement jacket for the Regatta one that she didn't want, that one is now off to a charity shop so she has the pink Trespass one and this one in Lagoon. http://gooutdoors.co.uk/craghoppers-com ... et-p323158.

So she has a choice of 2 jackets for when we go to a fireworks display on Saturday night and I suspect she'll choose her new Lagoon one over the pink one :-).

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:19 am

She will definitely be warm and snug in either one!

Lorina