Rhona wants a mobile phone?

Parenting FAQs, parenting issues & concerns, dealing with behaviour problems, disciplining children, sleeping problems, teaching children, pregnancy and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Scottish Joan
Helper
Helper

Rhona wants a mobile phone?

Post by Scottish Joan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:07 pm

After School Rhona asked me if she can get a mobile phone and when I asked her, her reply was "my friends have one".

Rhona is only 7 (which most of you know anyway) but is very good at coming back inside when asked so I wouldn't need to call her in that regard plus her friends sometimes come round to play so likely wouldn't call her either but I did say to her "me and daddy will talk about this ok darling but I don't think you need one"

She is really bad at caring for her belongings, she throws all her clothes and dolls/toys on floor so her room is a mess. At School she has lost numerous hair bands and even lost pencils/rubbers and her lunchbox.

Another thing that she is wanting is a Facebook page but I turned that down which made her cry so, I sat her on my knee and calmly said "sweetheart, you are far to young for facebook, you never know who is on that plus your far to young, that is for grownups plus, theres an age limit for that.

Lorina

Re: Rhona wants a mobile phone?

Post by Lorina » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:54 am

Maybe you could help her "save" for one... Maybe you can use it as an incentive for the jacket issue you're having? She would probably use it more for probably taking photos and to play games then to actually get calls or ring someone. She could also use it for emergencies only. If you decide to get one don't spend too much money on it since it may get lost. Just a cheap one...very cheap will do!

You're right about Facebook! No child under 16 should really be on there. Anyone can find out information about you and you don't really know who anyone is... KEEP RHONA AWAY!

:geek:,
Lorina

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:55 am

Hi Scottish Joan,
That is a tough one. Personally I don't think children at that age need a phone. IF she was catching a bus and you wanted it for peace of mind that is another story. I know a family that bought one and the child could only call certain numbers that they program in. Once the kids start with phones and facebook they tend to spend less face to face time with family and friends. I'm sure others have different experiences, this is what I have experienced. Technology tends to disconnect kids, in my opinion.
Linsaa fdc :wave:

Scottish Joan
Helper
Helper

Post by Scottish Joan » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:43 am

Me and daddy have told Rhona that she cannot have a mobile or facebook but that caused a tantrum.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:15 am

Don't stress too much about the tantrum. She will get over it. Don't give in no matter how much she gets upset!

:geek:,
Lorina

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:20 am

One of my parents arrived the other day to drop off mister 4 year old. He is a beautiful little boy who never forgets his manners and always behaves but of course all children muck up for their parents. Dad was frustrated, I suggested to enjoy ever little moment and all the little problems which to dad seems like big problems, because it hasn't even begun yet.....wait till the teenage years. It never ends, one day its a phone the next day it is something else. Have a breather. You are doing good.

Linsaa fdc :thumbup: