Going back to work after baby

Parenting FAQs, parenting issues & concerns, dealing with behaviour problems, disciplining children, sleeping problems, teaching children, pregnancy and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
tiny_tots
Participator
Participator

Going back to work after baby

Post by tiny_tots » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:47 pm

Hi Ladies

I have a general question for all the working mummy's out there. I am due to go back to work in March after having our son in December and I'm just wondering how you all manage the whole home/work/mother/wife scenario. I used to be a team leader but I am going back as Director on a maternity contract and I am stressing a little bit that it may be just a little bit too much for me to handle. Anyone got any tips/hints/ideas for me to make the transition back to work easier.

Salise :)

KatG73

Re: Going back to work after baby

Post by KatG73 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:31 pm

Hi Salise, Congratulations!

I am a mum of 2 and when I went back to work after maternity leave, I found it very hard at the beginning. It was a lot harder with my first born. I was missing my baby too much, I was feeling guilty that I left my baby at home and I was worried all the time wondering if he was fine. My mum was taking care of my new born son at home and I used to call her a zillion times a day asking how he was. So dealing with the mixed emotions can be hard sometimes but its completely normal. I am sure all mums are expected to go through these emotions. This is what I did to cope up with my transition back to work after pregnancy:

1) Flexible hours: I arranged flexible hours and didnt start off as a full time so its a little bit easy.
2) Short Working Hours: I finish early and start late so I have time to do my motherly routines before and after work.
3) Speed Dial: I had my home number on speed dial so I can call everytime I get a quick break. :)

There is nothing more exciting than having a baby but at the same time its also hard when missing your baby. Only mothers can understand that. I wish you all the best and I am sure everything will go well for you. Good Luck, and let me know how it goes. Are you planning to take your baby boy with you to your centre?

- Kate.

tiny_tots
Participator
Participator

Post by tiny_tots » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:49 pm

Thank you Kate for the inspiration!! Yes he will be enrolled at mu centre so that will be a huge load off my mind!! I am going to ease my way back into work by using KIP days 2 days a week and then start back ftime in March. Unfortunately my fiance lost his job just after master was born so we sorta need the cash! I know my boss will support me but I'm one of these stubborn people who thinks they can balance everything....

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:50 am

Hi Salise,

I'm sorry to hear that your fiance lost his job! It must be hard for both of you, especially with a newborn. Baby's are expensive to look after... Nappies alone cost a fortune along with everything else they need.

Even though your newborn will be at the centre with you I think that it may be difficult to get back into work. I mean your little one is only 6 weeks old and you yourself haven't fully recovered from being pregnant and the whole labour process. What about the late nights you may be having, then having to get up early to go in to work, feeling tired...

I understand that you may have no other option but I think going back to work full time in March is just too soon. If you have a supportive director who is able to give you flexible hours, it should be alright, just try not to do too much all too soon!

If you can handle it then it's great!

:geek:,
L.A

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:11 pm

Congratulations tiny tots.

Easing back to work seems like the way to do it. But also like L.A said, getting back to work too soon might also be hard and also taking your child to your centre with you and exposing your little one to outside world when he's so young might be hard for him. But again, I've seen many mums do the same but I usually would recommended to wait until he's 6 months old before you take him outside. This is also to prevent him from becoming sick, tired, etc.. I know financial stress is a burden but have you considered centrelink support or other support? Even if it's not much it's better than nothing. i wish you all the best.

tiny_tots
Participator
Participator

Post by tiny_tots » Tue May 14, 2013 11:48 pm

Hi ladies

So just a bit of an update as to where I am at right now. So our son has been in child care now since he was 6 weeks old. He will be 21 weeks on Thursday and me myself I have been back at work fulltime since March. I stepped up into the Director position on the 01 April and I must say I havent found it really that hard because DS had only been coming to child care 2 days a week to give my fiance a break but but he is coming 4 days a week and the fiance is working nights. It is only day 2 of night work and already I am finding it hard managing everything on my own. He does get dinner done during the day so that is a huge help to me but to make matters worse I am on closes this week with my DS as we dont have enough Cert Sup's...another story!! Anyways, I while my fiance was home at night i found that i was getting a lot of my work done at home at night but now I am starting to fall behind with my requirements as i have to tend to DS and he isnt going to bed till about 9:30 making it really hard for me to get any work done.

We were originally recieving benefits from centrelink but because of the higher wage I have cancelled out my fiance for getting anything at all. All we get is $48 a fortnight for our son.

I just wanted to say that I have slotted back into fulltime work quite easily I think the hard part is going to be stepping back down to Group Leader once my director is back from Mat Leave in september.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat May 18, 2013 1:49 am

Hi Tiny Tots,

Thanks for updating us on your work situation! By the sounds of it, it sounds like you're handling going back to work very well. Since your son has been coming to care 4 days has his behavior, routine changed? Do you spend time with him while in care? Has he settled well into care? Night times are hard, especially if your son doesn't go to bed till quite late and you have other stuff to get done and then you have to get up and go to work in the morning!

I agree it's going to take adjusting to stepping down as director.... It's nice to have the responsibility, the higher wage, etc while being a director. Maybe you could be 2IC when your director gets back that way you still get that responsibility and experience... While being director do you feel staff have acted differently towards you?

Like all working mothers out there you are amazing for juggling work and family life together.... ATM I don't have to worry about working and all I have to do is care for my baby... Although I'm not in Australia right now so who knows what's going to happen once I get back...

Get a early nights rest,

:geek:,
L.A