Am I over-protective?

Parenting FAQs, parenting issues & concerns, dealing with behaviour problems, disciplining children, sleeping problems, teaching children, pregnancy and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Scottish Joan
Helper
Helper

Am I over-protective?

Post by Scottish Joan » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:20 am

I am currently on holiday with Rhona in far north of scotland where it has been a mixture of sunshine, rain and thunder/lightning.

We went a walk whilst it was dry but it started to rain after a plump of thunder so straight away I handed Rhona her jacket and asked her to put it on and fasten it but a member of public that was a teenager laughed at me saying "you are far to over protective", look at us, we are only in t-shirts.

I totally ignored that lads but it got me thinking if he had a point about being over protective. One day in wintertime when weather was bitterly cold and below freezing, I put a 3 in 1 jacket on Rhona and insisted that all layers were fastened, which I will be doing whilst here in Scotland when its thunder/lightning and torrential rain.

So, am I being over protective or just worrying too much about silly comments?

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Re: Am I over-protective?

Post by linsaa fdc » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:07 pm

It amazes how random people feel they have the right to poke their noses and comment when it has nothing to do with them. Rhona is your daughter, at the end of the day you are her parent, you will be the one who has to live with the decisions you make for your child not anyone else. You will also be the one up of a night time at her side if she is sick. Maybe you are a bit over protective, maybe not, its no ones business.
I was an over protective parent and I have no regrets over it, my children were always happy and safe. Be confident in your decisions and choices for your family.
Enjoy your time in Scotland, it looks like such a beautiful country by the pictures I have seen :wave:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:07 pm

I wouldn't worry about other peoples comments! You do what you feel is right. I'm sure it's alright for a teenager to be in a Tshirt in the cold compared to a 7 year old! Who knows they are probably sick in bed as we "read" LOL!

Hope you're having a fantastic time!!!

:geek:,
Lorina

Laiorwyn
Participator
Participator

Post by Laiorwyn » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:24 pm

You are her mum, you know her queues and what she is accustomed to. While they can say what they like, those people are responsible only for themselves, their own health and wellbeing, and can't know what it is to be concerned for another persons health in a foreign country, with pretty nasty weather (compared to 99% of Australia!)

Liz85

Post by Liz85 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:51 pm

I wouldn't listen to a teenager. What do they know?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:01 pm

Liz85 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:51 pm
I wouldn't listen to a teenager. What do they know?

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

I agree!!!

:geek:,
Lorina

Daniel-J

Post by Daniel-J » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:07 pm

Okay. Okay. Imagine what your life would be like if you always relied on outside comments? If your actions are appropriate and correct, what is the point of listening to such people?