Using Food For Activities For Children To Explore

Kids Activities, Art and Crafts, Cooking Ideas, Kids Songs and Games related discussions.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
SilviaSyd

Using Food For Activities For Children To Explore

Post by SilviaSyd » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:29 am

Yesterday in class we spoke about sustainability and food activities in childcare. So yeah I get why we can not use anymore coloured rice in the nursery for sensory play or why we should use morning and afternoon tea to make toddlers and preschoolers interact with and explore food before they eat it but, what about Goop, home made Play Dough or Paper Mache Glue? I mean they contain flour, food coloring, water and salt and for this reason some people in my class have pointed out that it's a waste of food. I can understand their point but yeah I was curious about other point of views.

How do people feel about that and what do you do in your childcare? Do you just use clay or kinetic/real sand for sensory play with babies and toddlers or supervised cooking experiences to teach measurement to preschoolers?

Thank so much in advace for sharing your opinion!
Last edited by Lorina on Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Re: Activities with food and sustainability

Post by linsaa fdc » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:40 pm

Hi SilviaSyd,
I make all my own goop and playdough. Yes it does have a few drops of colouring in it but it has to be much better than buying it from the shops. Yes it might be a waste of food if they look at it that way but its cheaper than buying it and safer if you have a little one that will sneak it into their mouths at every opportunity. I really do believe that sometimes things get out of hand with regs etc. If there is a little one with an intolerance to colour or a family that would prefer no colour then white or you can use brown onion peel to make a darkish yellow colour. Boil it in water first then use that water to add to the playdough or goop.
Linsaa fdc :wave:

SilviaSyd

Post by SilviaSyd » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:57 pm

Thank you so much for your tips!!! I love both goop and play dough and I'm more confident using them because they are safe with young children. Anyway, yesterday may teacher and my classmates seem having ethical issues in using them and many of my managers in the centre where I work are not that passionate about them. Do you know someone with the same concerns?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:28 pm

In the past there has been a discussion here on the forum on using foods for art experiences... You can read some views about it here:

Should Food Be Used In Art Experiences

Hope this gives you more ideas!

:geek:,
Lorina