[color=#FF0080]I was just looking through some paperwork from last year and happened to find this little science experiment...
What you need:
• Paper towels
• Blue food coloring
• 1/2 cup, measuring cup
• Small, clear plastic drinking bottle with screw lid
What to do:
1. Remove the top from the clear plastic bottle (keep the lid).
2. Pour out ½ cup vinegar into the measuring cup.
3. Add a couple of drops of the blue food colouring into the vinegar.
4. Place the funnel in the mouth of the bottle and pour the vinegar mixture into the bottle (holding the funnel and bottle with one hand and pouring the vinegar in with the other hand).
5. Swivel the bottle around a bit so that the blue food colouring mixes with the vinegar.
6. Pour out ½ cup oil into the measuring cup.
7. Place the funnel into the mouth of the bottle and pour the oil into the bottle (again, holding the funnel and bottle with one hand and pouring the oil in with the other hand).
8. Remove the funnel and screw the lid back onto the bottle (making sure that the lid is secured properly so that there is no leaking).
9. Shake the mixture and see what happens (the vinegar and oil mix together). Keep watching the mixture for a few minutes (the oil and vinegar will separate).
10. Take the lid off and tip the bottle to pour out a bit of the mixture into the sink. What happens? The oil comes out and the vinegar stays to the bottom of the bottle.
11. Place your index finger (pointer) over the top of the bottle and turn it upside down over the sink very slowly, keeping your finger in place.
12. Now uncover a bit of the opening of the lid and let a little bit of the solution drip out. What comes out this time? This time the vinegar drips out.
Have you noticed that the oil stayed on top of the vinegar in both experiments?
Hope you like it!