cooking experiences in childcare - sweets & savouries

Kids Activities, Art and Crafts, Cooking Ideas, Kids Songs and Games related discussions.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
rikkay85

cooking experiences in childcare - sweets & savouries

Post by rikkay85 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:53 pm

Hi guys I just wanted ideas from some cooking experiences. Now i'm not that good of a cook once me and c0 worker destroyed short bread

Lorina

Re: cooking experiences in childcare

Post by Lorina » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:22 pm

Hi Rikkay,

This is possibly the easiest recipe to use with the kids which doesn’t require much cooking at all.

Chocolate Bark

Ingredients:

• 375g packet NESTLÉ Milk Melts
• 1 cup crushed lollies (I used freckles and smarties)

Method:

Step 1: Line a baking tray with baking paper.

Step 2: Melt chocolate in the microwave uncovered on medium (50%) for 1 minute, stir and repeat until melted. Alternatively, use a double boiler on the stove.

Step 3: Mix half the crushed lollies into the melted chocolate. Spread chocolate mixture onto baking paper, sprinkle remaining lollies and allow to set.

Step 4: Break into pieces and serve.

I dont think you can go wrong in this...so hopefully this wont be destroyed like your short bread.. :lol:

:geek:,
L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:55 pm

Here is another recipe to try with the kids. Its called "Rocky road". Its a really nice sweet treat to have. I did with my kids at work last week and it really worked. They enjoyed it and it was simple and easy to do...Have a try and tell me how you went with it.... I found this recipe online and here it is:

These are the Ingredients you need:

• Melted butter, to grease
• 125g plain chocolate biscuits
• 60g unsalted butter, melted
• 1 x 375g pkt white chocolate melts
• 1 x 250g pkt mixed marshmallows, halved (see tip)
• 100g raspberry licorice, coarsely chopped (see tip)
• 15g (1/4 cup) flaked coconut
• 1 tbs flaked coconut, extra

Here is the Method:

1. Brush an 18 x 28cm (base measurement) slab pan with melted butter to grease. Line the base and 2 long sides with non-stick baking paper, allowing the sides to overhang.

2. Place the biscuits in the bowl of a food processor and process until finely crushed. Add the butter and process until well combined.

3. Spoon the biscuit mixture into the prepared pan. Use the back of a spoon to press the mixture firmly over the base. Place in the fridge to chill.

4. Meanwhile, place the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Melt in microwave on Medium/500watts/50%, stirring every minute, until the chocolate melts and is smooth.

5. Place the marshmallow, licorice and coconut in a bowl. Add the chocolate and stir until just combined. Use a spatula to spread the marshmallow mixture over the biscuit base. Sprinkle with extra coconut. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes or until firm. Cut into small squares to serve.

L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:08 pm

Hi Rikkay,

An update on the latest recipe that I tried with my group of kids... "Apricot Muesli Bars". This brought a lot of discussion with different dried fruits and how they become dry. So next week we are going to experiment and see if we can make up our own dried fruits. Although the only way I know that it may work is by leaving small pieces of fruit in the sun BUT the weather isn't great, but maybe we can do it in the oven???

Here's what you need:

3/4 cup chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup water
150 g butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 cups self raising flour
1 cup UNCLE TOBYS Traditional Oats
1 cup NESTLÉ White CHOC BITS

Here's what to do:

1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line an 18cm x 28cm baking tin with baking paper.

2. Place apricots and water in a saucepan, bring to the boil then simmer until liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and stir in butter and brown sugar. Cool slightly.

3. Sift flour into a bowl. Stir in apricot mixture, UNCLE TOBY'S Rolled Oats and NESTLÉ White CHOC BITS.

4. Press into prepared tin. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden.

5. Stand 10 minutes before cooling on a rack. When cold, cut into bars.

L.A

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Tue May 24, 2011 7:24 pm

Hi,

This week at my centre we are celebrating "Australia's Biggest Morning Tea" Each room has been asked to bake something for the morning tea. I thought I give lamingtons a try!!! Here's the recipe we used

Ingredients - 1 rectangular shaped sponge cake, 250g shredded coconut, 90g cocoa powder, 70g butter, chopped, 750g icing sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 210ml of boiling water,

We first cut the sponge cake into squares. Sift the icing sugar, cocoa powder into a heatproof bowl. Then add vanilla, butter and boiling water. Stir it until smooth. Dip each sponge square into above mixture and roll into coconut. Lastly place them on wire rack to set.

I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!! It's so simple :).

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:58 am

I made Lamingtons with my kids too ....kids loved it
ive made things like cornflake crunchies and sushi with my kids too !

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:16 pm

Jellied lamingtons are fun too

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:44 pm

A month ago we had a Mother’s Day morning tea at our centre. My group made Chocolate Caramel Slice. It turned out so yummy and it was pretty easy to make so thought I’d share it with you all!

Chocolate Caramel Slice

Ingredients:

Base:
• 1 cup plain flour, sifted
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
• 125g butter, melted

Filling:
• 400g can sweetened condensed milk
• 2 tablespoons golden syrup
• 60g butter, melted

Topping:
• 60g copha, chopped
• 125g cooking chocolate, chopped

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 3cm deep, 28 x 18cm (base) lamington pan.

2. Combine all base ingredients in a bowl. Mix well. Press into prepared lamington pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until light golden. Remove from oven. Cool.

3. Make filling: Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, whisking, for 8 minutes or until golden. Pour over cooked base. Bake for 12 minutes or until firm. Cool completely. Refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours, or until set. (With this step I didn’t heat all the combined ingredients, I just added the combined ingredients over the cooked base and baked it in the oven for the recommended time).

4. Make topping: Place copha and chocolate into a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until melted. Pour over caramel. Refrigerate to set. Cut into squares. Enjoy! (I just melted the copha and chocolate in the microwave. When you combined these two ingredients it hardens very quickly, so make sure you’re ready to pour it on top over the caramel).

Ref: taste.com.au

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:57 pm

What about mini pizzas! We use english muffin halves, spread tomato sauce on add ham and cheese and then grill. Easy. At the moment we are doing space as a theme so our pizzas are called moon pizzas, because the english muffings have 'craters' in them!
Cathie

Lorina

Re: cooking experiences in childcare - sweets & savouries

Post by Lorina » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:14 am

Choc Vanilla Cupcakes

125g unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup caster sugar
3 eggs
1/3 cup milk
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted
80g dark choc melts
pink sprinkles, to serve

Step 1
Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Line a 12-hole, 1/3 cup-capacity muffin pan with paper cases.

Step 2
Place butter, vanilla, sugar, eggs, milk and flour in a bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat on low speed until combined. Increase speed to high. Beat for 2 to 3 minutes or until pale.

Step 3
Spoon 1 1/2 tablespoons of mixture into each muffin hole. Add cocoa to remaining mixture. Stir to combine. Spoon cocoa mixture into muffin holes. Using a skewer, swirl mixtures together. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of 1 cake comes out clean. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Turn out on to a wire rack to cool.

Step 4
Place choc melts in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high (100%) for 30 seconds to 1 minute, stirring every minute with a metal spoon, or until smooth. Spoon 2 teaspoons of chocolate on each cake. Top with sprinkles. Stand at room temperature until set. Serve.

Ref: taste.com.au

L.A

Buttercup131313

Post by Buttercup131313 » Mon May 06, 2013 6:35 pm

this isn't much cooking but i'm pretty sure kids love jellies! i do it with my nieces at home :)

half a cup of chopped strawberries
gelatin powder, strawberry flavour

we just follow the instructions on the gelatin packet, and when the powder is completely melted, stir in the chopped strawberries and put them in molds. :)

we try it with different fruits and flavours... sometimes we get flavourless gelatin and use boiled fruit juice instead of water, that gives it a more natural flavour ^_^

Albien

Post by Albien » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:31 pm

Hi L.A
Yummy and tasty looking rocky road recipe and will certainly try your rocky road recipe as found all the ingredients in stock. Will share my reviews later with you. I will be kind if some one will share lemon tart recipe here. Thanks in advance for any input.

sophiebowaus

Post by sophiebowaus » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:20 am

My kids will surely love this. I tried doing chopped different colored gelatins, fresh fruits (mango)and fresh milk. Place it inside the freezer for a couple of hours. This will be like a cathedral jelly. Kids will like it too.

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:43 pm

sophiebowaus wrote:My kids will surely love this. I tried doing chopped different colored gelatins, fresh fruits (mango)and fresh milk. Place it inside the freezer for a couple of hours. This will be like a cathedral jelly. Kids will like it too.
Sounds yum! I'll try it with my group of children next week using flavoured jelly, fruits and frogs and raspberries lollies.

WendyPrzygoda

Post by WendyPrzygoda » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:47 pm

anybody tried the healthy version of snowcones? juiced fresh strawberries for red, oranges for yellow, and some carrots for orange. and dont forget the shaved ice!

ShanynEngwicht

Post by ShanynEngwicht » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:58 pm

i love the recipes and tips ladies! will definitely try this. my kids are picky eaters and feeding time is always a challenge.

kiaraharper

Post by kiaraharper » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:38 pm

Great recipes ladies! Trying these out on this weekend! My children would love it I feel!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:43 pm

kiaraharper wrote:Great recipes ladies! Trying these out on this weekend! My children would love it I feel!
:thumbup:

floosi

Post by floosi » Sun May 10, 2020 2:45 am

These are the Ingredients you need:

• Melted butter, to grease
• 125g plain chocolate biscuits
• 60g unsalted butter, melted
• 1 x 375g pkt white chocolate melts
• 1 x 250g pkt mixed marshmallows, halved (see tip)
• 100g raspberry licorice, coarsely chopped (see tip)
• 15g (1/4 cup) flaked coconut
• 1 tbs flaked coconut, extra

Nandy84
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nandy84 » Wed May 11, 2022 8:02 pm

Here is another recipe that may serve the purpose. It is called Biscuit cake. It is easy to make. Have ample nutrients and can keep the children of the centre engaged in a creative way.
Ingredients:
Marie Biscuit (Any biscuit)

5 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp butter
Dry fruits

Method:

Crush the Marie biscuits in a mixer and add the contents into a bowl
Add milk, sugar, and butter
Whisk all the contents properly
Pour the whisked mixture into a baking tray
Garnish it with almonds and nuts
Place the tray in the freezer for 25 minutes
Transfer the contents to the refrigerator section and let them cool.

After taking it out you can enjoy it with your children.
The recipe is child-centric and safe for children.

Thanks
Nandita