How to build resume

Feeling nervous about an interview? Wondering what questions you will get asked, writing a resume, what to wear? Share your thoughts or get advice before your interview.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
BreeStrahl

How to build resume

Post by BreeStrahl » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:59 pm

I'm looking for an internship and my adviser wants to start sending my resume out to potential employees. How to make my resume design outstanding? I see AmoLink recommends animated resume design for coming boss. This is a very special idea. I don't know whether I can use it. Which one should i choose? Modern creative resume design or traditional resume design? And would you like to share how to some resume design skills? Or you can recommend some free resume builder.

jessicataylor

Re: How to build resume

Post by jessicataylor » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:54 pm

It requires very basic information of yours, which is categorized in different lists.

AIM-
Personal details.
  • Name
    Address
    Marital status
Academic Info
10th year/ percentage of marks/subjects learned
12th year/ percentage of marks/subjects learned
Graduation details
Masters details
Professional details.
Experience in company
Salary

Signature

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:40 am

If you have MS Word you can use a template from there itself... However if not basically your resume will have different headings and then under those headings you write information about yourself and your work experience. So at the top you have your name, your contact details, email etc. Then you could probably have the following:

Qualifications - you could mention you are currently studying Diploma and include the year you started e.g. 2014 - Present. You could also add any other qualifications.

Work Experience - here you could add your previous job experiences starting from the most recent. Add your position, the name of the company the date you started and finished.

Skills and Interests - here you could mention any skills you have such as speaking, reading or writing in another language etc. This should only be brief and only put the ones that could benefit you for this position.

You should also write a cover letter. Keep it brief and write exactly what you're after so when a director reads over it they know what you're looking for. Write an introduction of yourself and in your case you're looking for work placement to complete your Diploma qualification. You can also include that you are eager to learn, be a supportive member to the team and interesting in learning further through hands on experience (something like that anyway).

Hope this gives you an idea to get started,

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:41 am

I noticed you added a post previously about an animated resume:

Creating A Resume

So, did this not work for you?

Lorina

jessicataylor

Post by jessicataylor » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:37 pm

Oh really do we have that concept of animated resume. I never searched it.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:00 am

jessicataylor wrote:Oh really do we have that concept of animated resume. I never searched it.

I have never heard of animated resume until a user mentioned it... I'm not too sure of how it works but it may make your resume stand out from the crowd...

Lorina

i*love*pugs

Post by i*love*pugs » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:56 am

I have never had any trouble gaining work. My Resume is no more than 2 pages long and is very clear and concise. I was told that people will not read a Resume that is too long. My header is my name, suburb, phone number and email address. I then list my work history (last 3 jobs only). The next section is my qualifications and certificates (usually in bullet form) . Then I have a very brief section "about me" which includes hobbies, interests, etc... The last section is my referees.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:26 pm

I think having referees are important because they can validate your work ethics since they had previously worked with you. However, if you don't have referees it can be very hard to actually get a job... It's also a good idea to create a work portfolio and add examples and samples of work you had done in the past. Such as photos of craft displays, an example of your daily journal, a sample of your programming etc. I know this works well in LDC but for babysitting a work portfolio may not be required...

Lorina