Scenario: Tom and Alice - Dad Smells Of Alcohol

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
SarahTA

Scenario: Tom and Alice - Dad Smells Of Alcohol

Post by SarahTA » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:00 pm

Hi All,

Any help would be really appreciated, I have to answer the below question for one of my assignments:

Tom and alice attend the centre three days a week. Mum enrolled both Tom and alice and only put her details on the enrolment form. Stated on the enrolment form in large writing instructions that the childrens father is not allowed to pick up the children from the centre. No custody documents were sighted or copied. On tuesday during indoor play a man turns up at the centre smelling of alcohol and appears to be in a rage. He walks right into the dolphin's room yelling "i've come to pick up my kids the bitch kidnapped them!!!"

Explain the steps you would take in this situation in a child care centre.

I know that the first step is to calm down the intoxicated person so the children don't get frightened, maybe try and lead him away from the children so he does not frighten them ?

Would my next step be to call the childs parents to come and collect them? call the police?

Lorina

Re: Scenario: Tom and Alice - Dad Smells Of Alcohol

Post by Lorina » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:35 pm

Yes, so you would get the Dad away from the group of children so, into the staff room or Directors office. Gather the children together and move them away from the scene. Call the police. Call the children's parents...

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:39 pm

I found this also:

If the person collecting the child appears to be intoxicated, or under the influence of drugs, and educators feel that the person is unfit to take responsibility for the child, the educators are to bring the matter to the person’s attention before releasing the child into their care. Wherever possible, such discussion is to take place without the child being present. Educators are to suggest that they contact another parent or Authorised Nominee from the enrolment form, inform them of the situation and request they collect the child as soon as possible. If the person refuses to allow the child to be collected by another Authorised Nominee, educators are to inform the police of the circumstances, the person’s name and vehicle registration number.

Ref: Centre Policy

Lorina

SarahTA

Post by SarahTA » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:04 pm

Thank you very much Lorina,

Will an incident like this need a mandatory report to child services as we are concerned for the welfare of both children? or once the police are called just the duty of care end with us as child care educators and start with the police ?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:22 pm

In my opinion, I don't think Children's Services need to be contacted because the father isn't in contact with the family anyway. However, the mother will need a court order refraining him from picking up the children because if he comes to pick up the children and there is no court order in place you legally cannot say no. Obviously, due to this scenario, it is because he was drunk but if he wasn't he will still be able to pick up the children because there is no court order preventing him from doing so. If he isn't on the authorization list to pick up the children he will not be able to either...

Lorina