Learning centre for children

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
maria83

Learning centre for children

Post by maria83 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:16 pm

Hello all,

I have come across this forum and found it quite useful to get help in regards to the assignment questions. I am stuck with the below questions at the moment:

1) Create a maths learning centre for toddlers (2-3 yrs) based on one of the foll concept:
- Matching:like to like, size to size, colour to colur
- Spatial relationship (body in space) - in/out, over/under, up/down

Plan 5 experiences around one of the above concept which is hands on and actively engage chidlren in exploration. Describe each experience and resources needed for them. Also identify learning outcomes for each experience.

2) Create a maths learning centre for Preschoolers(3-5 yrs) based on one of the foll concept:
- Patterns in the environment - this will allow exploration of repeat patterns, shapes , prediction patterns.
- Measurement and data collection (non standard units to measure and compare) - create graphs to recors measurements and to explore relationships. for e.g, eye, hair colour, favouraite foods, toys etc.

Plan 8 experiences around one of the above concept. Describe each experience and resources needed for them. Also identify learning outcomes for each experience.

Any help on the above 2 questions would be very much appreciated. I am really struggling to find clues to the above answers. :(

Thanks for your replies.

Cheers,
Maria

Lorina

Re: Learning centre for children

Post by Lorina » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:10 am

Hey Maria,
Create a maths learning centre for toddlers (2-3 years)

- Classify blocks by size

- Sort crayons, markers, and pencils into containers

- Compare sets using more and less

- Sorting buttons, keys, coins, pasta, cereal, fabric or paper scraps, marbles, balls, stamps, postcards, jar lids, leaves, shells, playing cards, etc. and explaining why

- Sorting zoo and farm animals for storage

- Going on a shape or color hunt around the indoor/outdoor environment.

- Give children a small card with a number on it. Put a large number card on the floor and ask children with the matching card number to hop, jump, etc., then place their small number card on top of the big one. Continue until everyone matches their numbers.

- Cut small matching squares out of different colors of construction paper. Place the squares in a paper bag and have each child draw out a square. Play music and let the children move around the room to find their "color partners" by matching up their colored squares. Then have them hold hands with their partners and circle around the room. After everyone has joined the circle, stop the music, collect the squares and start the game again.

Create a maths learning centre for Preschoolers(3-5 years)

-Look for patterns on leaves

-Working with simple patterns in their bead and block construction

-Building patterns with two colors of Unifix cubes or pattern blocks

-Constructing a pattern with two colors of napkins at snack time

-Clapping the rhythms of their name

-Coloring every second or fifth or tenth day on a calendar of days in school

-Exploring patterns in wallpaper

-Create patterns using sponge printing, collage materials, geometric shapes or wrapping or wall paper

When trying to figure out the learning outcomes for the Math Experiences you choose the best way to do it is to refer to the the EYLF Learning Outcomes. Have a read through each of the Learning Outcomes and match them up to the experiences. Click here to view EYLF Learning Outcomes.

Hopefully this should get you started,

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:20 am

Again sorry as most of the things I suggest are Montessori but in Montessori we have very specific things we do for maths, language, sensorial, culture development etc
If you do a search for montessori maths materials and the presentations you may find it very useful
http://www.infomontessori.com/mathemati ... r-rods.htm
these rods are for 1 - 10 but with small kids u can begin with just the 1 2 3
size, colour etc is more sensorial in the Montessori system
http://www.infomontessori.com/sensorial ... ablets.htm
Again for young children u would do just colour box 1

I find Montessori good as it gives a step by step way of how to present materials to children and u can see the results of the learning pretty quickly

Again u do not have to have the proper materials u can take the concept and make something yourself

Dont know if this helps but thought would put it out there

maria83

Post by maria83 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:25 pm

Thank you all for your great comments. That gives me enough clues to plan some experiences around this questions.

I would also like to get some hints for the following question:

3) Create a Science learning centre for Preschoolers(3-5 yrs) based on one of the foll concept:
- Things that fly - exploration of wide range of birds, bugs and their habitat
- Earth and Environment - rain, clouds, shadows

Plan 5 experiences around one of the above concept which is hands on and actively engage chidlren in exploration. Describe each experience and resources needed for them. Also identify learning outcomes for each experience.

Thanks once again for all your help. I am planning to finish this in the weekend. Have a good weekend all.

Cheers, Maria

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:34 pm

Hey Maria,

I apologize for replying to your question a little late but I was just wondering do you still need ideas for the science learning centre? I do have a few science experiments that you could use however I'll only be able to post it up over this weekend if you still need them...

Let me know,

L.A

maria83

Post by maria83 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:24 pm

Thank you L.A and fefe. I have completed this one by getting some ideas based on previous responses.

You are all of great help. Lots of love to all.

Cheers, Maria

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:51 am

Thanks Maria, no worries... happy to help :thumbup: !

L.A

JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JNP » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:09 pm

CHCFC505A
Hi everyone, I am new to this and would really appreciate any help you can give me RE: Create a science Learning Centre based on things that fly bugs, birds, bats... Im not really sure what is meant by a learning centre. Is it a table set up? Can someone please give me some ideas. Thanks

JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JNP » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:54 pm

Hi Maria,
Are you able to help me with ideas for the science learning centre, things that fly. Any ideas or help you can give is greatly appreciated..

Thank you so much. I am stressing..

saraaa

Post by saraaa » Fri May 05, 2017 8:11 pm

Hi all
I have found this website . http://www.pre-kpages.com/math-center/
It has helped me a lot for getting an idea about maths learning center.
Cheers
Sara

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon May 08, 2017 3:33 pm

saraaa wrote:Hi all
I have found this website . http://www.pre-kpages.com/math-center/
It has helped me a lot for getting an idea about maths learning center.
Cheers
Sara

Thanks Sara for sharing!

:geek:,
Lorina