Follow Up Interest In Big School - Work Placement

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
WarblerOn
Helper
Helper

Follow Up Interest In Big School - Work Placement

Post by WarblerOn » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:34 pm

Hey guys
I've noticed quite a bit of interest amongst the preschoolers topic in my workplacement about BigSchool and mostly in their play too
I was thinking of following up on this and having the children build their own school like setting in the centre. The children are mostly 4 years and 11 months, or 5 months, etc...
What age do they usually start big school? Is it 5 or 6? i know a lot of centres prepare them in the older 3-5 room so I'm not certain when they start.
Last edited by Lorina on Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading edited

Lorina

Re: Follow Up Interest In Big School - Work Placement

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:26 am

I think it depends on the state but usually a child has to be enrolled in a school by the time they turn 6, to start Kindy. It's fairly typical for preschoolers to begin showing an interest for big school, especially those moving on next year. It's a very exciting time for them. Setting up a school setting is a good idea. You could have a big chalkboard with a long desk in front (as the teachers desk) then you can get a big mat in front of the desk for children to sit on. If the children eat at the centre you could probably put their morning and afternoon tea in paper bags for them to unpack or even ask the parents to bring in a lunchbox for their child. Then you could add the meals to the lunch box which they have to open at meal times...

Hope this gives you a few more ideas,

:geek:,
Lorina

WarblerOn
Helper
Helper

Re: Follow Up Interest In Big School - Work Placement

Post by WarblerOn » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:47 pm

That's a good idea thank you, that is helpful, I'll spend more time with them and see if the topic continues to be an interest :)