CHCDIV001 - Scenario: Folami and Amaka

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
jazzybec

CHCDIV001 - Scenario: Folami and Amaka

Post by jazzybec » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:40 pm

Rather then completing role Play I have been asked to write out my responses to the following scenarios. Any help or extra information would be greatly appreciated
TIA

You are to assume the role of Lead Ed of the 3 year old group. Key points to be demonstrated are:
1. Introduction as the lead educator for the group (3 year olds)
2. Ability to demonstrate a basic understanding of the culture
3. Show around the work area and discuss routines relevant for the group
4. Use of appropriate verbal and non-verbal communication
5. Ability to identify anti misunderstandings and utilise appropriate responses

Role Play 1
Folami and Amaka along with their two children Ekua aged 6 and Mosi aged 3 immigrated to Australia 12 months ago as refugees. They live in community housing in the local area.
They work with a case manager from the cultural community centre to advise the Folami and Amaka will be coming to visit your centre with the expectation of Mosi being placed. They require placement for 3 days a week so that Amaka is able to work.
The case manager has highlighted the following points:
-Folami and Amaka feel uncomfortable about having to place their child in care as they have no extended family to assist them.
-Folami and Amaka also want Mosi to be exposed to Australian culture yet still want the exposure to their African culture.
-Mosi has allergies to Peanuts and requires an Epipen if he has anything with nuts. He is an extremely shy individual with limited understanding of English and has challenges mixing with other people/children.
-The case manager has also highlighted that for Folami and Amaka English is a second language and relies on their 6 year old (Ekua) to translate at times. Ekua will not be with them for the visit.
Today is the visit to the centre. Folami and Amaka want to look around the Centre and discuss what is needed for their child to be enrolled.
You are the educator today looking after the area that Mosi would be allocated to. You will be showing Folami and Amaka around the room and discussing some of the routines.
Folami and Amaka will discuss the requirements for enrolment with the Centre Director. You introduce Folami and Amaka to the Centre Director.

ANSWER
I would start off by introducing myself to Folami and Amaka by speaking slowly and clearly and using hand gestures “Hello I’m Jasmine, I will be working in the room with Mosi, let me show you around the room”
I would then lead the parents around the room pointing out key things such as bag lockers bathroom, the menu (As we discuss the menu I would mention that we are an ‘Allergy Aware Centre’ and that none of our food contains nuts. I would also explain the allergy action plan that they will be required to fill out upon enrolment as a precaution) play spaces, outdoor play area. As I am showing them around these things I would try to explain about the daily routine “we play outside in the mornings, then come inside for morning tea, then we play inside and do activities such as painting, we have lunch around 1130 then the children all have a sleep” I would pause in between each step in the routine to give Folami and Amaka time to absorb what I am saying and to ask questions if they have any.
Before the end of the tour I would make time to ask if there is any cultural requirements that they may have for Mosi while in care.
As the tour concludes I would lead the parents to the front desk and introduce them to the director so that they can complete all the necessary forms for enrolment.

Lorina

Re: CHCDIV001 - Scenario: Folami and Amaka

Post by Lorina » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:28 am

Ok so it's a good start! I would just pay attention to the points of the case worker:
Folami and Amaka also want Mosi to be exposed to Australian culture yet still want the exposure to their African culture.

So maybe include in your conversation with the family about wanting to know more about African culture and how you can include it within the room for their child to continue to be exposed to it as well as Australian culture.
jazzybec wrote:QR_BBPOST The case manager has also highlighted that for Folami and Amaka English is a second language and relies on their 6 year old (Ekua) to translate at times. Ekua will not be with them for the visit.

Organise for an interpreter to assist in the language barrier. This will really support parents to understand the centre and the days programming. Also, make sure to show plenty of visuals/photos to the family within the room such as children doing activities, room routine etc.

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina