Tom - Inclusion

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Lillypad88
Helper
Helper

Tom - Inclusion

Post by Lillypad88 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:40 am

Scenario:
Part A - Tom
Tom (4 years) suffered a brain injury at birth. He has a developmental age of around 2 years, walks with an unusual gait and uses gestures and loud noises to communicate. Tom is not yet toilet trained and needs adult support with other self-help skills.
Tom loves to play with wheel toys and enjoys any types of sensory experience, particularly finger painting, wet sand and water play.
Tom is new to the service and the preschool. Children have been curious about him, asking Cara, the educator, a range of questions:
• Why does he walk funny?
• Why can’t he talk?
• Why does he make those noises?
Part B - Tom - Block Play
Two children approach the educator and say “Can you take Tom away from the blocks ‘cause he doesn’t know how to build and he just knocks them down and we’re building a car park.”
Question:
Q4(A) What should you consider before responding to this question?
Answer:
I would consider Tom may not know how to build with blocks due to his disability. If he is annoying the other boys I would observe and remove him from this activity.
But was told "your response does not reflect the principals of inclusion. For this question you need to identify the questions you should ask yoruself before making any decision."

Q4(B)How would you respond?
Answer:
I would respond by saying let's build the car park together, come on Tom can you help me please?
If after observing Tom is annoying the other children and preventing them from building a car park I would remove him from the blocks and direct him to another activity he would enjoy better, such as finger painting
But was told "Working alongside Tom is a good start, however in both your answers so far you are suggesting moving Tom away. This does not demonstrate respect for Tom's wishes and/or promote his capability as a 4 year old. Please look at your answer for Q4 (A) and think about wheather you are applying these ideas effectively?"

Any help would be very much appreciated?
Lillian :)

Trax

Re: Tom - Inclusion

Post by Trax » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:12 pm

ask the children if they can help tom understand how to build and can they build something that they can knock down after they finish. State to the it doesn't have to be the car park. Taking Tom away will give him the sense of isolation and may not try building blocks or loose interest in this activity. Tom Has great use of his gross motor skills and he maybe using these skills to communicate frustration towards the other children not wanting him to participate. Guide all children in working together. This is what i would write. Ian a student as well.

Lorina

Re: Tom - Inclusion

Post by Lorina » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:31 pm

Trax wrote:ask the children if they can help tom understand how to build and can they build something that they can knock down after they finish. State to the it doesn't have to be the car park. Taking Tom away will give him the sense of isolation and may not try building blocks or loose interest in this activity. Tom Has great use of his gross motor skills and he maybe using these skills to communicate frustration towards the other children not wanting him to participate. Guide all children in working together. This is what i would write. Ian a student as well.
Thanks for your input!

:geek:,
Lorina