Scenario: Parent Feeling Shrugged Off

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
chloe2812

Scenario: Parent Feeling Shrugged Off

Post by chloe2812 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:52 pm

Hey, i've finished my last assignment and now i'm onto the case studies i'm a bit stuck as to where to get the relevant information from (like what frameworks etc) Case study is:
Scenario:
At a staff meeting in a child care centre, a staff member makes the comment, “It would be much easier for us if we worked with the children and didn’t have to think about their parents.” Several other staff members laugh at this comment and say they agree with him. No one challenges this opinion. This comment came after a parent made a complaint that her request for her daughter to participate in a certain type of learning activity wasn’t met. The parent felt the request was “shrugged off”.

Requirement: Draft a response of what type of issue we are dealing with. What are some methods to ensure a parent doesn’t feel this way again?
Specifically you need to identify:
Identify a potential work practice improvement to enhance workplace responsiveness or to prevent such issues arising again.
The response should not be more than 250 words in length and should emphasise how the... i have no idea what the rest of that sentence is as it was sent to me like that.

chloe2812

Re: Case study one

Post by chloe2812 » Sat May 06, 2017 9:36 pm

So far i have came up with this i'm unsure if i'm on the right track if anyone could let me know that would be great :)

The issue in this scenario is an Ethical issue with parental requests and staff actions, In this example, the staff member expresses his frustration with the need to work with parents. This suggests that he holds particular values or beliefs about parents which seem to conflict with the rights of families to work in partnership with the professionals who care for and educate their children. The agreement by some staff and the silence of others also reveal value positions in action,

I would ensure a parent does not feel this way again by ensuring all staff have a respectful collaborate partnership with families that are developed and maintained, I would also confront the educators in a non confronting way before speaking to the director

Work practice improvement I would ensure that staff will become more familiar with the National Quality Frameworks. During staff meetings a quality area will be discussed with all educators and how the service can improve.

Lorina

Re: Scenario: Parent Feeling Shrugged Off

Post by Lorina » Mon May 08, 2017 4:35 pm

Yes, you're on the right track however you need to identify the workplace improvement... so you mentioned that staff have a respectful collaborative partnership with families that are developed and maintained but how would you go about doing this? Can you provide an example? For example - building relationships between staff and families by setting up a staff and parent meet and greet etc.

What you added is good but you need to provide a specific improvement...

:geek:,
Lorina

chloe2812

Post by chloe2812 » Thu May 11, 2017 5:04 pm

thank you so much i appreciate your reply :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon May 15, 2017 4:06 am

You're welcome! :thumbup:

:geek:,
Lorina