Scenario: Corrine, Mason and Hayley - Playing Doctors

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
muskaan

Scenario: Corrine, Mason and Hayley - Playing Doctors

Post by muskaan » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:50 am

Corrine stated ‘Yes. That is a good idea – which way do I go to get to the Doctor?’ Harley pointed to a chair which she then sat on. Mason (aged 3) stood by and observed for a few seconds before grabbinga pretend medicine bottle (a salt shaker). He then placed it up to her mouth. Mason praised Corrine when she pretended to drink it. 'Good boy' Mason said and repeated this action a few more times before giving Corrine a great big smile.
'I got a sore eye' Harley said and sat down next to Corrine. Corrine showed concern on her face and responded by saying ‘so, you have a sore eye – how did that happen?’ He smiled and explained to her that a butterfly flew into his eye last week. Corrine responded ‘Oh dear – a butterfly flew into your eye and now it is sore. I am glad you have come to the Doctors then.’ Harley nodded. Barry (aged 2 years 5 months) came over rubbing his tummy and joined the patient area.
Doctor Hugo (aged 3 years) was busy assessing everyone; he informed Corrine that she was able to go home and advised her that he had called an ambulance for Barry. He then stated ‘I have been in an ambulance. It took me to hospital.’

Complete the following:
1. Identify where in the case study you notice the following things. Identify at least one example for each point.
a) When does Corrine use nonverbal (body) language to show Harley she is listening?
b) When does Barry use nonverbal (body) language to show he is unwell as part of his play?
c) When does Corrine use active listening?
d) When does Corrine use an open-ended question?
e) When does Corrine involve Harley in decision making and planning?
2. Hugo shares a personal story with Corrine. Write a sentence that you could use to start a conversation with Hugo about this.
3. Describe how you do, or would participate in children’s play. In your answer identify what should be considered before educators’ join in children’s games and play, and whilst they are a play partner.

please help...

Lorina

Re: Scenario: Corrine, Mason and Hayley - Playing Doctors

Post by Lorina » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:23 pm

The information you need is in the scenario itself...

You need to provide a response so I can help you...

:geek:,
Lorina

gagbt

Post by gagbt » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:20 pm

I ned help to answer 1. e)
When does Corrine involve Harley in decision making and planning?

Please help

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:02 pm

Corrine stated ‘Yes. That is a good idea – which way do I go to get to the Doctor?’ Harley pointed to a chair which she then sat on.
I got a sore eye' Harley said and sat down next to Corrine. Corrine showed concern on her face and responded by saying ‘so, you have a sore eye – how did that happen?’ He smiled and explained to her that a butterfly flew into his eye last week.

Lorina

gagbt

Post by gagbt » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:26 pm

thanks!

muskaan

Post by muskaan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:07 pm

my ans so far :
a) When does Corrine use nonverbal (body) language to show Harley she is listening?
When Corrine shows her concern on face :'I got a sore eye' Harley said and sat down next to Corrine. Corrine showed concern on her face
b) When does Barry use nonverbal (body) language to show he is unwell as part of his play?
came over rubbing his tummy and joined the patient area this is when he uses a body language to show he is unwell.
c) When does Corrine use active listening?
When Corrine responded to Harley that ‘Oh dear – a butterfly flew into your eye and now it is sore, this when she uses the same words as Harley told her and this is active listening.
d) When does Corrine use an open-ended question?
Corrine showed concern on her face and responded by saying ‘so, you have a sore eye – how did that happen?’ this is open –ended question.
e) When does Corrine involve Harley in decision making and planning?
Corrine stated ‘Yes. That is a good idea – which way do I go to get to the Doctor?

ans2) I would start conversation with Hugo by showing concerned on my face and asking him that “Hugo tell me more about it or why he been in ambulance?”
ans 3)As educator my role to provide children with the support, props, time, and space to develop their play. This role involves many dimensions such as when to intervene and when to stand back.
Being an educator I need to takes time to observe, consult, plan, and participate in play.
I need to plan carefully for the children’s play things like outcome of play, what they will learn from it and also to remember when to guide them and not take decision for them.. as educator I should encourage them to take decision.
I must not take over the children’s play because it may disrupts the play.
Providing opportunities for children to choose among well-planned, varied learning activities enhances the probability that they will learn through play
(Morrison, 2000; Zigler, Singer,&Bishop- Josef, 2004).

any suggestion would be great..
Thanks

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:30 pm

Good responses! :thumbup:

Lorina