Scenario: Alice - Calling In Sick After BF Party

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
onyx9eyes

Scenario: Alice - Calling In Sick After BF Party

Post by onyx9eyes » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:46 am

Hi everyone on this forum,
I've just registered myself to this great site. My today's question is about a following scenario.

"Alice (20 yrs) rang and left an early morning message for the manager saying she would not be in today as she was sick. they service staff policy requires staff to speak directly to the manager. the manager knew that Alice had attended a 21st birthday dinner for her boyfriend the previous night.

a) The following day the manager arrives to speak to Alice. What should the manager say to Alice to remind her of the importance of acting with integrity?
b) What would you do if you were the manager in this situation to mentor Alice to reflect on her role within the organisation?

Alice, I understand that you had a busy and fun night yesterday and that you couldnt speak to me directly. However, Its a duty of care of an employee as well as the policy of the service to advise the manager beforehand.
That's all I've come up with the first one so far.
Any help would be highly appreciated.
Last edited by Lorina on Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Scenario: Alice - Calling In Sick After BF Party

Post by Lorina » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:54 am

Hi,

Welcome to Aussie Childcare Network! :wave:

That's a great start!

The manager could also tell Alice that she should be honest and was not "sick" to take the day off. Instead Alice could of organised in advance to have the day off instead. Alice should also understand she has a responsibility to work ethically by being apart of the team and being responsible for her actions. She shouldn't take this opportunity for granted and she needs to improve her attitude.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

Jean1112

Post by Jean1112 » Mon May 30, 2016 11:54 pm

Hi Lorina,
what about this question?
b) What would you do if you were the manager in this situation to mentor Alice to reflect on her role within the organisation?

tehmina50

Post by tehmina50 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:51 pm

Jean1112 wrote:Hi Lorina,
what about this question?
the answer to b is- Build collaborative relationships based on trust, respect and honesty.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:10 am

Thanks for your help!

:geek:,
Lorina