Research an aspect of brain development (Foster Development FC505 RS 002)

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
~Suzie~

Research an aspect of brain development (Foster Development FC505 RS 002)

Post by ~Suzie~ » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:50 pm

If anyone can help me I would appreciate it.

The learning task is this:
"In recent years research into brain development has made a significant contribution to our understanding of child development and the critical influence of family, cultural and environmental factors on the developing child.
Select and research an aspect of brain development. Explain how this research can be applied by early childhood practitioners in their work with young children.
Present your research in the form of a series of A4 fact sheets that could be used by your colleagues for the purposes of professional development."

I have no problem with putting it all together, once I understand what exactly is meant by "an aspect of brain development".
Could anyone give me examples of what "aspects" of brain development there are? Does it mean physical aspects, or the kinds of things learnt by the brain (memory, sorting, etc) ?? The question just isn't clear to me.

Thank you, Suzie

kessie

Re: Research an aspect of brain development (Foster Development FC505 RS 002)

Post by kessie » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:24 pm

Hi Suzie,

I would assume they are wanting you to research a brain development aspect such as emotional, social or cognitive development. If you choose cognitive, for example, you could discuss Piagets theories of cognitive development and also "nature versus nurture".

As a professional development task, as well as the facts, you could discuss ways to enhance cognitve development within your group of children. Discuss how we develop children cognitively as we read to them, teach them songs, let them play etc...

I think this is the kind of answer they are looking for - would anyone else agree?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:17 am

Hi Suzie,

I agree with what Kessie said... :thumbup:

Have a look at Children's Stages of Development under Resources (on this site) which may help with the fact sheets you need to provide. Here is the link: "Children's Stages of Development"

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

~Suzie~

Post by ~Suzie~ » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:23 pm

Thanks for your posts Kessie and LA.

I ended up googling brain development and became very fascinated by neurons and the way they form connections to each other after a child is born. So this is what I wrote my fact sheets about.

DId you know that most of brain development occurs AFTER birth, and that the way connections are made between neurons (how the child's brain ends up being "wired") is absolutely dependent upon the child's environment and how well they are able to form attachments, how well they are loved, cared for and supported, and how stimulating their environment is.

And that the most rapid period of growth occurs in the first 3 years of life, and forms the foundation for success (or not) in life.

If you think about this, it has huge implications for child care. What a responsibility we have to these little people in our care. We are shaping their brains (literally!).

Suzie