Reflective Practice

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
vani75

Reflective Practice

Post by vani75 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:16 am

Hi, can anyone tell me if the below answers of mine are correct and if I am on the right track....Thanks.

Q1. Write a reflection on your own work practices with regards to how you have or how you would apply the EYLF—what method/s did you use to reflect?[/b]

Ans - Jack, a toddler at the early childhood setting was constantly pushing other children while playing outdoors. I was observing him for quite some time and also telling him not to push other children as it might hurt them. But he was continuing with his act. So, I had to take him out of the play and engage him in reading activity. But he did not stop. He started ruining the books.

I discussed about his behaviour with other educator and observed him well, and trying to understand why he is doing all this. I then noted this behaviour of his in his daily diary. At the same I worked upon as to how to carefully handle him. I then talked to him in person and understood why he is doing. He told me that he is not feeling connected with other children and feeling of being left out. I then took special care to make him comfortable with other children and also to the extent that he enjoys playing with them. I also discussed his day with his parent in the evening so that we collaboratively bring changes in Jack.

Q2. Next, set up a meeting with your supervisor and discuss your reflection, asking for feedback. If you don’t have a supervisor, ask your Trainer/ Assessor for feedback about your reflection.

Ans - I had set up a meeting with my supervisor to discuss Jack’ issue. I had put before her my observations about Jack as to how he was pushing and not being gentle with other children. And later ruining the books when his activity was changed because of his bad behaviour.

I also discussed what actions I took on this issue by changing his activity and later speaking to him about his behaviour and encouraged him to play safely and be gentle to his friends at the setting. I also discussed with the supervisor how I noted my observations in the diary and in the evening spoke to Jack’s parent so that we both can try and bring out a change in his behaviour with love and care.

Q3. Then, summarise the meeting.
Your Trainer/ Assessor will provide you with a Demonstration or Observation Checklist and you will need to document what you did to complete this activity, the outcome of your meeting and any suggestions for improvement.

Ans - The meeting with the supervisor was very informative as it gave me a clear understanding of how to handle the matter in a more responsive way. The supervisor gave a checklist to me on the said matter which helped me put down my comments.

 Description - What happened? – Jack was pushing other children while playing. I told him not to push and be gentle with other children as it might hurt them, but he was continuing to do so.
 Feelings - What did you think and feel about it? – I felt that Jack’s behaviour is not good and it might cause hurt to other children.
 Evaluation - What were the positives and negatives? – I did not see anything positive in this behaviour of Jack. However, there was only negative side of it as other children were feeling uncomfortable while playing.
 Analysis - What sense can you make of it? – I could make out that Jack was not happy playing outside and he wanted some other activity.
 Conclusion - What else could you have done? – I could have changed the game the children were playing presuming that Jack might like the new game and will involve himself with other children and play joyfully.
 Action Plan - What will you do next time? – I will try to involve the child in another play activity and also speak to him as to why he is not liking it and what changes he wish to have in the play so that he joyfully plays with other children.

The meeting ended on a positive note with the supervisor explaining me how can I deal with the situation in a more responsive way. How I can get more involved with the child so that he openly discusses things that he doesn’t like.

Lorina

Re: Reflective Practice

Post by Lorina » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:01 pm

Yes, you're on the right track. I just think you need to provide examples such as what feedback your assessor gave you during the meeting and how you told to handle the issue in a more responsive way...

:geek:,
Lorina

vani75

Re: Reflective Practice

Post by vani75 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:17 am

Thanks Lorina....Will incorporate your guidance in my answer.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Vani