PEDAGOGY

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Melissaanne1993

PEDAGOGY

Post by Melissaanne1993 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:41 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCPR510B design,implement and evaluate programs and care routines for children
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? Yes
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge

Your Question?
Describe The Pedagogical Practices That Typically Occur In An Early Childhood Setting

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
Hi i have a section on my assignment about pedagogy ive answered what it is and what it means but i don't quite get the next part

Description and Message:
Hi i have a section on my assignment about pedagogy ive answered what it is and what it means but i don't quite get this part:
Describe The Pedagogical Practices That Typically Occur In An Early Childhood Setting
ive tried googling this but i don't know if im finding the right things.
can someone please give me a website that has the right information
thank you

Lorina

Re: PEDAGOGY

Post by Lorina » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:55 am

I have a document which may help:

Professional Pedagogy Project

Section 3 of this document talks about pedagogical techniques and strategies which will probably help with your response.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

Melissaanne1993

Post by Melissaanne1993 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:48 pm

THANK YOU :) i found this i think this IS right... am i on the right track ?

A Structured Approach describes a highly adult directed curriculum and largely didactic pedagogical techniques, providing
for little initiative on behalf of the child. The rationale for this method is based on development theory where children are
expected to learn skills and concepts in sequence. This approach sees curriculum objectives very clearly defined and the
educator in control of the child’s learning.

An Open Framework Approach provides the educator with a broad framework for learning, the ability to use endless
pedagogical techniques and strategies. As curriculum classification within this approach is less structured, the child has
the freedom and flexibility to make choices between the various learning opportunities on offer. As learning opportunities
provided span across all areas of learning and development, a balanced range of experiences is encouraged over a period of
time. This enables a process of ‘active learning’ where the child constructs his own understandings within a social and physical
environment.

A Child-led Approach is where the educator responds entirely to the child’s interests and activities. Topic or project themes
are adopted based on the child’s interests. The main curriculum emphasis is based on developing the child’s independence,
social and emotional growth, creativity and self expression. The learning environment is designed to open-ended exploration
and discovery

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:11 pm

Is this question referring to the different approaches that are used? Or just "The Pedagogical Practices That Typically Occur In An Early Childhood Setting". I think with this question you are going off in tangents. Here is some more info that may help:
When curriculum is in place it follows that pedagogy is essential for its interpretation and implementation. Pedagogy can be defined as providing a theoretical and philosophical basis to practice. There is the understanding that a teacher has deeply considered his or her personal values and beliefs when grappling with theories and philosophical ideas (Hill, 2003). The early childhood curriculum for the state of South Australia (Department of Education and Children's Services, 2005) provides succinct definitions of pedagogy:

-The function, work and art of educators
-The science and art of putting together learning processes and teaching actions
-How you put into practice your values and beliefs about care and education within your setting/ environment

An example of theorising practice with infants is illustrated by Linke and Fleer (2002) as they explore the distinction between task-based and relationship-based practice. The authors summarise task-based practice as focusing on the schedule in order to implement the program. Relationship–based practice acknowledges the child's own pace of learning and the teacher's reflection before action, which is more representative of pedagogy. An articulated pedagogy provides a framework for dialogue as well as rationale for action that is beyond routinely performing tasks. The process of theorising how routines for infants and toddlers can actualise learning within the curriculum contributes to a pedagogy of care.

These ideas are highlighted in the draft Australian National Early Years Learning Framework (DEEWR, 2008) which states that teachers provide pedagogical leadership, for example, when they:

create a culture of consideration for the ethical implications of relationships and pedagogies
negotiate competing ideas about early childhood and draw on a number of knowledge bases about children, learning and curriculum in order to ensure the best learning outcomes for all children
articulate their practice and its intentions clearly to children, families, colleagues, professionals in other disciplines, and the broader community.

Ref: http://www.earlychildhoodaustralia.org.au

I think with this question it just one you to lists some of the Pedagogical Practices that take place within a centre.

Hope this helps,

L.A

zuzkam

Post by zuzkam » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:51 am

One of my materials lists three Pedagogical Practices - 1, Building and Nuturing Relationships, 2. Curriculum and Decision Making, 3. Teaching and Learning, now I am just filling in examples for these pedagogical practices. So I hope it helps anyone who comes accross this again.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:31 pm

zuzkam wrote:One of my materials lists three Pedagogical Practices - 1, Building and Nuturing Relationships, 2. Curriculum and Decision Making, 3. Teaching and Learning, now I am just filling in examples for these pedagogical practices. So I hope it helps anyone who comes accross this again.
Thanks so much for sharing your information!

Lorina

pola
Participator
Participator

Post by pola » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:15 pm

There are eight pedagogical practices educators use to deliver educational programs to support and enhance children’s learning and development:

Holistic approaches – Example: Educators gather information about children’s families and their backgrounds, interests and family activities so that they can gain a better understanding of the context of each child as a unique individual.

Responsiveness to children - Example: Anita likes to make the nappy change routine a time for building relationships and having fun with her 1 year olds. She sings songs and talks with the children about anything they show interest in. She pays particular attention to the non-verbal cues they give to indicate their interests and ideas.

Learning through play – Example: Jeremy, Ewan’s dad approached John, the Educator at Blue Bay Early Learning Centre and expressed his concern that Ewan wasn’t learning anything because all he does is play all day. Jeremy discussed the importance of children’s play for their development and learning. He later reflected that he would take more effort to make children’s learning through play visible for families.

Intentional teaching- Example: Beth knows that for many of the babies in her care, they are beginning to explore and understand object permanence. With this is mind, she has set up a number of resources including boxes, fabric and toys for children to play hide and seek with. During transitions they are also exploring hide and seek opportunities through the song “Where oh where oh where is …?”

Learning environments – Example: The toddler room at Blue Bay Early Learning Centre is set up to include spaces for children to be alone, to work in small groups as well as engage in large group experiences. Learning areas have been developed to be flexible and responsive to children’s interests, offering open-ended and age-appropriate resources that promote children’s imagination and curiosity. There is a strong sense of community within the room with photos of children and families visible within each learning area.

Cultural competence – Example: The Educators in the preschool room have developed a calendar of events based on a variety of cultural practices found within the service and around the world. This will be used to develop children’s knowledge of different cultures and promote positive attitudes to culture.

Continuity of learning and transitions – Example: When beginning care at Blue Bay Early Learning Centre families attend a number of orientation sessions as well as an interview with their child’s primary Educator so that they can share detailed information about their child with the service to ensure a smooth transition into care.

Assessment for learning – Example: Educators observe, gather and analyse information as evidence about what children know, can do and understand in order to facilitate ongoing learning.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:50 pm

pola wrote:There are eight pedagogical practices educators use to deliver educational programs to support and enhance children’s learning and development:

Holistic approaches – Example: Educators gather information about children’s families and their backgrounds, interests and family activities so that they can gain a better understanding of the context of each child as a unique individual.

Responsiveness to children - Example: Anita likes to make the nappy change routine a time for building relationships and having fun with her 1 year olds. She sings songs and talks with the children about anything they show interest in. She pays particular attention to the non-verbal cues they give to indicate their interests and ideas.

Learning through play – Example: Jeremy, Ewan’s dad approached John, the Educator at Blue Bay Early Learning Centre and expressed his concern that Ewan wasn’t learning anything because all he does is play all day. Jeremy discussed the importance of children’s play for their development and learning. He later reflected that he would take more effort to make children’s learning through play visible for families.

Intentional teaching- Example: Beth knows that for many of the babies in her care, they are beginning to explore and understand object permanence. With this is mind, she has set up a number of resources including boxes, fabric and toys for children to play hide and seek with. During transitions they are also exploring hide and seek opportunities through the song “Where oh where oh where is …?”

Learning environments – Example: The toddler room at Blue Bay Early Learning Centre is set up to include spaces for children to be alone, to work in small groups as well as engage in large group experiences. Learning areas have been developed to be flexible and responsive to children’s interests, offering open-ended and age-appropriate resources that promote children’s imagination and curiosity. There is a strong sense of community within the room with photos of children and families visible within each learning area.

Cultural competence – Example: The Educators in the preschool room have developed a calendar of events based on a variety of cultural practices found within the service and around the world. This will be used to develop children’s knowledge of different cultures and promote positive attitudes to culture.

Continuity of learning and transitions – Example: When beginning care at Blue Bay Early Learning Centre families attend a number of orientation sessions as well as an interview with their child’s primary Educator so that they can share detailed information about their child with the service to ensure a smooth transition into care.

Assessment for learning – Example: Educators observe, gather and analyse information as evidence about what children know, can do and understand in order to facilitate ongoing learning.
Thanks for sharing!

Lorina

suzanngodden

Post by suzanngodden » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:39 pm

Can anyone help me with this question?!?!

Why is it important for educator to reflect on their pedagogical practices and continually refine them?

nagalakshmi

Post by nagalakshmi » Tue May 23, 2017 1:00 pm

hi louria ,
i want the answer for practices and principles for two examples in an education and care services

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue May 23, 2017 10:27 pm

nagalakshmi wrote:hi louria ,
i want the answer for practices and principles for two examples in an education and care services
You tell me the answer and I'll let you know if you're on the right track...

Lorina

Suetry

Post by Suetry » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:26 am

Hi, Could someone help me explain bottle preparation as a pedagogical practice, I can't seem to find the right explanation for my assessment :?:

Thanks so much